78 2f distributor disassembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

For reasons I will not disclose, I’d like to replace the bottom distributor housing. Hah! Has anyone taken a dizzy apart—I haven’t looked at doing it yet but anyone who has done it—any tips? Thanks!

Kris

Update—I’ve torn most of it down. To remove the shaft, it looks like the pin holding the dizzy gear in place needs to be tapped out? I’d have to figure out how to heat then hold it so I can tap out.

Of course, everything was corroded. The advance was a PITA to remove. I don’t even know if I can purchase a new advance? Maybe I should just get a new distributor. :(

Update—I’ve torn most of it down. To remove the shaft, it looks like the pin holding the dizzy gear in place needs to be tapped out? I’d have to figure out how to heat then hold it so I can tap out.

Of course, everything was corroded. The advance was a PITA to remove. I don’t even know if I can purchase a new advance? Maybe I should just get a new distributor. :(
The '78 through '80 distributor housings have a 17mm diameter bore for the advancer. All other 2F distributors have a 15mm bore. Advancer bodies for F engine (and the non-US 19100-61080) distributors are 17mm. I have a couple of new aftermarket F engine advancers that would fit your distributor - all it takes is a mounting bracket similar to the one on your stock advancer.

I usually have to partially drill out the distributor gear pin before I can drive it out the rest of the way. I bought a 3-foot length of 0.204 inch diameter drill rod that I cut new pins out of - works really well.

Thanks to @4Cruisers for the info. I’ll be getting a new advancer from him to get this motor going!

I had to carefully rig up a platform on my drill press vise to hold the distributor and went ahead and drilled out the pin holding the gear in place. A gentle tap with a brass drift and the gear slid out. I was the able to pull the shaft out of the housing.

If you try this, make note of the spacers in both at the top of the gear and inside the housing on the shaft.

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom