Distributor cap rubber cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some information about the distributor cap rubber cover. Just wondering if it’s original or not and if they are still made? Has numbers 1-6 on the cover to show where each spark plug wire would go. The second picture is a cutout for the wiring/green connector shown in the first picture that does to the distributor. I’ve not seen any other cruisers with one just trying to figure out more about my rig.
3/1977 FJ40
IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3784.jpeg

IMG_3781.jpeg

That looks aftermarket to me, but one of the parts experts may know for sure.

Toyoyta did put a foam rubber cover on the 3FE distributor (for the U.S. market at least), but it looks nothing like that.

I have one of the 3fe rubber ones on my work bench at home right now. I can send a picture when I get off work. I have no idea if it fits that dizzy though. I was planning on using it on mine once I get my engine dialed in if it fits.

My 72 40 had a cover that snapped around the dist, but I don't think it looked like that. As I recall you didn't have to remove the spark plug wires to remove it. Maybe later models changed.

Interesting boot! Never seen one like it. I would guess aftermarket too. Looks like some kind of S&M boot for your Dizzy.

OEM, I've had them on a few different series rigs.
just need to be careful with the snaps, as they can pull thru the rubber and not release
I've got a few good ones on the shelf, mostly from big cap distributors and maybe 1 good small one

What are those boots for?

What are those boots for?

somewhat keeps water off the distributor cap
the base goes around the body and wires comeout going forward or rearward
they will tear with age and get tossed
also a bit troublesome to install

Seems like a great way to trap moisture 🤷‍♂️

somewhat keeps water off the distributor cap
the base goes around the body and wires comeout going forward or rearward
they will tear with age and get tossed
also a bit troublesome to install
That’s what I figured keep the distributor cap clean from debris/water. Unfortunately due to age it’s started to dry rot and crack so I’ve taken it off. Thanks for the info. 👍

neat little oem items. i have seen them on multiple other toyota platforms including mini trucks and runners (22re) and even some celica and tercels. the boots for the 22re platforms are all NLA, not sure on the cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom