Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpeg
Installed the Dobinson 3" heavy rear tapered springs. I thought I had 3-4" Dobinson springs already that came on my HDJ81 from Japan but once I put the springs side by side the color didn't really match so I don't know. Lift in the rear stayed about the same at hub to flare at 24"

@Box Rocket

My initial thought was the color was much closer till I had them side by side. I guess they could have been painted but who knows. I'll get another pic with some mud cleaned off. Whatever they were they were not bad but since the truck had 2" spacers and longer shocks they would come loose at droop since I removed the spacers. These springs are long enough that they do not.

Overall, I'm very happy with the set up. There's a few things I have left to do to finish it off like the caster correction bushings, LSPV, and possibly the adjustable panhard bars.
Huge improvement in the ride and handling, minus the caster issue. Ride is firm but absorbs very well.
Mike at Dobinsons was great to work with! Would definitely purchase this combo again.
I'll repost after the next install happens with my final impressions and answer anyone's questions if needed.

Overall, I'm very happy with the set up. There's a few things I have left to do to finish it off like the caster correction bushings, LSPV, and possibly the adjustable panhard bars.
Huge improvement in the ride and handling, minus the caster issue. Ride is firm but absorbs very well.
Mike at Dobinsons was great to work with! Would definitely purchase this combo again.
I'll repost after the next install happens with my final impressions and answer anyone's questions if needed.
Do you have any specs to add to this spec thread. Free height, wire diameter, turns.... shocks exstension & compression etc.

Do you have any specs to add to this spec thread. Free height, wire diameter, turns.... shocks exstension & compression etc.
Yeah, that would probably be helpful wouldn't it.

Springs
Front: C59-166 - 19.5" Free height / 10.125 Turns / .67 Wire diameter / Spring Rate 220
Rear: C59-167 - 19" Free height / 8.3 Turns / .70" Wire diameter / Spring Rate 210

Shocks
Front: MR59-60682 - 2.5" Shock body / 1" Piston rod / Progressive valving / Remote res.
Rear: MR59-60683 - 2.5" Shock body / 1" Piston rod / Progressive valving / Remote res.

I forgot to measure full extension/compression of the shocks before putting them in (got too excited). I'll find a spot where I get full articulation, measure it, and edit it in.

Did you get 2.5" of lift or did it end up being more?
It's not a full 2.5", according to Dobinsons it's a 60mm lift which translates to 2.36". Measurements from hub to bottom of the fender come out to:
Front: 22.5" with 2.1" of lift from the 20.4" stock height.
Rear: 23" with 2.4" of lift of lift over the 20.6" stock height.

So it appears to be pretty close to the stated 2.36" with the exception of the front, however as you can see from the pictures the front springs have a slight curvature do to the caster being off and so they are not pushing straight up. I don't have a picture of them compressed but it became much more apparent once the weight was added. So I reckon that once I get the caster corrected and the springs straightened out it, that additional .25" will most likely be a pleasant outcome.

i saw these today.View attachment 1724156 Old Man Emu BP-51 Adjustable Shocks for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series
Curious to find out specs. Looks like two lengths too.

Since it seems the Old Man Emu BP-51s have been neglected in this thread so far.

BP-51.jpg

I think it should also be noted that of all shocks listed in this thread so far, the OME BP-51s are the ONLY bolt-in bypass option for an 80 at this point. Some others are adjustable, but are not actual bypass shocks.

More info here thanks to @cruiseroutfit

The pics below are of the longer front and rear shocks, with OME 850J front coils, and 863 rear coils.

80_bp51_1-jpg.1759235
80_bp51_2-jpg.1759236
80_bp51_3-jpg.1759237
80_bp51_4-jpg.1759289
80_bp51_5-jpg.1759290

Last edited:
Since it seems the Old Man Emu BP-51s have been neglected in this thread so far.

View attachment 1799800

I think it should also be noted that of all shocks listed in this thread so far, the OME BP-51s are the ONLY bolt-in bypass option for an 80 at this point. Some others are adjustable, but are not actual bypass shocks.

The pics below are of the longer front and rear shocks, with OME 850J front coils, and 863 rear coils.

80_bp51_2-jpg.1759236

That face you make when someone installs BP-51's in an 80!! hahahaha

bp51 face.JPG

View attachment 1799800

80_bp51_1-jpg.1759235
80_bp51_2-jpg.1759236
80_bp51_3-jpg.1759237
80_bp51_4-jpg.1759289
80_bp51_5-jpg.1759290

Is it me or the shock stention guard is awedulky close to the resi on the rear?

That face you make when someone installs BP-51's in an 80!! hahahaha

View attachment 1801216

Ha ha that is awesome! Never even noticed that until now.

Is it me or the shock stention guard is awedulky close to the resi on the rear?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking (maybe you aren't either?:flipoff2:) but everything clears just fine. They are a tight fit, but ARB did their homework. Probably the angle of the photo? Or, there is a chance that the guard hadn't been fully seated when the pic was taken.

i just wanted to add my feedback from my 2" Dobinson tapered coil install the other week. All measurements are center of hub to bottom of wheel flare.

OME 861/862 Ride Height Measurements: Front bumper: Slee & winch; Rear bumper: 4x4 Labs; No other armor.
Spacers: 1" Front and 10mm rear.
Driver Front: 21"
Pass Front: 21 5/8"
Driver Rear: 20.5
Pass Rear: 21 1/2"

Dobinson 2" Tapered Ride Height Measurements: Added white knuckle sliders, land shark drawers, and trail tailor belly skid
Spacers: 5/8" spacer on Driver Front and 10mm rear.
Driver Front: 22 5/8"
Pass Front: 22 5/8"
Driver Rear: 23 1/4"
Pass Rear: 23 1/4"

My drivers side was lower with the old OME springs. With the new Dobs, it was just low at Drivers Front, so i added a spacer. A spacer was not needed on Pass Front.

I have the icon stage 1 shocks for the 0-2" lift. With the new lift, they were about 2" too short, at least, to take full advantage of the down travel. that will be next on the hit list.

edit: i just realized i can only upload 5 pics per post...so the last post of mine has the other 5 pics of the coils.

IMG_7225.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

IMG_7227.jpg

IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7229.jpg

Last edited:
with OME stock Height and 33s

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

Impressions with the Dobinson:
While driven unloaded, was very stable and maintained similar road mannerisms to when i was on stock height OMEs. I view this is a win, when i can lift a vehicle and it drives the same.
When loaded, was much more stable than with OMEs and did not sag in the rear nearly as much.

I was at Cruise Moab in May with the old set up and was there last week with the new setup, running some of the same trails. This included a Kokopelli Run (minus Rose Garden) and Top of the World both times. I know i was unable to take full advantage of the down travel and i did have the added bonus of 35s, but i felt much more confident on the fast dirt and washboard sections. I'll update once i get new shocks.

Also, i do need to adjust my bumpstops in the front as i did have some rubbing, but i also run 1.25" spacers...

Matt

IMG_7230.jpg

IMG_7231.jpg

IMG_7239.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg

IMG_7241.jpg

Are you running spacers with the OME setup in those photos ? Did the rear sag down with the double swingout and extra load?

Yes, 1" spacers in the front and the 10mm spacers in the rear. it is not sagging too bad in the pics because it's empty inside. When fully loaded, it def did sag quite a bit. i'll see if i can find a fully loaded pic with the OMEs

When fully loaded, it def did sag quite a bit. i'll see if i can find a fully loaded pic with the OMEs
These pics probably best shows the bulldogging...especially when compared to the other pics. It actually brings up the front end and the back dropped at least 2-3 inches...and i'm not that heavy of a packer. Same load and the dobs only minimally deflected (not pictured here).

DSC02806 2.JPG

IMG_5508.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom