Double swap! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2LT-E that I'm going to swap into my VZN-110 with a 3VZ-E. I've got the engine in the back of my other truck, an ECM and wiring harness on its way from N.Z., and I'm still looking for a Bell housing for my R150f transmission, and a relay setup.

What other stuff should I be getting together before I start this?

After this swap, I'll be taking my old 3VZ-E, rebuilding it, and throwing it in my other, other truck with a rod knock.

Was it you I saw on the Australian LN106 forum today looking for a bellhousing ?
I paid $200 for mine now (Probably USD$140) on front of an R151F. I also went the 0.70 5th for better hwy cruising.
They do crop up I'll keep an eye out.
IMG_3507.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: SMG
That wasn't me on the forum, but thanks. The guy I bought my ecm and loom from has bell housings pop up too, hopefully he finds one soon (someone at my work was exposed to the virus, so I might have a nice 2 week vacation ahead to get this done).

So far I'm ~$1,500 into the swap. I'm hoping that after a timing belt kit, fluids, bell housing, and odds and ends I don't go too far past 2k.

I'm also going to do some restorative work to my truck: rust removal, repainting it with monstaliner, a new plate bumper, etc.

I've got pics of both here:

Alright, I've got a bell housing coming now from N.Z. too, should be here by the end of the month, and a propane setup for the 3VZ-E for my 2wd.

I roached a couple synchros in my R150f, so replacing them with the kit from Cobra Transmission. Wondering if the first gear from the R151f would fit in my R150f, so I could have a granny gear...

Did you get the bellhousing from a supplier in NZ or just a private sale? Been casually looking for one to someday do that upgrade.

Do you have your radiator inlet/outlet sorted? The LN trucks have a funky arrangement. I would suggest planning on some upgrades just to get the 2lte somewhat reliable. Lots of info in the diesel and 70 sections from guys who have tried to keep them alive. Do you now the history on it, like if it’s had the head replaced?

Private sale, Facebook marketplace is a wonderful thing.
Engine was supposedly rebuilt 60,xxx km ago, but I was planning on doing a biopsy and checking everything out before I installed it.
I think I'll use my 3.0 rad with some wrap-around tubing, we'll see.
I've been reading up on the 2L's for a couple years now. I plan to run just Toyota red coolant with some water wetter, and to install a good coolant temp gauge and pyrometer.
I'm also going to intercool it, and install one of GTS Sport Coupes ecm-fooling boost thingies.
I'd like to run about 16 psi, that way HP will hopefully be about equivalent with the 3VZ-E, and Torque will surpass it.

Private sale, Facebook marketplace is a wonderful thing.
Engine was supposedly rebuilt 60,xxx km ago, but I was planning on doing a biopsy and checking everything out before I installed it.
I think I'll use my 3.0 rad with some wrap-around tubing, we'll see.
I've been reading up on the 2L's for a couple years now. I plan to run just Toyota red coolant with some water wetter, and to install a good coolant temp gauge and pyrometer.
I'm also going to intercool it, and install one of GTS Sport Coupes ecm-fooling boost thingies.
I'd like to run about 16 psi, that way HP will hopefully be about equivalent with the 3VZ-E, and Torque will surpass it.

nice, I do all that ‘cept the intercooler and have had no issues with my 400km 3L.

looking forward to seeing the swap happen

Was it you I saw on the Australian LN106 forum today looking for a bellhousing ?
I paid $200 for mine now (Probably USD$140) on front of an R151F. I also went the 0.70 5th for better hwy cruising.
They do crop up I'll keep an eye out.
View attachment 2320127
Hey i saw your post here and I'm really curious how that .70 5th is working out? I'm currently in the process of building 2x R151F transmissions for my 22r pickups, but I have the older style R151F out of the 86 & 87 turbo pickups. Did you do this 5th gear swap on the older or newer R151F? And if it's the older style im super curious to the part numbers for what you had to change out, I will bow to you if this is possible on the older style! Lol. Thanks for any info and that setup is so perfect looking! Did you use all marlin parts for your transmission and dual cases?

My wiring harness and ecm came, but I'm still looking for a Bell housing.
I also need a clutch kit and flywheel. A lot of the Aussie kits have heavy duty clutch kits for sale, are they necessary if I'm going to run more boost than stock?

My wiring harness and ecm came, but I'm still looking for a Bell housing.
I also need a clutch kit and flywheel. A lot of the Aussie kits have heavy duty clutch kits for sale, are they necessary if I'm going to run more boost than stock?

I doubt it, unless you’re turning up the fuel a bunch it’s still not going to be putting out much power/torque. But if it costs an arm and leg to ship it from Aus it might be prudent to get the highest quality you can. Do you already have a solid flywheel too?

I doubt it, unless you’re turning up the fuel a bunch it’s still not going to be putting out much power/torque. But if it costs an arm and leg to ship it from Aus it might be prudent to get the highest quality you can. Do you already have a solid flywheel too?
No, I need a flywheel as well.

Maybe someone can give me some insight. Should I get a fuse/relay box from a 2LT-E truck, or will my 3VZ-E one work with little modification?

Advice needed again. My 2LT-E came out of an auto. Will a 22r series flywheel and clutch kit work with the 2LT-E and R150f?

The 22re clutch kit might work, but I’m not positive. @cruiseroutfit sells LJ clutch kits for a good price, which should work since the prados also used the r150f.

I haven’t read anything about gasser flywheels fitting the L series. Manual trans 2lte motors had a dual mass flywheel. Does your pressure plate have 6 or 8 bolts?

I never saw the notification that you replied back to me, thanks for your input. My engine has 8 bolt holes. I'm wondering now if my 3vze flywheel might work, with either a 3vz or L series spec clutch kit. A new flywheel is going to run me at least 500 usd plus shipping, so if I can figure out an alternative I will be happy!

OK 8 bolts is good. You can use a solid 3L flywheel too but that will be just as expensive. Might be able to find a 22R flywheel in a junkyard if the 3.0 guy doesn’t work.

let us know the results, I’ve heard the starters between L and R engines can swap so the ring gear should match up. Always good to get some definitive info on domestic part compatibility

I've got the ring gear for the 2lte, and I have a spare 3vze flywheel. I'll give it a shot once I get my 3vze pulled.

Hey i saw your post here and I'm really curious how that .70 5th is working out? I'm currently in the process of building 2x R151F transmissions for my 22r pickups, but I have the older style R151F out of the 86 & 87 turbo pickups. Did you do this 5th gear swap on the older or newer R151F? And if it's the older style im super curious to the part numbers for what you had to change out, I will bow to you if this is possible on the older style! Lol. Thanks for any info and that setup is so perfect looking! Did you use all marlin parts for your transmission and dual cases?

Have a look here, link below to Pirate, everything you need to know :).
I've been mucking around with my crossmember for the last few weeks rebending it to move the gearbox centreline over by 15mm to actually get the transmission in the middle of the tunnel....
Aftermarket isnt all its cracked up to be. And 10mm plate takes a lot of bending to move just the centrline and keep everything else in the same plane....
Plus I had a machine shop add an access slot for the front driveshaft bolts so I can get to them underneath AND move the drain hole for the crawl box as they got that wrong too despite my mm perfect dimensions as to where to put it sigh.

Yes, all Marlin except the R151 to gear drive, thats Trail gear.

Getting there !

installed.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get the bellhousing from a supplier in NZ or just a private sale? Been casually looking for one to someday do that upgrade.

Try Mustang connection in British Columbia. I picked one up from him less than a year ago. They had a few manual 2l-te surfs at the time. The price and shipping was reasonable.

Try Mustang connection in British Columbia. I picked one up from him less than a year ago. They had a few manual 2l-te surfs at the time. The price and shipping was reasonable.
Too late for that now, last batch of parts is heading this way from New Zealand.
Except I still need a dump pipe...I've given up on my budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom