Distributor Position (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does this seem a tooth off? I’m running a little rough but I thought if I was a whole tooth off it would be really rough. I think I’m supposed to be pointed between 3&4 right?
6928B18C-C14F-4FEC-A0AB-260A6242DE38.jpeg

I guess I should also note that it is set to TDC on the compression stroke, so it’s not 360 off or anything. It’s not that rough.

Old gas - top it off with hi test and a bottle of gas dry, then go for a drive. Water wet fuel filter doesn't pas gas well. Scrape the aluminum contacts inside the dizzy caps.

What is your timing set at?
That's the weird thing, I have to advance it way past the 7 degree bb in order to smooth it out at all. Anywhere near TDC or 7deg and it runs horribly. Would this be a coil/resistor thing? Distributor? I figure it's got to be a sign of something.

That's the weird thing, I have to advance it way past the 7 degree bb in order to smooth it out at all. Anywhere near TDC or 7deg and it runs horribly. Would this be a coil/resistor thing? Distributor? I figure it's got to be a sign of something.
Vacuum leak?

Also, you have a vacuum retard distributor. Is the vacuum line connected when you set timing? Where does the vacuum line connect to?

Vacuum leak?

Also, you have a vacuum retard distributor. Is the vacuum line connected when you set timing? Where does the vacuum line connect to?
No I take that line off and plug it. It’s running to my emission control box per a thread I found which showed where to connect the ports from the box.

No I take that line off and plug it. It’s running to my emission control box per a thread I found which showed where to connect the ports from the box.
Okay. Have you used a vacuum gauge to assess intake manifold pressure?

Tooth off doesn't really matter if you can get the timing set properly. It can be 180 out if you swap the plug wires around.

I think that's sorta normal. I need at least 20 degrees advance to drive mine.

For what it’s worth: On our 1970 with the original F engine, I’ve tried setting the timing at 7 degrees advance and it runs like crap. At about 28 degrees advance I get about 22 vacuum and a nice idle at 650.

For what it’s worth: On our 1970 with the original F engine, I’ve tried setting the timing at 7 degrees advance and it runs like crap. At about 28 degrees advance I get about 22 vacuum and a nice idle at 650.
There is something wrong with your setup.

There is something wrong with your setup.
@Mace and @Mark W I completely agree, and I would very much appreciate any suggestions. But after pulling and re-stabbing the distributor countless times, I haven't a clue as to what is the issue. I would be much happier if it were a 7 degrees advance. But doing so means I have to turn the idle way up to reach 600-650. The main reason I gave up chasing this issue is that the engine actually sems to perform quite well on the current setting. Starts quickly, idles smoothly with no choke, good vacuum... Sorry for the hijack.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom