FJ40 OEM wheel powder coating RAL codes (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used ansi 49 gray. I can't find an associated RAL number to this color. I think it's lighter than the OEM color. It was definitely lighter than my 79 roll bar OEM gray.

View attachment 1376970

View attachment 1376971

@MOTOV8R Are the wheels you have the same as the later ones from 60 series shown, just PC'ed? I'm trying to figure out if I want to get some factory whites or go with the silver color which you can still get from Toyota.

Screenshot_20181015-165829_Samsung Internet.jpg

Anyone powder coat wheels lately? I need a spare to match my wheels not sure if I’ll be able to match. Might go factory grey/silver or possibly black.

I'm not a powder coating expert either, but my understanding is that powder coating is more durable and protects better against rust than paint, but requires media blasting off the black factory primer. I paid about $50/wheel for the blasting and coating. I wasn't aware/offered any finish choices such as gloss, satin, etc. so I'm not sure that's even possible with powder coating. RAL is just a color chart, one among many (ANSI, etc)
I made some calls around here in Spokane WA and everywhere is closer to $85-100 per wheel!

I’m going to get my ‘82 wagons blasted and powder coated. In doing research, the OEM color for the ‘82 Wagons is 033 White. I also read somewhere (can’t find the thread again) the comparable RAL is 9001.

Can someone with powder coating knowledge confirm for me the RAL for the 033? Thx!

Here’s a current pic. (Once the wheels are painted, going to swap out the PO’s 235/75/15s for a 33MT or AT - I still need to decide)

edit: realized I never posted the after pic. Here it is. Went with RAL 9010 - what I thought was as close to 033 as possible.

BF9BE91E-3FA2-477F-8C8C-3F8B97B7B61A.jpeg

25D77A85-40E3-4657-80F5-00D40FFB4A84.jpeg

Last edited:
Reviving thread on topic that’s been covered pretty well. Curious if anyone would mind posting updates here on powder coat colors for their steel wheels? Have one at the PCer to test and torn between RAL 7023, 7033, 7037, and 7043. Aside from pics here, don’t have a good reference point for OE color (PO painted current wheels Massey Ferguson gray, which shows a lot of blue IMO). Also realize the likelihood of a perfect OE match is low to nonexistent, but would prefer leaning towards slightly darker than lighter. Appreciate any additional pics and mention of RAL color of choice.
Thanks!

Update: Giving RAL 7037 a try.

Last edited:
I concur with Bloomer :
a (slightly) darker tone could be a better OEM match, so let's give RAL 7037 a try!

Last edited:
RAL 7036 compared to original paint OEM wheel on the driveway.

The loose wheel is dated Aug 1978, was purchased from a Toyota dealer for $5 (new FJ40 buyers were opting for optional bigger tires and needed wider wheels), This wheel has been stored in a cellar for years, so the paint has aged but definitely hasn't faded due to UV.

FJ40 wheel color comparison stock vs RAL 7036.jpg

@Bloomer
Compare RAL paint chips, below.

I happen to have a 'survivor' wheel I got for $5 from a local dealer back around 1980 or so. It was one of literally dozens of wheels they had as take offs from new Land Cruisers for buyers that wanted mag wheels or wagon wheels. I used it for a spare for a few months and then stored it in the basement for the past 36 years or so. In other words, the finish is almost virgin.

I've been considering powder coating for a while and @Jarhead0802 posted some RAL codes, so I decided to get on it. The local powder coater does a lot of industrial cabinets and had all kinds of RAL codes on hand. I took the following pictures today, outside in the sunlight, but unfortunately the clouds gave the light a golden hue. In any event, here are some pics of the various RAL color chips vs. my OEM wheel.

The powder coater and I both agreed that the RAL 7036 was closest to the OEM grey, particularly when viewed indoors

RAL 7016 -7025

View attachment 1379889

RAL 7030 -7035

View attachment 1379890

RAL 7036 - 7042

View attachment 1379891

Last edited:
I’m going to get my ‘82 wagons blasted and powder coated. In doing research, the OEM color for the ‘82 Wagons is 033 White. I also read somewhere (can’t find the thread again) the comparable RAL is

edit: realized I never posted the after pic. Here it is. Went with RAL 9010 - what I thought was as close to 033 as possible.

View attachment 2781380
Can anyone confirm if this RAL 9010 is close to the Cygnus White used on the late model 40’s? Thank you

About as close as you will find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom