This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

amdataol

SILVER Star
Threads
I looked through the threads on this site and was surprised that I couldn't find anything that related to distributors and coils. Therefore I have started one. Here's my dilemma. In troubleshooting idling, performance and running issues with my 1978 FJ40, in addition to the carb issue (addressed in a previous thread), I found the distributor was not locked and could be moved by hand. I found the locking bracket was broken (which I can buy new on-line) and there was a trace of oil in the bowl (damaged oil seals?). Below are the pictures of the distributor, obviously an electronic ignition system, but I don't see anything like this in my Haynes manual. To be honest I was expecting a system that had points and a coil not this. Any ideas as to what I have here? Should I fix this (rebuild kit?), buy a new replacement or if I wanted to return it to stock would it be coil and points?

IMG_7134.JPG
IMG_7135.JPG
IMG_7136.JPG
IMG_7137.JPG
IMG_7178.JPG
IMG_7179.JPG
IMG_7281.JPG
IMG_7282.JPG
IMG_7286.JPG

Lots of people run HEI distributors (search DUI) for the simplicity and parts availability. There would be a pretty obvious sticker, but it may have been removed. That said, there are also Chinese knockoffs which can be problematic. I cant tell what you have, but my DUI was blue under the cap and the shafting looked like it had more machined surfaces.
I have a Toyota dizzy off a donor motor that I believe is a 78, PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Lots of people run HEI distributors (search DUI) for the simplicity and parts availability. There would be a pretty obvious sticker, but it may have been removed. That said, there are also Chinese knockoffs which can be problematic. I cant tell what you have, but my DUI was blue under the cap and the shafting looked like it had more machined surfaces.
I have a Toyota dizzy off a donor motor that I believe is a 78, PM me if you are interested.
Thanks Ryan. After searching DUI as you instructed, it looks like I have some version of an HEI distributor. It looks pretty old and worn and I cannot find any markings except the ones I posted in the pictures. A manufacturers name would have been very helpful but alas.!! Therefore it looks like I have a choice, get a new HEI or go back to the OEM setup. Mark at 'Marks off road' is currently evaluating my Aisan carb for a possible rebuild so I think I will give him a call tomorrow and get his thoughts. Thanks for the offer of your '78. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Ryan. After searching DUI as you instructed, it looks like I have some version of an HEI distributor. It looks pretty old and worn and I cannot find any markings except the ones I posted in the pictures. A manufacturers name would have been very helpful but alas.!! Therefore it looks like I have a choice, get a new HEI or go back to the OEM setup. Mark at 'Marks off road' is currently evaluating my Aisan carb for a possible rebuild so I think I will give him a call tomorrow and get his thoughts. Thanks for the offer of your '78. I'll keep you posted.
Mark can also offer you an appropriate distributor for the carb you choose. He will not steer you wrong. Since you already have begun a relationship with Mr. A, you can now exploit his vast knowledge!

White wire going to pickup is barely seated.
Yes, there are many issues with this distributor, that being one of them. After considering the input I have received, I believe the best option is not a rebuild but a replacement (HEI or OEM) with this one heading for 'retirement'..!!

If Mark has your carb just have pay him a few extra bucks to send a distributor back with it. :)

An issue you may have with that HEI clone distributor is where are you powering it from? If you are using the Black/Yellow wire that originally went to the OEM ignitor that may be the whole problem. Your 1978 FJ40 has a ballast resistor that is built into that Black/Yellow wire. If you search for Yakaki Pink resistor wire you will find a thread where I describe this in detail. Short story: If you are using that Black/Yellow wire you are only getting about 9 volts going to the HEI. The HEI requires the full +12 Volts to get the best performance.

If you decide to ditch the HEI clone and go with something Toyota, make sure that Mark sends you a dizzy/coil/ignitor that will work with your 1978 with the resistor wire.

An issue you may have with that HEI clone distributor is where are you powering it from? If you are using the Black/Yellow wire that originally went to the OEM ignitor that may be the whole problem. Your 1978 FJ40 has a ballast resistor that is built into that Black/Yellow wire. If you search for Yakaki Pink resistor wire you will find a thread where I describe this in detail. Short story: If you are using that Black/Yellow wire you are only getting about 9 volts going to the HEI. The HEI requires the full +12 Volts to get the best performance.

If you decide to ditch the HEI clone and go with something Toyota, make sure that Mark sends you a dizzy/coil/ignitor that will work with your 1978 with the resistor wire.
The devil is in the details isn't it.!! Thanks for your input @Coolerman. Mark is sending me the full OEM 'stuff' to replace the clone HEI that I currently have. I'll look up your thread that deals with the resistor wire. Many thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom