FJ40 OEM wheel powder coating RAL codes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did a few samples and found RAL 9010 to be the best match for Zippy's 16" wheels for Jessica's 40. 1013 would work but will be a tiny bit more "yellow" than the stock 40 roof. Anything whiter would look funny.
FC54E90E-1A3E-4677-BD21-2276E27F15D1.jpeg

I really like the look of those Geolander MT’s. Nice rig.

Opted for the Toyota 012 Cygnus White (for a more antique look).
Will be used on my brother's new HJ61...

So I just got a quote from a Western slope CO powdercoater...

$700 to $800 for 5 wheels. That's $140-160/wheel. After the OME lift and 5 Kenda Klevers, the wallet is burnt to a crisp. So it looks like I will be learning how to strip and paint my wheels my damn self!

I searched and found this thread: Painting OEM steel wheels - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/painting-oem-steel-wheels.511588/

Looks like the course of action is wire brush as much as possible, epoxy primer and paint. Can I hope to have a decent outcome with rattle canning? or is renting a sprayer the way to go? If so I can rent a Paint Zoom PZ3000- would this be suitable?

Any tips are appreciated.

Last edited:
Aren't new OEM steel rims ~$100 a piece? Might as well get 5 new, they come primered black then just wipe down and rattle can them. I went with Massey Ferguson gray implement paint from Tractor Supply, one coat and it's held up great over the last 7 years.

Aren't new OEM steel rims ~$100 a piece? Might as well get 5 new, they come primered black then just wipe down and rattle can them. I went with Massey Ferguson gray implement paint from Tractor Supply, one coat and it's held up great over the last 7 years.
I'm seeing $200/ea from Cool Cruisers and Cruiser Corps. Where are they $100?

Thanks- think I'll paint em myself. Anyone know where to find rattle can in the specific RAL codes? I've looked and the search brings up general gray colors like this:

You should be able to go to your local auto paint supply house and have them mix a RAL paint code and put it in a spray can for you.
In the end I think you will find durability and lasting results compared to the work involved for blasting and powder, spray cans don’t compare. But, if you have lots of time, and some sand paper and will and you are satisfied with mediocre results then a self done job should work.

You should be able to go to your local auto paint supply house and have them mix a RAL paint code and put it in a spray can for you.
In the end I think you will find durability and lasting results compared to the work involved for blasting and powder, spray cans don’t compare. But, if you have lots of time, and some sand paper and will and you are satisfied with mediocre results then a self done job should work.
It's about priorities vs. $$$. I'm putting $4K into lift and tires. Don't want to put another $600 + 4hr drive into powdercoating. And I'll go wire brush over sandpaper.

"When good enough is good enough!"

It's about priorities vs. $$$. I'm putting $4K into lift and tires. Don't want to put another $600 + 4hr drive into powdercoating. And I'll go wire brush over sandpaper.

"When good enough is good enough!"
I think the 4 hr drive would hurt my feeling too! 🤣

OK, another question. If I'm getting them custom mixed, how many cans should do it for 5 wheels?

OK, another question. If I'm getting them custom mixed, how many cans should do it for 5 wheels?
Any opinions on unmounting the old tires before paint, or painting with old ones on? If I'm gonna get this done by the parade I may have to paint with em on.

To close the loop- spent 5 hours grinding, priming and painting 5 wheels- went with a Rustoleum Gloss enamel in unspecified grey:

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 9.47.15 AM.png

Put on 3 coats each of self-etching primer and enamel, and am pleased with the results. Tire guy was impressed, so I'm calling it a win!

Typical starting point:
IMG_3217.jpg

Bare metal, primed, painted:

IMG_3219.jpg

Pre-Kenda swap:

IMG_3225.jpg

Voila:

IMG_3254.jpg

To close the loop- spent 5 hours grinding, priming and painting 5 wheels- went with a Rustoleum Gloss enamel in unspecified grey:

View attachment 3366025

Put on 3 coats each of self-etching primer and enamel, and am pleased with the results. Tire guy was impressed, so I'm calling it a win!

Typical starting point:
View attachment 3366037

Bare metal, primed, painted:

View attachment 3366039

Pre-Kenda swap:

View attachment 3366040

Voila:

View attachment 3366042
I am taking 5 out of 9 of my stock rims to powder coat today. Was quoted $125 per. I’m second guessing after looking at your results whether to do them myself and save the $625. Out of the nine total stock rims divided by two 40’s (one spare tire rim is the later white spoke) I only have one that looks horrible. I’m torn as I could put that money towards parts. Yours looks very nice!
Edit: decided to not do the powder coating After taking off the rims I discovered that money would be better spent on brakes for now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom