34" Tires on a Spring Lift FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to fit 34" tires on a FJ40 with just OME Spring lift and cut away rear fenders openings? I used to run 33's on 15" rims without much difficulty, other than the fact that the stock 2F had a hard time pushing the vehicle uphill on the roadway. I'm wondering, strictly for a trail ri and for clearance, could you get away with 34's, especially if you kept them narrow? Would you need longer mate with longer shocks to enable maximum articulation?

My first thought, is where are you finding 34" tires...haha
I don't think you'll have too much issue, rubbing in the front of the back wheel well is the first place you'll have issues...

Is it possible to fit 34" tires on a FJ40 with just OME Spring lift and cut away rear fenders openings? I used to run 33's on 15" rims without much difficulty, other than the fact that the stock 2F had a hard time pushing the vehicle uphill on the roadway. I'm wondering, strictly for a trail ri and for clearance, could you get away with 34's, especially if you kept them narrow? Would you need longer mate with longer shocks to enable maximum articulation?
If you stay with the factory wheel width and offset and also skinny tires (35x10.5), I believe you can get away without cutting the rear wheel opening as the tire should tuck up inside the lip. If rubbing the inner wheel well bothers you, bumpstops will be needed. In the front, you will likely run into tire/leaf spring interference without wheel spacers or the mini-truck hub swap. I think it's a fine line up front trying to stay low with bigger tires between fender clearance and leaf spring clearance.

2" lift on 35's tall skinny's, and I've done some playing around behind the house in the hills but not really done any hardcore wheeling with it. I have tire to leaf spring & tire to steering pivot arm clearance issues at full turn and articulation, and the tires rub the inner wheel well in the rear. I haven't played with spacers up front, this truck isn't intended to wheel.

IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG

My first thought, is where are you finding 34" tires...haha
I don't think you'll have too much issue, rubbing in the front of the back wheel well is the first place you'll have issues...

I saw that interco had a 34x9.5R15 IROK. Looked interesting,,, nearly $500 though.

You will rub on your drag link and pitman arm at full lock. Likely rub the inner rear wheel wells when flexing. I have a 2.5” OME and true 33” tires and that’s where mine rub.

Last edited:
What mods did you have to make to the steering linkage and pitman arm? Did you put in spacers?
If it is TRULY a trail rig, I'd ditch the factory steering in favor of one of the better power steering options; front mounted saginaw box or rear mounted fj60/fj80/scout box. About the only way I wouldn't do power steering is if it was just a pavement princess, but if that was the case, we wouldn't be in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom