dash light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I can't see my dash in the dark... I have never seen the stock dash light in person, My 55 is a 70. I do have a dash pad from a 73 so there is a spot for one. Dose it work well enough? dose it come on when you turn on the head lights? is it annoying while on? Anyone have one for sale?

Weak at best. I’d be interested if anyone has brightened things up via whatever means. I do have an extra light assembly I’ve been hoarding thinking I might find a way to
Add a second one to my dash.

So, I can't see my dash in the dark... I have never seen the stock dash light in person, My 55 is a 70. I do have a dash pad from a 73 so there is a spot for one. Dose it work well enough? dose it come on when you turn on the head lights? is it annoying while on? Anyone have one for sale?
You can use LED lights that really brighten things up. I think I got them from @ToyotaMatt

This pic below shows gauges w/ LEDs installed.

guages LED lights.jpg

Last edited:
I think @arthog was referencing the single light under the center of the dash pad that’s supposed to illuminate the heater controls.

thanks for the input, all. I think I'll make one up.

Is the bulb the same as the dome light?

My apologies. I'll try to get that taken apart asap.

2nd Edit: I am guessing that the under dash light bulb is not the one I referenced below. It makes no sense for it to be 23W when the overhead dome light is only 10W. If the dome light is 10W then I would think the dash light would be less, maybe way less. I can find no marking on the bulb I removed and it is burnt out so impossible to get a feel for output.

Edit: Here's all the information I can find in the parts diagrams and I did take it apart and get some photos.

81370BBULB, INSPECTION LAMP
99132-1123012V 23W, 12V 23W

81240BBULB, ROOM LAMP, NO.1
90981-1100412V 10W, 12V 10W

Here's the Inspection lamp part number, FWIW. Not sure if this is the right part though.

81370LAMP ASSY, INSPECTION
81370-60010

When I google the inspection lamp part number, I get images of the corded lamp that plugs into the plug in the glovebox. My pig doesn't have that plug so maybe Toyota ran them as the same part number? Not sure but I can't find any other possible light in the diagrams for my '77. Sorry for the strikeout - plug is under the hood and not in the glovebox.

Looks like that bulb is still available from Toyota and there also appears to be lots of substitutes when you google the part number. Again though, not sure this is the right part reference.

Here are some photos of the dash light (or whatever it's called). The bulb measures 1.068" or around 27mm long.

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

Last edited:
Anxious to see if you come up with a brighter replacement bulb for that under dash light. You'll find the plug for the inspection lamp in the engine compartment. Mine is over the driver fender.

Anxious to see if you come up with a brighter replacement bulb for that under dash light. You'll find the plug for the inspection lamp in the engine compartment. Mine is over the driver fender.
I think you're right. Been a while since I went looking for it.

How bout a pic from the drivers seat with the light on. the close up pics don't represent real use. And is that the stock bulb or one of them new fandangeled acronym bulbs. pics are 🐂💩🤨🤔😯😲😳😘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom