Downey headers/ stock intake? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rex in bama

SILVER Star
Threads
Anybody running this combo? I currently have an offy intake, Holley carb, Downey (I think) header combo on and 82 fj40 a runs great but would like to take it back closer to stock. I have all of the parts except for a stock manifold to go back, but the headers look to be in great shape to would be tempted to keep em in place (along with the likely performance gain they give). Anybody running these headers with everything else stock?

IMG_4474.jpeg

I didn't think that combo worked?
Was a grinder involved?
A grinder is always involved when fitting headers. Not a lot in this case though.
I thought the reason that combo wouldn't work was the oil filter and it's lines...

I didn't think that combo worked?
Was a grinder involved?
I have done this several times, the early intake uses the smaller diameter studs. its an easy deal to open the areas for the larger studs....

A grinder is always involved when fitting headers. Not a lot in this case though.
I thought the reason that combo wouldn't work was the oil filter and it's lines...
I thought the fat runners on the intake didn't clear no2 and 5 header tubes.

I’m certainly not sure about every header out there, here’s the last one I did, one week ago, There’s one of these intakes on my FJ45 with the 2 piece dual outlet header I think MAF sold

IMG_3154.jpeg

Those duel headers ha! I had a set of those I bought before the Downey headers those where much thinner and really hard to get anyone to machine flat....what a PIA to get them installed right! 🤬😡

Still have those in a box in the back shead actually. I replaced those with the Downey one piece header so much easier to install and keep sealed. 👍 When I swapped it onto the 2F just a little file work on the stud holes got it done. No grinding required.

Correct. @Vintij74 can tell you firsthand what he had to do to make THAT PARTICULAR INTAKE work. How much shaving of the intake, and how much dimpling of the header.

www.marksoffroad.net

Correct. @Vintij74 can tell you firsthand what he had to do to make THAT PARTICULAR INTAKE work. How much shaving of the intake, and how much dimpling of the header.

www.marksoffroad.net

No dimpling or filing here,
I just went and slid a piece of cardboard between the tubes mentioned,
no issues

I’m not sure what one piece header I have on my 77 (yeah it’s been that long ago). No issues with the install from a fitment standpoint. I did measure manifold depths at each shared bolt/ stud location and shaved half of a heavy flat machine washer to match the measured delta. Numbered and painted the opposing side of the washer so I could see the proper orientation of the cut. I did this to ensure torque was applied equally to each ear of the manifold and header. OEM gasket, dry and torqued per spec. It’s been flawless for a hell of a long time.

A bit of dimpling on the front tube runner, but then eventually the header cracked two times at the collector tube. I eventually found that supporting the bottom of the header near the frame eliminated swinging. I eventually went to @Mudrak where he re-welded the exhaust manifold and made it work. Use a Thick Felpto gasket and no more than 15-20ft lbs torque. No mo' exhaust leaks
The End 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom