Builds "TEDDY" Build - 1987 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mud Members,

Last week (Feb 20, 2019) I purchased my 1987 FJ60 @ 197k miles in South Florida. The cruiser needs a lot of work and I couldn't be more excited to start on it.

I went down to Florida to purchase it sight unseen after talking with the owner over the phone. The owner had described to me how the rig needed a serious restoration and that it did in fact run and drive with the help of a jump start, starter fluid, and a buddy to hold the choke open until it got warm. The Cruiser had plenty of body rust issues, including a serious hole in the back corner of the roof, but only surface rust on the frame. The glovebox and stereo were missing, tires were old and cracking, the dash splitting, and the driver's side mirror had broken off at the base, among other issues.

After starting the cruiser to move it to a loadable location, I left town and eagerly awaited for the vehicle transporter to call stating my new Cruiser was on the way home. The next day I arrived back home in South Carolina and waited for my dream vehicle to be delivered. The Cruiser was unloaded safely, but my amigo transporting it got stuck in my yard. Luckily a Good 'ol boy with a 4x4 stopped by to pull him out. I signed my papers, paid the driver, and took a moment to enjoy my new purchase.

Anyways, as I stated it needs a ton of work, but I'm gonna do my best to do everything properly and speedily. I've wanted a 60 for a long time and I'm very anxious to drive it. I'll keep everyone up to date on current projects and include plenty of photographs of my rig. I'll also be updating my to-do list as time goes on.

I plan to build this into a Daily/Overlanding rig and maybe swap in a Toyota Diesel engine.

Lastly, please share any relevant experience or information you may have. I'm not what I'd consider green, but I'm definitely no expert. I want to learn as much as possible.

Named for our 26th and most Bada** president.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CURRENT SETUP

Vehicle Name: Theodore "TEDDY"
Current Mileage: 197,676
Modifications: Desmogged
Wheel & Tire Setup: OEM, Falken Wildpeak HT

STAGE 1: Starting & Running Necessities
  • Fix vacuum line mess/Desmog 4/19
  • New battery 3/19
  • Electronics check 3/19
  • Drain gas, replace 4/19
  • New oil and filter
  • Coolant super flush 4/19
  • New plugs 3/19
  • New plug wires 6/19
STAGE 2: Daily Reliability Fixes
  • Take to Trollhole's Cruisers for inspection 6/19
  • Trollhole carburetor 6/19
  • Trollhole De-Smog Tuning 6/19
  • Eddlebrock choke cable 6/19
  • New tires 3/19
  • New hoses
  • New belts
  • New air filter
  • New fuel filter 5/19
  • New thermostat 7/19
  • SOR FJ62 side view mirrors 3/19
  • Fix rust spots
  • New wiper blades 4/19
  • Refurbish gas tank 4/20
STAGE 3: Repairs and Upgrades
  • Replace missing stereo
  • Replace missing glove box 4/19
  • Desmog 4/19
  • Toyota Diesel swap
  • Old Man Emu suspension
  • Roof rack
  • Removable drawer setup
  • Rear-mounted spare
  • Repair cracked dash
  • Lightweight electric cooling fan
  • Tuffy Security console
  • New rear window lift struts
  • Bay shave & wire tuck
  • Stainless steel battery tray

Last edited:
Here is a link to my thread detailing the vacuum line fix I'm currently working on.

I saw that one. It was advertised as a 5-speed, that wasn’t true was it?

Congrats man! And you can drain the tank there is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank also look up the oil galley plug fix do that first if it hasn't been done its in the faq section above

Hey Mud Members,

Last week (Feb 20, 2019) I purchased my 1987 FJ60 for $2900 @ 197k miles in South Florida. The cruiser needs a lot of work and I couldn't be more excited to start on it.

View attachment 1914586

I went down to Florida to purchase it sight unseen after talking with the owner over the phone. The owner had described to me how the rig needed a serious restoration and that it did in fact run and drive with the help of a jump start, starter fluid, and a buddy to hold the choke open until it got warm. The Cruiser had plenty of body rust issues, including a serious hole in the back corner of the roof, but only surface rust on the frame. The glovebox and stereo were missing, tires were old and cracking, the dash splitting, and the driver's side mirror had broken off at the base, among other issues.

After starting the cruiser to move it to a loadable location, I left town and eagerly awaited for the vehicle transporter to call stating my new Cruiser was on the way home. The next day I arrived back home in South Carolina and waited for my dream vehicle to be delivered. The Cruiser was unloaded safely, but my amigo transporting it got stuck in my yard. Luckily a Good 'ol boy with a 4x4 stopped by to pull him out. I signed my papers, paid the driver, and took a moment to enjoy my new purchase.

View attachment 1914582

Anyways, as I stated it needs a ton of work, but I'm gonna do my best to do everything properly and speedily. I've wanted a 60 for a long time and I'm very anxious to drive it. I'll keep everyone up to date on current projects and include plenty of photographs of my rig. I'll also be updating my to-do list as time goes on.

I plan to build this into a Daily/Overlanding rig and maybe swap in a Toyota Diesel engine.

Lastly, please share any relevant experience or information you may have. I'm not what I'd consider green, but I'm definitely no expert. I want to learn as much as possible.

Named for our 26th and most Bada** president.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vehicle Name: Theodore "TEDDY"
Current Mileage: 197,676
Modifications: None
Wheel & Tire Setup: OEM, Grabber MT (NEEDS REPLACING)

View attachment 1914562

STAGE 1: Starting & Running Necessities
  • Fix vacuum line mess
  • New battery
  • Electronics check
  • Drain gas, replace
  • New oil and filter
  • New coolant
  • New plugs
  • New fuel pump
STAGE 2: Daily Reliability Fixes
  • Take to Trollhole's Cruisers for inspection
  • Clean and adjust carburetor
  • New tires
  • New silicone hoses
  • New belts
  • Replace side view mirrors
  • Fix rust spots
  • New silicone wiper blades
  • New air filter
STAGE 3: Repairs and Upgrades
  • Replace missing stereo
  • Replace missing glove box
  • Desmog
  • Toyota Diesel swap
  • Old Man Emu suspension
  • Roof rack
  • Removable drawer setup
  • Rear mounted spare
  • Repair cracked dash
  • Lightweight electric cooling fan
  • Tuffy Security console
  • New rear window lift struts
Congrats on your new addiction. Subscribed

Planning to purchase a donor roof and mate it as of now. Open to suggestions.

Probably easier than rolling sheet metal and welding that in.

Props to you for taking on a project that many others wouldn't!

Since I last posted I've put in a new battery, new spark plugs, and tested the lights & electronics.

I searched for hours trying to decide on a battery. I read in a couple of forum posts that the Sears Platinums wear unbeatable for the price, but alas, they were discontinued. I played with the idea of an Interstate, but cringed at the $300+ price tag. Eventually, I read one member's comment stating that a couple of rock crawlers had once told him 'not to even bother with finding the "best" battery. Just go with whatever has 800+ CCA and a 3+ year warranty'. So I settled on a Duralast Gold with 810 CCA and 3 year warranty + 2 year prorated replacement.

I went to check my lights afterward, but had locked my steering wheel and couldn't turn my key. The key no longer would lock into the tumbler like normal either. It just slid in and out without having to press the key release button. I felt like a total noob. I was worried the tumbler had fully broken.

After looking for a solution, I jiggled the locked steering wheel while turning the key with a bit of force. The key turned and the wheel unlocked. Relief. I tested all the lights and was happy to find they all worked. I don't know if the gauge cluster has any backlighting, but I didn't see anything other than the turn signal indicators and the brights indicator. Neither of the three horn buttons worked. After taking the key out it would only slide in and out again without turning. Back to square one.

I found some powdered graphite that aided the process and now I have no issues with the key and tumbler.

Next, I turned my attention to replacing the spark plugs.

I used a 13/16in spark plug socket to remove the plugs. I had some trouble so I went to grab my breaker bar, extension pieces, and adapter bits.

I got plugs 1-5 out with relative ease. I figured cylinder 6 would be tricky due to its location. Apparently, it was for the previous owner or whoever changed the plugs last. Plug 6 I was able to hand turn. It had backed out on its own. Not a good sign, but the plugs all seemed to be in decent shape. Then again, I wouldn't know haha.

I decided to use my torque wrench to install the new NGK V-power plugs.
I set the torque to 18lb ft. and reattached the plug wires. Done for the day.

Last edited:
Welcome to the party.

Looks like you've been an avid Mud reader for some time. You paid just the right price for that rig in todays market. Rough yes, But it's all fixable. Enjoy the journey...

And in my opinion... I would get right on top of a desmog. By the looks of the handle bar grip repair you're 3% into one all ready. 🤣Let Teddy breath!

Welcome to the party.

Looks like you've been an avid Mud reader for some time. You paid just the right price for that rig in todays market. Rough yes, But it's all fixable. Enjoy the journey...

And in my opinion... I would get right on top of a desmog. By the looks of the handle bar grip repair you're 3% into one all ready. 🤣Let Teddy breath!

I'm wrestling with how to do that. Many vacuum lines are either not plugged up to anything at all or plugged into the incorrect location. Some even have special objects inserted into them. I'll post pics later... I want to desmog and correct the mistakes at the same time, but I don't know this engine well yet. I did download an emissions control pdf from Trollhole and a desmog pdf as well.

For anyone watching this thread, here is a link to Trollhole's Factory Service Manuals (FSM)s for various models of cruisers.

Download the entire emissions manual. Not just the single PDF as it's not detailed enough. Don't get me wrong... You'll still refer to it but it ain't the bible like the actual manual.

Also note: In the Trollhole list of manuals. You want the engine manual marked "1980 2F Motor FSM" engine manual for your year, not the one marked "1985 2F-3F FSM". You can read my thread and find out how I learned the hard way.

As they say, "you get the easy education or the hard lesson" I seam to mostly choose the ladder...

We're here for ya bud. Keep us updated...

joe

Download the entire emissions manual. Not just the single PDF as it's not detailed enough. Don't get me wrong... You'll still refer to it but it ain't the bible like the actual manual.

Also note: In the Trollhole list of manuals. You want the engine manual marked "1980 2F Motor FSM" engine manual for your year, not the one marked "1985 2F-3F FSM". You can read my thread and find out how I learned the hard way.

As they say, "you get the easy education or the hard lesson" I seam to mostly choose the ladder...

We're here for ya bud. Keep us updated...

joe

Yep, I grabbed the 1980 FSM. I went to look at the 1985 2F-3F FSM but quickly found "2F" was nowhere to be found in the document.

Where can I grab the entire emissions manual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom