Downey FJ40 Skid Plate Install (with challenges) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LucyProject

FJ Adventures
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I just wrapped up installing a skid plate I bought from ToJo Products 3 years ago. I believe I found it on iH8Mud, and I believe it's a "Downey" skid plate (Time + Age = poor memory). Anyways, I filmed the experience, and posted it to YouTube. Check it out and let me know your thoughts. Also, if these skid plates are still available somewhere, let me know in a reply, and I'll put the link in the video description.

My thoughts:
Quality: Its definitely beefy. I have no doubts the full weight of my FJ40 + associated impact forces could be supported by this thing.
Figment: It lined up with the frame great but didn't fit with the exhaust or line up with the transfer case. I blame this on my SBC engine swap. I think ultimately my transfer case rests offset from the OEM location, and obviously the exhaust is different. So, I had to trim it a bit.
Recommendation: Yes. This thing is great. the way I have it installed only subtracts about 1/2" of clearance, so it doesn't hurt much, but the benefits on the trail are substantial.

IMG_9049.jpg

Jim has s few posts for his skid plates on Mud. This is a recently active one if you want to link it.

Jim has s few posts for his skid plates on Mud. This is a recently active one if you want to link it.

Awesome - thanks! I saw this thread, but I wasn't sure it was the best way to link it or not. I'll do it anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom