Do I need an alignment post lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Embarrassed to ask but just installed a 2.5” list and larger 33” tires on my 1970 FJ40. Other than slight cruiser lean it turned out great. Was planning on getting an alignment based on some recommendations but when I drive the truck it tracks perfectly straight and doesn’t seem to be out of alignment. It is kind of an ordeal to have it done due to my work schedule. Wanted to ping the forum here to see if there is any input that could be shared on whether I should have it done or not since it is driving so well. Thanks!

What Pees said.
My front alignment kit...

20220203_134117.jpg

I would get it on an alignment rack….sooner better than later. Not so much for toe. You’ll see that as tire wear before to long. However, your caster will change and the stock spec is 1 degree positive caster.

A 2” lift with stock length shackles will give you about a 1 degree negative caster…..generally with a 2” lift, 2 degree shims will be required to restore the positive caster…..the 1 degree negative won’t give you a ‘death wobble’ but it sure makes keeping the rig straight on uneven pavement more teadious.

And in the back, you’ll want to check your pinion angle. Make sure that within a degree of the transfer case out….if not corrected, you might see that as the drive shaft to park brake nuts come loose. Ask me how I know (lol).

Caster will also likely change a bit as the springs settle.

Set the toe with a tape measure and enjoy your new lift.

Toe should not change at all by adding lift springs. Your steering wheel may go a bit off center, but you can correct that with the relay rod without disturbing the toe settings. As was mentioned, caster will go a couple of degrees negative with lift springs but the only way to correct that is with caster shims (wedges) and the local alignment shop won't have those. If it steers okay like it is, leave it alone and enjoy the truck. It'll be fine.

If you find it's too darty on the road and the steering wheel won't come back to center after a turn, get yourself some steel caster wedges. @orangefj45 sells good ones in varying degrees. I'd wager that if you put 4* shims under yours, you'll probably be at 2* positive afterward and your truck will drive better than new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom