FJ60 Gas Tank Recall Update: January 2020 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would call a different dealer or ask to talk to the service manager. They have tanks left but have to cobble together the other bits. Which is no big deal.

When I had my tank done I asked for the old one back and service manager said couldn't be done due to liability.

After doing a 3FE swap into a FJ60 I asked if the tank recall could be performed because the donor FJ62 had had the original tank. Answer was no since the VIN would not match for the recall. I could have driven the wrecked but running FJ62 in and had it done had I known.

So anyone know what part number 77100-35550 does for the FJ62? It is listed as "Fuel Tank." I've checked three different Toyota dealership sites and they all say this will fit my 89 fj62 even though it doesn't look flat-ish like the PN# 77100-60221. Scroll to the last pic and you will see both PN side by side with the 60221 discontinued, of course, and labeled as the Sub assembly while the 35550 is listed as the assembly. Also notice the difference in prices for the same PN!!! Megazip has the 35550 at $691.93, insane! Anyway, what is the difference between the assembly and the sub assembly when they both look like fuel tanks to me and they both supposedly fit? Could it be that since Toyota has left us high and dry (and no genius entrepreneur with a fancy 3D printer has taken on the task of an aftermarket part match has made an appearance on the scene) that this could be a retro fit since I see it also fits the 4-runner? Sorry if this is stupid rambling, or if this has been answered somewhere else on Mudd...enlighten me...please. Have I stumbled into a honey hole or a worm hole?
Site 1:
1592947682332.png

Site 2:
1592948165774.png

Site 3:

1592948814864.png

Seems reasonable to revive this thread rather than fire up a new one.

I've had one tank recall done, and working on my second now. 1st was a pain but it was done. This one is going much slower, and I'm beginning to think it may not happen. 1st dealership gave a bunch of red-tape and then pulled some shadiness (I was left with the feeling that they just didn't want to mess with a 30+ year old truck), so I've tried another one. Parts said they could see tanks in the US, but Service says they've placed the order and the tank is on backorder. Who knows if, or when, the tank will appear. At some point they'll be gone...maybe that time has come and gone?

Thanks for the info about not being able to buy one OTC. That was plan B if the dealer red-tape got to be too much to handle.

*edit - forgot to include that Parts said I could have one next day for a few ticks north of $1000.

Last edited:
If the recall was done, I doubt they will sell you a second one.

The part number for the tank is on a limited-part-release schedule which generally means only vehicles that have not had the recall done can get the part.

OTC sales are non-existent with this part.

That said, maybe you will get a parts department who can grow unicorns. I’ll be impressed if you actually get the tank.

This will be for my 2nd 60. It still has an open recall. Thus my surprise at the headwinds I'm getting.

Ahhh. I see. You should have no issues getting the tank. If you do, escalate your case.

Thanks for chiming in here, @Onur.

Good to hear. I've seen you post in other places that there's a code associated to where a part stands in its life cycle. Where in that cycle are the 60 tanks showing to be?

As for escalation, that may happen. Who should I call?

It is Class Code C1. Sort of in the middle of the product life-cycle.

There are 31 tanks in US depot stock. 11 in transit from the Mothership. You should have NO issues getting this part for a valid VIN that requires a recall.

If your dealership says anything less, find a new one or talk to the Service Director or Fixed Ops Director. If that doesn’t work, escalate to the General Manager.

F840E8AA-C62D-47B0-8DE8-FC891710E11E.jpeg

Holy crap. I'm getting gamed, dealing with button pushers, or both. I'll go ahead and run this up the chain. Many thanks, especially on the C1 status, that'll help others down the road.

My 1984 had the gas tank recall done in 1991. Carfax lists one open recall. Any way to determine what that is? Call the dealer?

The link below takes you to Toyota's recall portal. Your recall is likely the rear seat belts, which are NLA I believe.

Service Manager finally called back and explained their deal:

The service kit PN listed in the recall has been DC'd - I assume that's due to a few of the hoses within it being DC'd. He says he can see tanks in the system, but that he has to eat the cost of using PNs other than those listed in the service kit PN unless he gets approval from the district office. I'm unsure whether that's correct or not, but the bureaucracy is believable given what was explained at the beginning of this thread.

Service Manager finally called back and explained their deal:

The service kit PN listed in the recall has been DC'd - I assume that's due to a few of the hoses within it being DC'd. He says he can see tanks in the system, but that he has to eat the cost of using PNs other than those listed in the service kit PN unless he gets approval from the district office. I'm unsure whether that's correct or not, but the bureaucracy is believable given what was explained at the beginning of this thread.

That is correct....it is just a few hoses that can be easily sourced. I have the individual parts listed out in another thread with the ones marked that are unavailable along with the receipt from my dealer. They had no problem replacing those few hoses. Feel free to print out my receipt and take it to your dealer. I did pay for a pickup for a couple hundred bucks and that is all they charged me for....no extra labor. This way I was all new. I didn't take my pickup off but I assume from seeing pics posted on here that is was dirty and probably rusty.

Here is the thread from when I had mine done....good luck.

Oddly enough, I attached my other truck's recall completion paperwork in that thread. It reminds me to pull that and send over to show that corporate already has precedence in taking this route.

Buy the required hoses separate, provide them if that helps solve the issue easier. Either way it's a recall and they are required to fix the problem you will just need to get the upper levels to force their hand and get it done.

Buy the required hoses separate, provide them if that helps solve the issue easier. Either way it's a recall and they are required to fix the problem you will just need to get the upper levels to force their hand and get it done.

as crazy as it sounds there have been guys on here that have sold their truck back to Toyota over this recall. Some have had pushback from the highest levels. You are best off finding a good dealer that will work with you. I went armed with info from here and had printed receipts from other MUD members expecting pushback but they took it right away with a smile.....parts took about a week to come in and they called me and had it done in a day. Even refilled it with fresh gas. All about the dealer.

I'm curious about what Mr. T is paying to take them back, and what they do with them after the purchase. The repair itself is pretty inexpensive, so I wouldn't expect them to offer much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom