Builds Bush Truck Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Almost a year ago i had an incident with the winch. Long story short it flew out, when i was designing the cross members that the winch mounts to i didn't have enough m10 fine thread bolts. and it was christmas time so the bolt shops weren't open. So i finished mounting the winch and all the rope guides and failed to remember only 4 of the 8 bolts were in the winch.
This photo was taken a few seconds before a big bang.

20210606_122419.jpg

And as the winch flew out it dislodged a rope guide which smashed in to the oil filter on the engines sump, so the motor pumped all of its oil out on to the ground.
I worked out later luckily this didn't do any damage to the motor.

This damaged the casting on the pto winch housing. but i was able the repair it

20210606_122645.jpg

20210606_124424.jpg

20210606_134840.jpg

Not long after this I had to abandon the truck and leave it out in the weather to perish for 9 months. I couldn't even move it inside, for fear of being arrested. But i got that legal bullsh*t sorted and i have access to it again . You can pick your friends but not your family.

20220423_162602.jpg

The first job was to get it running again. i managed to fire it up but a lot of things arnt working, it looks like some little grey c**ts have been chewing the wiring. So while i was sorting out the electrical problems. i globed some more paint on it, except i used proper tractor paint this time instead of some sh*tty aerosol stuff.

20220501_172024.jpg

Cheers

Its a long story and a weird situation, im not getting into it.
Because my shroud is make from 3mm ally, i did all the folding with a brake press. With thinner material though that can all be done with hand folders. Look up square to round transition. But there is an easier way of marking one out, that doesn't involve triangulation development. Ill find some more pictures today that explains it better.
Cheers

The weekend that cost me $6000 ... well almost $7000 if you in include fuel and alcohol

rDSC_0366.JPG

rDSC_0368.JPG

I hydrolocked the old girl. I wasnt even doing some thing cool, i just drove into a puddle too fast.
(I use to have an electrical problem, where as soon as i hit the tiniest puddle it would cut out)
So when it cut out this time. i fired it back up again. It run for a few seconds then KA DUGA DUGA DUGA DUGA DUGA DUGA DUGA DUGA. It blew a hole in both sides of the block, when the number 7 and 8 con rods snapped and punched their way out. I cant wait to take it fully apart and do an autopsy, so far ive found big chunks of ally in the intake manifold.

DSCN3790.JPG

DSCN3793.JPG

DSCN3792.JPG

But it wont be long and and she'll be running again. I bought another LS1 from another Commodore that will work with the computer and loom ive got. Im in the process of bolting it in. AND making a snorkel.

Cheers Clint for towing me out. You better hurry up and make a pattern. So i can make you a fancy fan shroud.

No one needs to tell me im a f*ckwit, I know.

Im a snorkel short of a picnic.

Cheers

Holy crap, that will definitely not buff out...

Good luck with the fix. May have to pull my radiator to fix a pinhole soon so will make a template for ya.

Cheers
Clint

I got a bit lazy on updates.

Old engine out. Repaired aftermarket rear bowl sump, bolted it to new engine . There was a bit of drama bolting up the flywheel and clutch to the new engine. i broke one of the clutch bolts off in the fly wheel . A pain in the arse but i got it out.

New engine in all hooked up in about a day with no worries. It was running again about a month and a half after i blew it up.
Made a nice 4" stainless lobster back snorkel that tucks nicely around the roll cage. Ill take some pictures when i get a chance.

Ive taken it on 2 trips with the new motor, and its already dragged 2 different Nissan Patrols into and out of tracks far beyond what they were capable of haha

Cheers

Because the truck doesn't get used as mush as id like , i built a petrol powered portable battery charger from sh*t i had lying around. Its heaps faster than a normal battery charger too. the alternator is from a 2LT , so i might see if the vacuum pump on the back of it works as a vacuum oil extractor.
DSCN3816.JPG

To make it charge both the ignition and senser pins on the voltage regulator need to be connected to the positive.

DSCN3817.JPG

I think it might also work as a portable welder
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom