Differential output flange inspection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
Any thoughts on how this looks? I just placed an oem seal in there. But want to make sure the output flange is good.

image.jpg

If the seal is on the clean part but IMO it looks like the seal rides right where it transitions from pitted/grooved to smooth and there appears to be a decent ridge right there as well so turning/polishing would likely reduce the OD too much, new flange IMO as I hate speedi sleeves. Try calling Georg/ Valley Hybrids they are in Stockton & he has them. Shop may be empty this week for Rubithon tho.

If the seal is on the clean part but IMO it looks like the seal rides right where it transitions from pitted/grooved to smooth and there appears to be a decent ridge right there as well so turning/polishing would likely reduce the OD too much, new flange IMO as I hate speedi sleeves. Try calling Georg/ Valley Hybrids they are in Stockton & he has them. Shop may be empty this week for Rubithon tho.
What do you have against them out of interest?
I'm very happy with the speedi sleeve on my handbrake (which had much less wear than this but was still needed).

I dont know usually when the flange has that much wear it will have wallered out bolt holes. I mean a sleeve can work fine if there is no other reason. If it has a crush sleeve vs a solid spacer IMO it is good to use the original flange if a speedi sleeve will save it.

Same, I had a wear on the handbrake drum, and the Speedi sleeve solved the same issue of a groove. Although not as grooved as badly as this one.

I dont know usually when the flange has that much wear it will have wallered out bolt holes. I mean a sleeve can work fine if there is no other reason. If it has a crush sleeve vs a solid spacer IMO it is good to use the original flange if a speedi sleeve will save it.

Can I ask what a crush sleeve is? Where would I find that on my 68-74 front differential? Sorry for the dumb question :)

Pinion seal/bearing area. I would also consider flame spray build up and turn back down to spec's for parts that's can't be sourced or are way to costly.

Any thoughts on how this looks? I just placed an oem seal in there. But want to make sure the output flange is good.

View attachment 3419879

that flange is TOAST , the sealing surface is simply smoked from age , time , and beyond it is in-fact

- you can use a speedy sleeve ....

- or

- you can replace the flange assy. itself with one from @cruisermatt 's OFF ROAD , i liked my results i recieved from him on this topic , and it was within my means as well too ,,,,

- you WILL need a new pinion Flange Seal , make dam sure it's a new modern OEM TOYOTA updated style w/ the built new modern age rubber deflector wing incorpated into the 2023 oem details that matter topic !

-

281338133_680338669703958_6649906290821958765_n.png

Crush sleeve is between pinion bearings and squishes when you apply preload when tightening yoke/flange onto pinion. not all yokes/flanges are machined the same so the crush sleeve may be crushed too far ( shouldnt be reused ), solid spacer replaces crush sleeve so you can get an exact preload and reuse it.

On a 67-74 you probably dont have crush sleeve, instead you likely have a solid spacer.

View attachment 3419879

That’s dead.

You could speedy-sleeve BUT a new fresh flange is far easier/better and not too different in price.

You’ll need to clock/drill for your smaller 8mm pattern fwiw

EC22F783-FFF0-4784-B631-3977F99FEE1F.jpeg

That’s dead.

You could speedy-sleeve BUT a new fresh flange is far easier/better and not too different in price.

You’ll need to clock/drill for your smaller 8mm pattern fwiw
Yeah. It's toast!

I recently ordered a new one from your site for my '74 font dif, and it fits perfectly.

When I went to start working on my stock '67 rear dif, I noticed the 8mm holes. Called your shop and they did say I could drill new 8mm holes on another new one, which is a good workaround.

Fortunately, I live down the road from a Mud member who let me pick one from his collection of stock flanges. I ended up picking a good one that I just installed.

Yeah. It's toast!

I recently ordered a new one from your site for my '74 font dif, and it fits perfectly.

When I went to start working on my stock '67 rear dif, I noticed the 8mm holes. Called your shop and they did say I could drill new 8mm holes on another new one, which is a good workaround.

Fortunately, I live down the road from a Mud member who let me pick one from his collection of stock flanges. I ended up picking a good one that I just installed.

Sweet, sounds like you’re golden! We may do another batch of 8mm ones but the last batch took years to sell so I dunno :D

Make a small batch pleaase....there are lot's of early rigs out there needing these flanges...mine included.

Thank you!
Second this

I'll put it on the agenda. We are getting a new-to-us end mill in the coming weeks and can likely whip them out much faster than before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom