Stock Air Intake Snorkel and Pipe for 1977 FJ40 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
See photo below - mine is missing - anyone know if these are still sold new for a 1977, or alternatively are there any other fabricated setup possibilities that don't look too "ghetto" ? :) I have a feeling I am dealing with "unobtanium" here ?
FJ40 Under Hood.jpg

See photo below - mine is missing - anyone know if these are still sold new for a 1977, or alternatively are there any other fabricated setup possibilities that don't look too "ghetto" ? :) I have a feeling I am dealing with "unobtanium" here ?
I’ve got a ‘77 as well. It came with a Holley and I went to a Weber before finally going Aisin. I picked up an air cleaner some 10 years ago off MUD, had it powder coated and then started looking for the hose and intake. That’s when I discovered I was missing something. Mine appears to be exactly like yours, here is a pic I cropped that shows it’s not cut but in fact appears to have been made that way. I’ve yet to find the missing piece and have been running it for years.

IMG_1849.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

I’ve got a ‘77 as well. It came with a Holley and I went to a Weber before finally going Aisin. I picked up an air cleaner some 10 years ago off MUD, had it powder coated and then started looking for the hose and intake. That’s when I discovered I was missing something. Mine appears to be exactly like yours, here is a pic I cropped that shows it’s not cut but in fact appears to have been made that way. I’ve yet to find the missing piece and have been running it for years.

View attachment 3575510

View attachment 3575511
Yes indeed - looks identical!

I've scoured Partsouq looking at pages of air cleaner parts for 2F's and never found that air cleaner. I now casually watch the Classifieds hoping to find a pre '79 air cleaner in decent shape as I have the hose and intake parts sitting in box somewhere. Like II said earlier, I've been driving it like this for 10 years and its been fine.

Will say it looks like you have a great find, good luck with that 40! Looks all original from the few shots I've seen.

Your air cleaner has been chopped down. Easiest fix is get an entire air cleaner section that has the round outlet and HAI outlet (which bolts onto the welded nuts you see from the bottom).

Then you can get the air horn that mounts to body and accordion boot to connect the two. Quality photo courtesy @GA Architect

1709759242395.png

My air filter housing was chopped as well when I first bought my cruiser. I was able to source another at a 4x4 swap meet for $15 then added one of City Racers hoses and a custom intake horn. Still searching for an OEM intake horn but as Rex stated, people think they are made of gold and priced accordingly. 😮

I've scoured Partsouq looking at pages of air cleaner parts for 2F's and never found that air cleaner. I now casually watch the Classifieds hoping to find a pre '79 air cleaner in decent shape as I have the hose and intake parts sitting in box somewhere. Like II said earlier, I've been driving it like this for 10 years and its been fine.

Will say it looks like you have a great find, good luck with that 40! Looks all original from the few shots I've seen.
TY! Looking forward to getting it to FL and digging in. It is fairly original, except for a couple of kitchen chairs bolted to the floor in the back (I guess they liked to carry additional people on their off road adventures)! Naturally those will be the first to go....it's been a few years since I first saw this FJ in person, but if I recall correctly, the jump seats are still present as well. One other annoying thing that is missing is the white trim panel that goes on the front bib between the headlights. I assume those are now "unobtanium" as well...................? I was told that this was a common desert mod to increase airflow through the radiator......:confused:. In the family there are some photos of this FJ taken a long time ago and it was missing even then - oh well.

Your air cleaner has been chopped down. Easiest fix is get an entire air cleaner section that has the round outlet and HAI outlet (which bolts onto the welded nuts you see from the bottom).

Then you can get the air horn that mounts to body and accordion boot to connect the two. Quality photo courtesy @GA Architect

View attachment 3575564
It doesn't look "chopped" - if you look closely at the photos of both my air cleaner as well as the other 77 owner that posted above, (@77mustard40 ), it appears that a hard section was unbolted at the stub and removed, along with the tubing and the snorkel. There are 2 captive nuts on the remaining stub at the air cleaner.

Understand your viewpoint, but the upper portion is stamped steel and spot welded, the bolted on portion is on the bottom only and removable. The person removed the bolt-on lower section then cut down the upper stamped section even with the factory opening on the bottom, which is why you no longer have the ability to mount the factory boot to air horn.

The red circle is stamped steel and spot welded to housing. See circled in red. This section is all stamped and forms to the 2.5" outlet to the boot.

1709771809560.png

Another angle to show the stamped section, it is NOT removable without a cut-off wheel, plasma, whatever you choose.

1709771867507.png

The underside, which is what the screws are for, support the hot air intake assembly, which is removable. See photo.

1709771991866.png

The hot air intake (HAI) is what is removable on the bottom, which is why you see two welded nuts. So to restate, the PO cut it down to match the removed HAI portion, leaving you without anything to connect the air horn/hose to.

Just get a good replacement lower with outlet and move on.

Is this some sort of "performance" mod that was done back in the day?
I have had 5 different FJ40's over the past 20 years and 3 of them had the air horn cut off just like that.
Kinda like 2 of them had the Rochester Carb and header set up sold back in the day.
They both had the air cleaner chop.

I have had 5 different FJ40's over the past 20 years and 3 of them had the air horn cut off just like that.
Kinda like 2 of them had the Rochester Carb and header set up sold back in the day.
Another "desert mod" .......:)

Understand your viewpoint, but the upper portion is stamped steel and spot welded, the bolted on portion is on the bottom only and removable. The person removed the bolt-on lower section then cut down the upper stamped section even with the factory opening on the bottom, which is why you no longer have the ability to mount the factory boot to air horn.

The red circle is stamped steel and spot welded to housing. See circled in red. This section is all stamped and forms to the 2.5" outlet to the boot.

View attachment 3575744

Another angle to show the stamped section, it is NOT removable without a cut-off wheel, plasma, whatever you choose.

View attachment 3575746

The underside, which is what the screws are for, support the hot air intake assembly, which is removable. See photo.

View attachment 3575747

The hot air intake (HAI) is what is removable on the bottom, which is why you see two welded nuts. So to restate, the PO cut it down to match the removed HAI portion, leaving you without anything to connect the air horn/hose to.

Just get a good replacement lower with outlet and move on.
Fantastic info and explanation - many thanks for the really great photos too - not having ever seen a stock 77 air intake before, now I know what to actually look for (I would assume finding one is another matter entirely :) )! Also, does this mean that I have an Aisin carb (assuming still stock carb), or were there other factory carbs offered ?

Fantastic info and explanation - many thanks for the really great photos too - not having ever seen a stock 77 air intake before, now I know what to actually look for (I would assume finding one is another matter entirely :) )! Also, does this mean that I have an Aisin carb (assuming still stock carb), or were there other factory carbs offered ?
That carb is original along with all the original smog BS, don’t toss that if you are going to desmog as the CA folks will want it.

That carb is original along with all the original smog BS, don’t toss that if you are going to desmog as the CA folks will want it.
So I have read (and seen on various YouTube videos), but many thanks for the hint! I will probably want to de-smog as there are no regulations in Florida. But I plan on saving all the original equipment for sure. Question (if you know) - back in those days, did all 1977 FJ40s have the same smog equipment for all states or did CA vehicles have even more stuff fitted ?

I’m no expert but CA vehicles may have had more

This is a total guess, but I would not be surprised if MAF didn't include chopping instructions with their "Power Pack" kit they sold back in the day. The Rochester carb, AC Delco Dissy, header, and electric fuel pump. We can curse MAF for all the Rochesters and AC Delco dissys still found on these trucks. Unfortunately my FJ55 came with that kit, and not only has a chopped air cleaner snout. The PO also drilled 2" holes around the entire sides of the air cleaner giving it a "swiss cheese" kind of look. I suppose they thought all those extra holes would improve air flow or something.

This is a total guess, but I would not be surprised if MAF didn't include chopping instructions with their "Power Pack" kit they sold back in the day. The Rochester carb, AC Delco Dissy, header, and electric fuel pump. We can curse MAF for all the Rochesters and AC Delco dissys still found on these trucks. Unfortunately my FJ55 came with that kit, and not only has a chopped air cleaner snout. The PO also drilled 2" holes around the entire sides of the air cleaner giving it a "swiss cheese" kind of look. I suppose they thought all those extra holes would improve air flow or something.
I should have paid more attention when I bought my air cleaner, I simply want to run it to the front of the engine compartment for cooler intake temps.

Not to highjack but here was the Swiss cheese on mine when purchased in 86.

PC290066.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom