Building the Princess - HJ60 build blog. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right! Back into it.. trip done in the 47 (Eclipse/Karajini/Mt Augustus 2023 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/XN6oXX2nJPU6K5Dc9)

240grit sand done on the primer... it went on a bit dry :( so it need a LOT of sanding. Sanding down the primer (with guide coat) exposed a few lows which have been filled with Dolphin Glaze and sanded. A bit more primer on the glaze and we'll be onto the 400 wet sand. Maybe into the booth in a few weeks for the color and clear!

1685256162128.png

Final wet sanding with 400 grit nearly done.. taking a break, dog loves shed time..

1686382581452.png

Moving under its own steam again! A nice puddle of power steering fluid on the ground from two fittings I forgot to tighten whoops..

Still waiting on paint.. but electrical fitout continues, both battery trays now in and mounted, I am determined that only a single cable will ever be on any of the battery terminals. Each battery has two 60A distribution fuses behind them to distribute power as needed. The batteries are permanently bonded together - a third Lithium battery will be in the rear for the touring fitout.

I had some thinners out on the weekend as I was spraying a bit of paint in the engine bay on parts that needed a touch up - I hadnt cleaned up from my previous job and I put a container of used thinners/gunwash/unused paint down on top of my electrical crimp kit - it leaked overnight.. what a disaster. Photo below..

1690156016937.png

1690156041676.png

Last edited:
Slow progress.. and God said "Let there be light"

1692655403654.png

Two jobs completed today..

• New seats trial fitted.. all bolted up nicely.
  • Bonnet reinstalled - gaps all perfect which suprised me as the bonnet, hinges, and guards are all from different vehicles.

I was a little concerned about my battery clearances, the two trays I fabricated sit about 15mm higher than the factory ones.. but it all cleared nicely. I am going to run two different batteries so that the positive post of each battery is on the inboard side of the batteries on each side - this will move the positive post even further away from the bonnet in case something moves (cant imagine it will).

I really need to tackle the interior very soon - removal of all the old insulation and installation of sound deadening.

IMG_2439.jpg
IMG_2448.jpg
IMG_2437.jpg

Two jobs completed today..

• New seats trial fitted.. all bolted up nicely.
  • Bonnet reinstalled - gaps all perfect which suprised me as the bonnet, hinges, and guards are all from different vehicles.

I was a little concerned about my battery clearances, the two trays I fabricated sit about 15mm higher than the factory ones.. but it all cleared nicely. I am going to run two different batteries so that the positive post of each battery is on the inboard side of the batteries on each side - this will move the positive post even further away from the bonnet in case something moves (cant imagine it will).

I really need to tackle the interior very soon - removal of all the old insulation and installation of sound deadening.

View attachment 3412241View attachment 3412239View attachment 3412240
what's the little shiny box behind the battery? nice job mate!

Shiny bits! They feel a bit chintzy, but they are better than what I have..

1693304751622.png

Test drives up and down the driveway! Next weekend I need to drive it 600m on public roads to the spray booth.. I have been bolting various bit onto it to keep the local constabulary from having a hissy fit - it'll have an unregistered vehicle permit but the less attention from the PoPo the better.. The brakes feel GREAT! and I am sure the 2H is a race spec version, pulls strong and I am very hopeful of a sub 3min quarter mile.

1699074256077.png

1699074339420.png

High res images in the album.. Pavement Princess HJ60 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/93qfEzPuAPWEc1mR6

Last edited:
Time for paint!!!

IMG_2983.jpeg

IMG_2985.jpeg

I am very pleased with the outcome of the respray... its really good. Not perfect, but very very good. I missed a small dent on the rear tailgate (I have no idea how), but it wont be seen after the rear bar and tyre carriers are on, its so minor I cant even get a photo of it that shows it.

There is a scratch on the rear left quarter panel that I missed - but you have to really search for it to find it. There are two runs in the clear that the spray painter is confident he can resolve next Saturday (he's fixed similar runs on another project he did for me successfully).

I was a little nervous on the drive over to the spray booth, about 600M on public roads but the thing the drives awesomely! Nailed the wheel alignment with a tape measure, the brakes are perfect, the transmission and clutch feel great! The 2H in this thing feels just fantastic - I suspect its the complete lack of accessories (and thus weight) but it drives like its got a turbo slapped on the side of it (and it doesnt).

Getting some UV rays in the front yard (what little there was of them today, rather overcast).
1699769955324.png

1699770461523.png

1699769882595.png

Safely back in her Regeneration Alcove.
1699769779717.png

The man, the legend. Jim - my spray painter mate.

1699770665928.png

Looking beautiful Ducan, well done, nearly there. Immaculate from here.

Thanks.. a big step forward this weekend. Just waiting on a windscreen seal and the chrome trim and once thats in I'll get it registered and start road testing it in anger.

A princess is starting to emerge :)

1700212192097.png

Factory mirrors back on.. not the best condition, but they will do for now..

1700946371978.png

So much rubber :)

1701501447988.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom