Double swap! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I checked piston height. 80.3mm for all.
Machine shop quoted me ~200 usd to do it, so I just might to be honest.

Took some measurements, talked to a liner manufacturer. They say that the 5L liners are, in fact, too large for the 2L series blocks. This would imply that the 5L engines are longer than the 2L and 3Ls then. However the 3L and 5L share the same crankshaft, so I'm confused.
With my calipers, it seems that there is about 14mm between each cylinder, at the thinnest point, counting the liners. This means that there is about 10mm of block material between the cylinders.

Running 3L liners and pistons would reduce block thickness to 6mm.

Running 5L liners and pistons would reduce block thickness between cylinders to only ~2.5mm.

However, I believe I should be able to run 3L liners and pistons. If I opt for the 1mm oversize stuff, I could still get displacement up to 2.7L.

We'll see!

Last edited:
Try Mustang connection in British Columbia. I picked one up from him less than a year ago. They had a few manual 2l-te surfs at the time. The price and shipping was reasonable.
Hi Folks, Im looking for a 2LTE to R150F bell housing as well. I have an automatic LN130 and an extra USDM R150F. Seems I need a bell housing, clutch pedal assembly, flywheel and some other odds and ends. just bought a 2LTE MT ECU. thanks in advance.

IMG_7521.jpeg

Ask in classifieds.

Never reached a conclusion about my liner/piston idea, but I'll be back to rebuilding this 2LT-E this weekend, and tearing my two trucks down soon too.

Working some more on getting rebuild parts together, my CT-20 turbo shaft has too much play. Rather than rebuild it, I was thinking why not go for something more modern?

The CT-16v is the turbo on the new 2GD-FTV 2.4 common rail diesels. I wonder if a stand alone system would be easy to make for them (electronic waste gate, and vanes too? I'm not really familiar with newer turbos).

Also looking at some custom modifications to the combustion system. I've estimated the thermal efficiency of this engine at about 30%, but that's a far cry from the 44% thermal efficiency of the 2GD-FTV.

Some possible modifications could look like redone valve timing (for earlier intake valve closing), one piece, insulated swirl Chambers (mounted either in the head or on the side of the block), lower compression (somewhere between 15.5:1 - 18:1), custom piston top combustion shape (like Regueiro's Chrysler prototype, or the Kubota 'wedge' shape, incorporating better valve reliefs), modified throat size, shape, and entry angle, and injector spray angle, and direction.
I think that should cover all the bases. It would be nothing short of small miracle if I could get this old EFI IDI to match the efficiency of a cutting edge (or darn close to it) Common Rail DI engine, but it'll be fun to try.

Last edited:
At 190 g/Ps/Hr, the 2LTE and 2LTHE should indeed be running at a max of about 31% thermal efficiency.

The Lister engines, which use, what seems to be, a modified Ricardo Comet I combustion system, run only a 17.5:1 compression ratio. Apparently they cold start just fine, and without and glowplugs too.

I think this lies in the Comet I system, in which ~70% of air is forced into the swirl chamber, and with the cam timing, which is radically different from modern IDI's.

EngineValveTimingDiagramlister.jpg

5LE_Power.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom