Replacing Differential Housing Gaskets (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why does the guy on the 40 Channel have a bearing race or sleeve on his axle shaft, and I don't have that on mine?
1699404172768.png

1699403799116.png

They changed sometime after 1970 (not sure exact year) and quit putting the races on the axle shafts.

Next time you rtv one in place and take it apart in a year - I’ll book a flight and watch your expertise.

Just did it after Christmas. It's a non issue. You'll be flying in to watch a thirty second struggle.

Thirds are even easier.

Measure the backlash before you disassemble and mark the adjustment nuts on either side of the carrier with a punch before you take anything apart. Make sure you don’t mix up the caps, adjusters or races. They have to stay together.

When you reassemble, make sure you don’t cross thread the adjusters. Do you have a dial indicator?
No, no dial indicator. I might be able to have someone help.

BUT….. is all this necessary? From what I see, this shouldn’t involve any backlash. It’s just three screws to take the old seal off, and the new housing should go right on. Why all the fuss with backlash?

IMG_5204.png

Oh Boy! I don't know how to do that (set the backlash). All I know is that the Locker has been blowing oil for some time. I have a nice oil spot on the hood above the compressor. The compressor does cycle regularly when engaged. How frequently? IDK... every 10-15 minutes maybe.

If you want to learn about setting backlash you need to review info here.

BUT….. is all this necessary? From what I see, this shouldn’t involve any backlash. It’s just three screws to take the old seal off, and the new housing should go right on. Why all the fuss with backlash?

View attachment 3475725
That’s fair. I wasn’t aware you could do it without removing the carrier

View attachment 3475725

I stand corrected.

@pb4ugo I’m not sure. It looks like you you have to remove the Clamping Plate which sits between the bearing and the Adjuster Nut. I don’t know if that means you change the adjustment on that bearing, mandating you to check the backlash or not. You don’t have to remove any bear caps or loosen any cap bolts.

My late 70' production 40 did not have races on rear shafts. Maybe not og shafts but I believe they were.
I cant remember but it seems there was discussion about the old arb adjuster/seal set up that accepted the three screws doesnt accept the spring clip or something of that nature. If you are concerned about backlash, adjust/check it while your in there.

I spoke with ARB. @pb4ugo was right. Once you remove that Adjuster Nut to remove the clamping plate, you have to check the backlash when you reset the adjuster net. SOB!

I spoke with ARB. @pb4ugo was right. Once you remove that Adjuster Nut to remove the clamping plate, you have to check the backlash when you reset the adjuster net. SOB!

If that's the case, check your backlash b4 you disassemble so you can adjust to the same as it was. If it sits between the bearing and adjusting nut the carrier will probably have to be removed to slide the airline collar off the journal.

If that's the case, check your backlash b4 you disassemble so you can adjust to the same as it was. If it sits between the bearing and adjusting nut the carrier will probably have to be removed to slide the airline collar off the journal.
That’s a bridge too far for me. I never intended to get that far into the Locker. I would just try changing the o-rings, but I’m finding that they are almost impossible to find. ARB says they are discontinued (for the older RM08 Model) but you can use a BS133 Vitron 75 from Grainger. Problem is you are supposed to use the part with the “BS” in the part number but you can’t find them. I believe it stands for “British Specification””.” You can get a 133 Vitron 75 but it’s a slightly larger o-ring than the BS133. I give up! I’ll just put the Locker/Pumpkin back in with new gaskets and call it a day.

I just bought some studs for my diff housing from Toyota. They came with a green sealant already on the studs. Is that reliable in lieu of any rtv?

Blueing is normal, FWIW your splines look great, bearing surface looks good, and it dont take much to spit that cork out so tighten with care.
@peesalot should/can I clean/polish the bearing surface on these axles? If so, can I use 1500 wet/dry sandpaper with oil or water or do I need to use emory cloth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom