Vacuum Advance Distributor....worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My bone stock 73 FJ40 runs/drives great. It has a Fairey OD that was installed at the dealership when purchased and it makes highway speed very comfortable. The original F155 has great compression on all cylinders, excellent oil pressure and runs smooth. I had Mark rebuild the factory 1973 Aisin carb and it is super nice. The only thing I'm thinking about doing to her at this point is upgrading the factory vacuum RETARD distributor for a factory vacuum ADVANCE unit. My question is.....is it worth changing if my engine is running well now? I mean, is there enough noticeable improvement with the vacuum advance to justify the $400?

If I do the upgrade I'll likely also install a Pertronix point eliminator because I have them on a few of my other old vehicles and really like how they work. Would I be better off to save the $400 on the vacuum advance distributor and just install the Pertronix in my stock vacuum retard distributor? Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can give.

Short answer YES it's worth it. When Mark did the carb he probably installed the ported vacuum port you will need for a vacuum advance dizzy.
I would check you current dizzy to see how much play you have in the shaft. If it's a lot then go with a new dizzy and install the Pertronix. If the play is acceptable install the Pertronix in the OEM dizzy.

Yes it's better, there are a few different distributors out there with different curves. The best one I've used was from 80s non-us non-emissions market. If your thinking about getting rid of the points you might just go HEI unless your trying to keep the stock look.

Short answer YES it's worth it. When Mark did the carb he probably installed the ported vacuum port you will need for a vacuum advance dizzy.
I would check you current dizzy to see how much play you have in the shaft. If it's a lot then go with a new dizzy and install the Pertronix. If the play is acceptable install the Pertronix in the OEM dizzy.
Yes Mark did install the vacuum port when he did my carb so it's ready to go. To test for "play" do you simply pull the cap and see if the rotor moves back and forth? What is acceptable "play"?

I've been considering the Pertronix since I got my fj40 because they are so simple but I'm wondering if the vacuum advance makes a big enough difference to justify it....if my current dizzy isn't worn out? Is the performance difference noticeable?

It’s escaping me but someone here is modifying the vac retard can to turn it into a vac advance. (Might be @4Cruisers like @Catching Neutral tagged). There’s cheaper ways than a $400 unit (like a used vac advance distributor). I think a DUI distributor is near $400. I’ve never used one but people on here have and are happy.

If you can move it much at all it's worn. Any side to side movement will result in the points gap being all over the place while running. I think the old timers called that "points jitter".
Yes Mark did install the vacuum port when he did my carb so it's ready to go. To test for "play" do you simply pull the cap and see if the rotor moves back and forth? What is acceptable "play"?

I've been considering the Pertronix since I got my fj40 because they are so simple but I'm wondering if the vacuum advance makes a big enough difference to justify it....if my current dizzy isn't worn out? Is the performance difference noticeable

My bone stock 73 FJ40 runs/drives great. It has a Fairey OD that was installed at the dealership when purchased and it makes highway speed very comfortable. The original F155 has great compression on all cylinders, excellent oil pressure and runs smooth. I had Mark rebuild the factory 1973 Aisin carb and it is super nice. The only thing I'm thinking about doing to her at this point is upgrading the factory vacuum RETARD distributor for a factory vacuum ADVANCE unit. My question is.....is it worth changing if my engine is running well now? I mean, is there enough noticeable improvement with the vacuum advance to justify the $400?

If I do the upgrade I'll likely also install a Pertronix point eliminator because I have them on a few of my other old vehicles and really like how they work. Would I be better off to save the $400 on the vacuum advance distributor and just install the Pertronix in my stock vacuum retard distributor? Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can give.

what type and brand vacuum advance distributor are you going to go with ?

installing a PERTRONIX kit in a OEM TOYOTA vacuum retard style Distributor , would be like Upgrading to POWER Front Drum Brakes set up ....

your looking at this in the wrong way a bit

you should be asking yourself :

" Why the hell have i waited this long to ditch the cave-man retard dizzy ? I simply love all the positive benefits of my new OEM genuine NipponDenso Vacuum Advance modern parts that are not 50+ years old , and tired , sloppy etc . "

perhaps the below TECH- REEL will better explain what i am trying to here ?

make sure you click ON the speaker volume and turn your device volume to the highest level ,

you clearly see and feel all the finer points , of having life-time vacuum advance points here below .... :)

1706681806079.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom