fj40 carb cooling fan...do you run yours? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine is not like this. It's like yours, but with a different bracket. I'll go get my camera and upload the picture.

Here's the one I got at a swap meet. Maybe it's from a '76ish fj55?? SOR shows four different ones for fj40 and fj55, 1/76-8/76 and 8/76-9/77.

Here's a pic from Pirate that shows one in an FJ55. You can't see the bracket, but the horns would be in the way of the style you guys have.

attachment.php

Or maybe it bolts to the apron? Hmmm...

Edit: Ah HA! Surfpig's Pig:

attachment.php

carbFan59.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the one I got at a swap meet. Maybe it's from a '76ish fj55?? SOR shows four different ones for fj40 and fj55, 1/76-8/76 and 8/76-9/77.
]

that's aftermarket. probably because they couldn't get the original carb fan working. most have issues with the plugs, or the sensor, and i think folks just assume the fan is bad.

My 77 Cali emissions fan is just like the one above. Mounts in frount corner. I got mine working yesterday after reading this thread. Had to jumper thermistor. Runs and shuts downs as it should but now runs every time a start engine even if its just for a short time. Is new thermistor available or is there an aftermarket replacement?

Eddy...Looks like the one you have mounts to the radiator support...

that's aftermarket. probably because they couldn't get the original carb fan working. most have issues with the plugs, or the sensor, and i think folks just assume the fan is bad.

Nope. It's from an fj55. Look at the pic of SurfPig's engine bay. It mounts to the radiator support on an fj55.

The arrow is pointing at the top mounting bolt.
Fanposer1.jpg

Last edited:
Eddy...Looks like the one you have mounts to the radiator support...

Or to a custom bracket that I'm going to make so it will mount almost directly between the carb/manifolds and the hood vent. The bracket is going to mount to the two bolts where the VSV mounts to the fender.

I'm kinda thinking about adding a secondary thermostat control so it can come on while the engine is running when it gets hot under there. They're cheap ($25) and simple.

hda-3653_w.jpg

It is going to be "cool". :smokin:

Last edited:
Update

I working my way through the fan system, the white plug from the harness and the green plug on the fan are the same. Tested the Fan again direct from the battery and it works. Found the plug on the fire wall behind the air duct.
5919308948_e33aba14cf_z.jpg

Unplugged it and opened it up by prying the little metal clamps open. This is what It looks like. Plugged it back in and manually closed the little relay? And fan goes on like its supposed to. So thinking its the relay. Now I guess ill read up on reflowing the soldering to see if I can get it to work properly.

5919309186_d12849bc1e_z.jpg

The back side

Mounts to the inside fender just in front of the firewall. New to me 87 FJ60 fired up for the first time in 6 years this week and the fan came right on after shutdown. There was a little vibration in it making me suspect a wasp nest on the fan. The truck sat in a pasture for many years and I had already removed several wasp nests in the duct at the side inlet opening. I need to take the fan unit off the fender to inspect the fan.

One bolt for the fan is directly behind the hood support bracket, and I have a bad feeling about removing the hood support because of the spring loading in the arm, and possible misalignment of the hood. Ideally the fan base plate attach hole should be slotted at this location so that it could be slid out after only loosening the bolt. Anybody know a neat trick to removing the fan housing without taking off the hood support arm bracket?

Thanks-
Jeff
fan.jpg
bolt.jpg

Wrong Forum

Sorry guys. I've strayed into the wrong forum trying to track down issues with my FJ60. Please disregard.

~Jeff

When I got my 78 the fan didn't work. When I shut the engine off I could hear the gas boiling in the carb. I hooked up the fan and the hard restarts are non existant. I also made a 5/8" thick isolator block out of a very hard wood to go between the intake and the carb. This cut down on a lot of the heat transfering to the carb from the intake. With the isolater block it is only necessary to run the fan after the engine is shut down for about 15 min.

Here are a couple shots of mine mounted on an 1978 FJ40. I had vapor lock when above 80 degrees. There was a broken wire going into the sensor. I repaired and no problems since.
Carb Fan.jpg
Carb Fan 2.jpg

I don't run mine ..... don't have one.
Neither does any other middle east spec cruiser (that I've seen anyways), and they are all over here like a bad rash.
It gets pretty smok'in hot here too - 120 deg F / 49 deg C is not unusual.
Did have hot engine start issues at high temps on my '40s that were much improved with insulating the fuel line from carb to fuel pump.
cheers

velorider5 said:
Here are a couple shots of mine mounted on an 1978 FJ40. I had vapor lock when above 80 degrees. There was a broken wire going into the sensor. I repaired and no problems since.

For the 1978, anyone have a good pic of location of thermistor? I am getting carb fan (missing since restoration) and already have relay in. I have a webber conversion and de-smogged so worried it has been removed.

Will check fuse at relay before install.

This is the best photo I have. You can see that the bracket the thermistor is mounted to is bolted to the intake manifold.
Thermocouple Mount.jpg

All good info. I called SOR tech line today and learned the thermistor probably was on the air rail like one picture. I think I am missing the thermistor- taken off when de-smogged. I have one sensor that connects to the manifold that goes through the firewall that I think is just the engine temp thermistor. One picture in the thread I believe mistakes this for the carb fan thermistor rather than what i think it is - the engine temp. Thermistor.

Take a look and tell me for sure

image-2425974585.jpg
image-2425974585.jpg
image-998385993.jpg

All good info. I called SOR tech line today and learned the thermistor probably was on the air rail like one picture. I think I am missing the thermistor- taken off when de-smogged. I have one sensor that connects to the manifold that goes through the firewall that I think is just the engine temp thermistor. One picture in the thread I believe mistakes this for the carb fan thermistor rather than what i think it is - the engine temp. Thermistor.

Take a look and tell me for sure

View attachment 550148

The photo I posted is for a 78 Fed Spec FJ40 (8/78). It is bolted to the intake manifold. Do you not have the two mounting points on your intake manifold? Your first photo shows the engine temperature sender.

Your top pic shows the engine temp sender (wire running to firewall). Your second pic looks to have the mini wire harness (blue wire) to the carb cooling fan manifold temp sender electrical taped to a pice of tubing. The manifold temp sender ("thermistor' as people are calling it) on a '78 model is located on a small metal bracket bolted to the driver's side of the intake manifold below and slightly aft of the carb with two bolts. Not as reliable when running headers. Without the big heat sink of a cast exhaust manifold the sender often doesn't get hot enough to function. Don't know if they're still available. Specter lists part 182-85B at $167.51. Ouch!

Thanks. That confirms it. Big help. Ouch is right. Will check one more time but looks like I have to get a new one if I want the cooler. Big help guys. Great thread.

I've done some thinking on this. I started looking for timed relays, that would function like the stock computer/relay.

Here are some links: The first looks very promising as does the second one. I'm not a good enough electrical designer to tell which one would work from the third link, but there are many possibilites.

http://www.inpowerdirect.com/docs/PDS-60D.pdf
TDRSRXP-12V | Time Delay Relays
Search results for "time delay relay" - Allied Electronics

An adjustable thermostat can be obtained for electric cooling fans easily. For a blower, for those of us that never had one stock, or can't find one, I wondered if a Bilge blower would work. They are weatherproof, cheap and would move enough air I bet, something like this:

Bilge Blowers - Wholesale Marine

Just some thoughts, I'd like the timed relay, then I would know the fan could not possibly run all night if the thermostat screwed up or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom