FJ40 Weatherstripping guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vae Victus

Posting more than I know
Threads
Although much of the Fj40 wstripping is still available OEM, it is about $1000 -2000 all told. Can we build a weather stripping guide like the FJ55 guide that exists in the 55 area?

NOTE: Just starting to rough in the guide, based on the FJ55 thread. I'll begin to fill in the details as I'm able.

FJ40 Weatherstripping

Source/ Price/ Part #/ Length

Top Weatherstripping - for the hardtop

Inexpensive Alternative:
FostKing Garage Door Weatherstripping from Home Depot / $18 / FrostKing G18 / 16'

As quoted by "swelltimes" here:
Using a 2.25", 16' long piece of Frost King "garage door bottom seal," from Home Depot, I was able to make a pretty close approximation of the original seal. I think the Frost King part number is G16.

Window Channel - the part that the window moves through on the edges when going up and down

Driver /
Passenger/

Window Felt (straight chrome w/ felt)

Driver/
Passenger/

Door Weatherstrip - the part that attaches on the door.

For Model Years: (7501-7709)PIC,V ; (7501-7709)PIC,V ; (7709-8007)BJ40,FJ4# ; (7709-8007)BJ40,FJ4#

CCOT version:
Driver/CCOT/ $97.10/ 97862-60300 (CCOT is reselling OEM part, but OEM part # is 67862-90300, OEM Cost $71)
Passenger/ CCOT / $97.10 / 97861-60300 (OEM Part)
Tailgate - Driver's Side / CCOT / $71 / 98292-60301 (OEM Part)
Tailgate - Passenger's Side / CCOT / $75 / 98291-60302 (OEM Part)

OEM Version:
OEM Part Number Source: http://www.toyotapartszone.com

Driver/ OEM/ $71(approx)/ 67862-90300
Passenger/ OEM / $71(approx) / 67861-90300
Tailgate - Driver's Side / OEM / $54 / 68291-90302
Tailgate - Passenger's Side / OEM / $52 / 68291-90301

SOR.COM Version:

Driver/ SOR/ $145 / 126-03A-KIT /Kit includes door weatherstrip, window felts, window channel, etc ("RIGHT FRONT DOOR WEATHERSTRIP KIT")
Passenger/ SOR/ $145 / 126-03A-KIT /Kit includes door weatherstrip, window felts, etc ("LEFT FRONT DOOR WEATHERSTRIP KIT")
Tailgate - Driver's Side / SOR / /
Tailgate - Passenger's Side / SOR / /

Generic Versions

Driver - Metro/Universal Bulb Seal / approx $20 for 8' (Need 2 kits per door) / MW-78348 / http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...mIdentifier=267100_0_0&CJPID=6148504&cmpid=cj OR
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Moulded-...ersal+MW+78348
Passenger - same as above.

Note: This generic reportedly works on full doors and has been verified by two individuals to work on 1/2 doors here: Thread on Generic Door Weatherstrip

Photos of Metro/Universal MW-78348:
image-571895733.jpg
Packaging w Dimensions
image-1000928363.jpg
Edge View
image-4165290063.jpg
1/2 Door Installation
image-2089520963.jpg
1/2 Door Installation

Door Edge Guard
Driver / $8 Pair / PENN-39-201 / 3'
Passenger /

Body Moulding

Driver/ / $/ / 25 ft (enough for 2 doors)
Passenger/ / / /
Left Rear/ / $/ / 25 ft (enough for 2 doors)
Right Rear/ / / /
Tailgate/ / / /

Ambulance Doors
Left Rear/ OEM / $? / 68291-90301
Right rear/ OEM / $? / 68292-90301

Glass Weatherstrip

Windshield/ / $/
Cargo - Left & Right// $
Left Rear (small)/ $UnObtanium/
Right Rear (small)/ $UnObtanium/

Other Items
Metal clips for attaching door panels/ www.restorationspecialties.com/ page 129, part #1969 / $0.85 /
Plastic insert for attaching door panels/ www.restorationspecialties.com/ ??
Metal clips for attaching window felt / www.restorationspecialties.com/ page 91 part#11411
image-571895733.jpg
image-1000928363.jpg
image-4165290063.jpg
image-2089520963.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a ton if details to provide but I like where your head's at!

From my reading (no personal experience) it seems like:

Doors: most people have voted 100% OEM here. I've seen a couple of people say the SOR stripping isn't bad as well - but you're not saving much over OEM. From what I've read, CCOT stripping should be avoided.

Hard top to tub gasket: this I've seen lots of creativity with - seems like any number of generic, wide weather stripping works here with some proper cutting.

Roof to hard top gasket: I've seen a few people do "custom" work here, and I haven't heard a ton of complaints about aftermarket products here.

Windshield pad: there seem to be quite a few options/custom jobs here as well. I think I read somewhere that CCOT was too thick but I may be mistaken.

As I said, I've read numerous posts as this is down the road for me, BUT I do not have personal experience with any of these products - so take it with a grain of salt. I just spend a lot of time on MUD.

I started reading the FJ55 thread from the beginning, fell asleep, and went to the end to try to get more recent part numbers. 31 pages over 6 years. How can the 40 crowd be so complacent and not create one of these?

Bulk rolls of stripping are being purchased from Rock Auto and a couple others at less than an OEM cost for the 55 crowd. Of course there's a couple of pieces by SloCruisers that are custom and must be gold lined.

If we could compile a list and/or push some manufacturers to make some custom, perhaps we could get the best list of OEM where a substitute just cannot be found + 3rd party where a sub works great to get best cost.

For example - door stripping should be possible to find. Maybe no square corners though - so OEM may be the best choice.

Fixed window and windshield stripping though - should be multiple sources.

Same for rolling windows.

Side vent windows on older models may be tough.

I'm up for the challenge but may need some help from owners of other years....

The square corner door strips can easily be cut and glued with rubber cement . I agree that OEM is preferred but the pricing on this stuff is a bit lofty for most folks and honestly a bit silly on Toyota's part . I have scanned through some of the vintage hot rod suppliers but the higher quality seals , especially for windows approach the cost of OEM TEQ parts .
Knocking on $1,000 to re-rubber/re-strip a Cruiser is crazy .
Sarge

I'd sure love to find something for my half doors. No way I'm wasing money on factory seals for half doors. Haven't found any good options yet.

Honestly, I reckon it's worth buying all new Toyota. Sure it's $1000, but it will last you another 30 years. That's less than $34 per year :) I've done that on every cruiser I've owned and never regretted it once.

I also bought ccot door weather striping once and regretted it until I replaced it with factory....then I was just mad that I had to strip off the crappy weatherstrip to put the good stuff on.

I put new stripping on my LX seven years ago and it still looks new. This was my daily driver in Australia, so it was outside most days. Cruiser Dan sent it to me and I installed it as soon as the paint was dry.

I haven't done it yet but I hear garage door weather strip works well between the top and tub. It should be less than 50 bucks.

Some PO put a sun roof in my fiberglass top. :rolleyes:
The hole removed enough rigidity such that a single snowfall cracked it from stem to stern and across the B pillars too.

Why it seemed like a good idea to put a sunroof in a truck with a removable top is baffling.

I'm lucky in a way. At least I have bigger leaks to deal with before I can even start to think about weatherstrip.

Kick vent seals too............ but they probably wont break the bank.

Didn't realize they had seals - LOL mine don't.

I'm starting to understand why no one has done this. Just to look up the parts from these 3 sites (of what is OEM available) is a lesson in itself. Of course, there are NO pictures anywhere.

I have 11 rows in a spreadsheet just for the front doors for the '75 01-'80 07 model years.

If I plan to find and list alternative for each of these elements, A) it's going to take a while, 3) it's going to be a lot of data.... :banana::banana:

First off, I don't have $1000 to spare.

Secondly, door weather stripping is no longer availible for 74 doors.
I'd love to have some more reasonable alternatives.

I bought my door weatherstripping for my 72 from Dan at American Toyota. I paid about $80 total shipped to my door. I'm glad I decided to go OEM. That seemed like a great deal too. Cheaper than CCOT and SOR.

Aftermarket kick vent weatherstripping is available from cruisercorps for $10 bucks for the pair. I went with that and have no complaints. Also bought their aftermarket front windshield seal and lock. No complaints there either.

For the fiberglass top I used some RV weatherstripping from Autozone. I think it ran me about $15 bucks and I had quite a bit left over.

Bought the 3 piece window channels from CCOT. They are okay.

I'd sure love to find something for my half doors. No way I'm wasing money on factory seals for half doors. Haven't found any good options yet.

I would go to an old school auto paint store and ask them about trim - we have this one in the Phoenix are http://www.spaceagepaint.com/ and they have all kinds of trim you have never seen before . . .

surely there must be something like that in your area . . .

Kick vent seals too............ but they probably wont break the bank.

I got the kick vent seals from Specter Offroad - mine are still good, so they are rotting away in an Arizona garage :rolleyes:

Didn't realize they had seals - LOL mine don't.

I'm starting to understand why no one has done this. Just to look up the parts from these 3 sites (of what is OEM available) is a lesson in itself. Of course, there are NO pictures anywhere.

I have 11 rows in a spreadsheet just for the front doors for the '75 01-'80 07 model years.

If I plan to find and list alternative for each of these elements, A) it's going to take a while, 3) it's going to be a lot of data.... :banana::banana:

I bought my door weatherstripping for my 72 from Dan at American Toyota. I paid about $80 total shipped to my door. I'm glad I decided to go OEM. That seemed like a great deal too. Cheaper than CCOT and SOR.

that's the ticket - on-line, you will only find half the stuff still available from the Toyota - call CDan; for OEM parts, he's the man

just once in a while, it's to your benefit to actually TALK to someone :rolleyes:

Anyone know the difference between 63-7/72 and 7/72-74 door weatherstripping? Other than OEM 73-74 being no longer availible?

for the door weatherstripping, I used a set off a geo tracker from the junkyard. Its held in place on the tracker w plastic tabs, so it comes right off. Then I used weatherstrip adhesive to glue it to the FJ40 door. Its a thick square gasket that's hollow in the center so it fills a big void and compresses nice. It also has one right angle in it that fits the outer edge of the FJ40 door. The gasket is larger than you need, so I cut out the excess and left a seam at the bottom of the door. Works good so far. Only problem I had was in the winter I forced open a frozen door and ripped the weatherstrip off. It just needed to be glued back on.
weatherstrip.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job! It is good to have options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom