FJ60 Gas Tank Recall Update: January 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They offered me more than $9k sight unseen to take mine back. The service manager told me they just go straight to the crusher. I had mine replaced this summer. They are authorized to do the work including sourcing other parts to replace what is no longer available. In fact the service manager told me it was profitable for the dealership to do the work as they bill Toyota for the extra parts and labor.

Add another successful completion to the boards. Build thread has the details.

I just started this process- Called my local dealer and they ran my VIN and said there were two recalls for my truck one being the gas tank and the other having to do with some retaining clips for the rear seat beats. I asked her to proceed. The local rep calls back a day later and said the parts needed to complete the work on the seat belts were not available. I told her I really wasn't interested in that recall, only changing out the gas tank. She told me that since they couldn't do both recalls that someone from Toyota would have to call me to discuss the recalls and propose a buyout.

A few days later i get a call from Frisco TX and its Toyota and she basically said the same thing the local rep had already conveyed- but she did confirm that they had all the parts to replace the tank even though it shows discontinued. I asked her about the buyback, and she said they would pay the lowest NADA blue book value. Told her i wasn't interested in a buyback and if we could just proceed with replacing the tank and she said yes and would reach out to the dealer and ship the parts-

Not sure why they had to put me in the middle, but it looks like it's going to happen.

Had the tank on my USA '83 successfully replaced under recall in June, even though I imported it to Canada. Took a few phone calls to be sure. Be sure to give your dealer a new pickup tube assembly as that wasn't covered under recall (at least mine wasn't, they said) and after all these years it will no doubt be shot. OEM pickup tube replacements still available from a few sources (got mine from cruiserparts.net).

Had the tank on my USA '83 successfully replaced under recall in June, even though I imported it to Canada. Took a few phone calls to be sure. Be sure to give your dealer a new pickup tube assembly as that wasn't covered under recall (at least mine wasn't, they said) and after all these years it will no doubt be shot. OEM pickup tube replacements still available from a few sources (got mine from cruiserparts.net).

I know it sounds crazy, but they’re also available from that same dealership that’s doing the recall

Not crazy at all, but even more crazy is the Toyota dealership said Toyota USA didn't want to send "Land Cruiser" parts to Canada, or some such BS. There was also some discrepancy on the part number required. I think the only difference on the one I bought was the pickup screen at the end of the tube, but because it was different than that prescribed for an 83, the dealership said they couldn't get one. It was only a $50 part, but the overnight shipping was $100, FFS.

I just started this process- Called my local dealer and they ran my VIN and said there were two recalls for my truck one being the gas tank and the other having to do with some retaining clips for the rear seat beats. I asked her to proceed. The local rep calls back a day later and said the parts needed to complete the work on the seat belts were not available. I told her I really wasn't interested in that recall, only changing out the gas tank. She told me that since they couldn't do both recalls that someone from Toyota would have to call me to discuss the recalls and propose a buyout.

A few days later i get a call from Frisco TX and its Toyota and she basically said the same thing the local rep had already conveyed- but she did confirm that they had all the parts to replace the tank even though it shows discontinued. I asked her about the buyback, and she said they would pay the lowest NADA blue book value. Told her i wasn't interested in a buyback and if we could just proceed with replacing the tank and she said yes and would reach out to the dealer and ship the parts-

Not sure why they had to put me in the middle, but it looks like it's going to happen.
I took the last two seat belt clips while mine was in for the gas tank recall.

Been working on getting this done the past 2 or 3 weeks. 1st dealer was an ass, second was nice but said I would need to talk to corporate. Then it was back to dealer customer relations, then district rep, then back to corporate. Every step of the way the answer was "parts are no longer available". I explained every time that there are just a few hoses that are discontinued that could be replaced with bulk fuel hose, everything else is available, including the tank. I even offered to provide pictures of service invoices posted here showing what parts had been used at other dealers.

I finally got a definitive answer from my case manager at corporate that parts are "no longer available according to our technical compliance department" and they would not be able to do this work. He understood my reasoning of why I thought they should do the work with bulk fuel hose. But the answer was ultimately no, and there was nobody left at the corporate level for me to talk to. They are happy to let me buy a tank on my own or buy back my truck.

Don't give up, @reddog90. Looks like you have upwards of 15 dealers to deal with around Houston. Try the smaller, more rural ones. As best I can tell, Corporate seems to keep a weaker relationship with them and they tend to run a little fast and loose.

Been working on getting this done the past 2 or 3 weeks. 1st dealer was an ass, second was nice but said I would need to talk to corporate. Then it was back to dealer customer relations, then district rep, then back to corporate. Every step of the way the answer was "parts are no longer available". I explained every time that there are just a few hoses that are discontinued that could be replaced with bulk fuel hose, everything else is available, including the tank. I even offered to provide pictures of service invoices posted here showing what parts had been used at other dealers.

I finally got a definitive answer from my case manager at corporate that parts are "no longer available according to our technical compliance department" and they would not be able to do this work. He understood my reasoning of why I thought they should do the work with bulk fuel hose. But the answer was ultimately no, and there was nobody left at the corporate level for me to talk to. They are happy to let me buy a tank on my own or buy back my truck.

when does the check come in?

Hi all, I recently received an FJ62 from a good friend of mine and am working through the process of getting the tank recall completed.

I have only worked with one local dealer up to this point and my experience so far seems to be pretty standard: the service department scheduled a repair appointment without any fuss, but upon further research by the parts department realized that parts were no longer available and cancelled the appointment. I plan on calling them back on Monday to hopefully get a corporate contact, but I was curious if anyone has gone through the process of filing a complaint directly with the NHTSA to put pressure on Toyota to complete the repair? If so I'd love to hear your experience and if you received a positive outcome.

After the dealer cancelled my service appointment yesterday I called the NHTSA hotline and filed a complaint over the phone which took a total of about 5 - 10 minutes. I will report back with the outcome either positive or negative once things get resolved.

62 tanks are NLA. 60 tanks are still available.

62 tanks are NLA. 60 tanks are still available.
That checks with what I have read so far...do you know what that means in terms of Toyota's legal requirement to perform the required repairs? Do they just offer a buyback option for 62 owners and call it good?

That checks with what I have read so far...do you know what that means in terms of Toyota's legal requirement to perform the required repairs? Do they just offer a buyback option for 62 owners and call it good?
That's their out.

Lots of 62s on the road with other solutions. If it goes to them, it gets crushed out. It can be saved, just poke around a bit for solutions.

At this point The only obligation is to buy the vehicle back. You don't get to pick the number. You accept it or keep the truck. A buy-back will be crushed.

I would think if the tank hasn't failed by the issue by now, it is OK.
the tanks now seem to be failing by rust issues which is not the recall issue.
I daily drive my 62 and am not worried about it.
just my 2 cents

Its not a big deal to mod a new 60 tank for EFI. I sell a kit and so does @FJ60Cam.
If you really want to drive your 62 forever and you badly need a fuel tank, then $1k or so should not be a huge expense in terms of keeping a +30 year old enthusiast vehicle on the road.

When it becomes a serious problem the aftermarket will step in.

True a tank could be modified but the only way to get a new one is if it is supplied to an FJ60 with an uncompleted recall. Modifying it doesn't work if you can't get one.

At this point The only obligation is to buy the vehicle back. You don't get to pick the number. You accept it or keep the truck. A buy-back will be crushed.
cruiserdan , Does Toyota (or the dealer I guess) care how a "buy back" truck is delivered to the dealer ? I guess what I'm asking is do they care if all the parts on the vehicle are intact or a shell, frame, and title acceptable?
I know that Toyota bought back many Tacoma's for frame rust, but I don't recall if they cared how the truck came in to the dealer to complete the buy back process. Is there some type of inspection process other than verifying the VIN?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom