FJ60 Gas Tank Recall Update: January 2020 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know HOES are still available. Mr. T keeping that pimp hand strong.

u posted a picture of that pickup tube, but no part number, i tried so hard to get ahold of that piece and had no luck, what is the part number

Whats the Best way of going about checking your vin? Dealerships still have Records that far back?

I forget; was this recall necessary for the 62 series as well? Would you be willing to check my VIN to see if it's been done or not, if the 62 series was included?

I forget; was this recall necessary for the 62 series as well? Would you be willing to check my VIN to see if it's been done or not, if the 62 series was included?

No. Because the gas tank for the 62 is discontinued.

No. Because the gas tank for the 62 is discontinued.
Flat out gone and completely NLA I suspect?

Guess if I have issues in the future I'll have to look at a long range tank 😂

Hi Onur... Thank You for the information. I know for a fact that my '87FJ60 fuel tank has not been replaced in the recall since I'm the original owner. That being said... IIRC the recall was due to the orig. tank "possibly" cracking at seams due to expansion/contraction over time? My current original tank is fine. In any case do you or other FJ60 owners here on MUD think it is still worth the effort to get the replacement tank installed? Thanks

Just had the gas tank recall performed here in Colorado at Stevinson Toyota West. They didn’t have any issues and did the job without any hassles. Not many gas tanks left but a worthy endeavor for sure and it was free!!

A3F8A9F8-EFC9-41FC-9BE1-7F94678C8179.jpeg

It’s a free part.

An expensive one.

Why not get one extra.

if you get the recall done do you get to keep the old one? Or does Toyota take it and destroy it?

if you get the recall done do you get to keep the old one? Or does Toyota take it and destroy it?

That you would need to discuss with your dealer.

Correct Toyota protocol is that removed parts are returned to the parts department. The parts department then returns it to Toyota for warranty claim inspection or the part is "field scrapped."

I think it would be highly unlikely they would let you keep your old one, your mileage may vary with your dealer. They offer buy backs on these rigs that still need recall work and then take them to a crusher. I think you could pull your tank prior to going in and then it shouldn’t be a problem. If I was going to take the buy back money I would strip it down prior to sending off.

It's a gamble for the dealer if warranty will request the part(s) back. They will hang on to the tank I bet to avoid a possible debit. I used to be a field rep and had many tough situations with dealers that had big claim debits for lack of part return. Also cut my share of list 3 items like seatbelts for the field scrap that Onur is referring to. I always wonder if I ever destroyed any oem rear 3 point seatbelts for 62s. Those would be great to have back....

Does anyone know if they still have any of these parts at the dealerships? I called Auburn Toyota CA. and they told me they couldn't find these parts and that my truck hasn't had it done yet.

That you would need to discuss with your dealer.

Correct Toyota protocol is that removed parts are returned to the parts department. The parts department then returns it to Toyota for warranty claim inspection or the part is "field scrapped."

Thats what I figured. I'd think it would be a liability for Toyota to not take control of the old tank so as to avoid it ending up back in another vehicle and failing for the reason of the recall.

this thread will answer your question...I had mine done and posted the parts list in this thread. There is a fuel tank "kit" that is discontinued containing a few fuel lines that my dealer simply had to make. It all just depends on your dealer and how bad they want a smile on your face. You may try a few and even take some info from the thread below to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom