Building a carport using Billboard vinyl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Fellas,

I picked up one of these billboard vinyl and wanted to build my own carport using fence piping or similar. Does anyone have any experience with building such a thing? I see that Amazon has some kits for this type of carport but I was hoping for a higher quality that uses larger diameter pipes, assuming they exist.

This is a stop gap measure until I build the actual shop building, which will be I don't know when. I've lived in this house for almost 17 years, bought a tractor with backhoe back in 2014 and now FINALLY felled two ponderosa pine trees that died due to bark beetle infestations. It sickens me to have to kill two beautiful pinion pines :bang: . Water is scarce in my area and trees take a long time to get tall.

I've used Costco carports, which are similar to the Shelterlogic units but I'm wanting something stronger for snow and wind load. The trouble with these cheap products is that the span (between rafters) is too large, material isn't UV rated and the structure is cheaply made. You get what you paid for and they do serve their purpose. I've milked two Costco units for over seven years so I got my money's worth out of them. I want something a little wider, taller and deeper.

I'll keep updating my thread so that I can keep things straight in my head, as well as help out others who might be wanting to go this direction.

Amazon product ASIN B09SY88LPQ
Amazon product ASIN B08H1CZN96

Last edited:
I found this site, sort of dangerous if you ask me!

and this one

Found this one today and I like what I'm seeing. As of now, I'm leaning toward 1 3/8" pipe size and my snow load doesn't exceed more than four or five inches during a snow storm.

I'll go for the standard high peak carport 12x24 and may end up buying the fittings from this outfit and purchase the fence piping locally to save on shipping.

1668021360885.png

I have nothing to add. Except that I need to you to learn all the things. Because I need to do something similar sometime next year I think. Gotta make it look plenty temporary so that I can avoid a potential permitting hassle.

Dan

My buddy need an extension off one of his shop doors and I’ve been threatening to buy him a billboard for a year. Lol

There is a small professional shop in town who has most of their work area covered like this. Very sloppily though.

Billboard vinyl doesn't have grommet holes so that's an issue.

I have nothing to add. Except that I need to you to learn all the things. Because I need to do something similar sometime next year I think. Gotta make it look plenty temporary so that I can avoid a potential permitting hassle.

Dan

I wonder how much it costs to have a billboard vinyl printed? I'm imagining you taking a picture of what is behind your "building," having that printed on a billboard vinyl, and using that on your "building" - perfect camouflage!

Around these parts you'd need to do the roof too. Then the assessor won't know about it and won't increase your property taxes because of it.

His whole building is going to be billboard vinyl, so the roof would be printed too!

I need to unfurl the vinyl on my driveway this weekend and figuire out the dimensions and if the back side is completely one color. I've never even opened it up after purchasing it few years back. Once I get an idea of the dimensions, I'll pull the trigger on either a 12x20 or 12x24 metal structure. Check out the costs below for 1 3/8 and 1 5/8 fittings.

Got this email from Mark, from Swaseys.com (up above)

Ali,
Not sure what town in New Mexico you are, but our 1-3/8" is good to 6-8" of heavy California snow,
Rocky Mountain snow is much lighter, however you have much more wind than we do. So 1-5/8"
is probably the best choice for you. Usually what we do is sell people the fittings and parts needed
and then have you buy the pipe locally, it's a lot cheaper that way with shipping and damage.
All the parts less pipe for 10 x 20 in 1-3/8" would be $311 plus shipping, for 1-5/8" it would be $442 plus shipping.
Hope that helps, Mark @ Swasey's

1668606047564.png

I have a similar frame, I just screwed metal roofing 319526242, it holds up to snow and the Arizona sun. I bought it used, and I have moved It 3 times. Other than a few extra holes from moving , it holds up great.

I don't think that I'd bother with the 1-3/8" Where we live we get high winds on occasion. Most of last night was between gusting and constant ~45 mph winds. The only reason that my shade canopy survives that is because I have it anchored securely, both the frame and the covering.

I'm thinking to combine a pair of these clamps to hang the pair of these lights lights from. I know from experience with just one of those pointed up at the white underside of the canopy that two of them using the underside of the canopy as a reflector would be enough light to work on anything until way past SWMBO's patience with my doing that.

I don't think that I'd bother with the 1-3/8" Where we live we get high winds on occasion. Most of last night was between gusting and constant ~45 mph winds. The only reason that my shade canopy survives that is because I have it anchored securely, both the frame and the covering.

I'm thinking to combine a pair of these clamps to hang the pair of these lights lights from. I know from experience with just one of those pointed up at the white underside of the canopy that two of them using the underside of the canopy as a reflector would be enough light to work on anything until way past SWMBO's patience with my doing that.

What type of carport do you have?

I have a similar frame, I just screwed metal roofing 319526242, it holds up to snow and the Arizona sun. I bought it used, and I have moved It 3 times. Other than a few extra holes from moving , it holds up great.

No way, just self tap screw the propanel to the frame structure? Dang, that's an interesting thought. Can you post a pic of your setup pls?

Mine is a tube frame and material canopy much like what were used by restaurants for outside seating during the lock-down or like some of the semi-permanent swap meet vendors use. Straight tube sections fitted into welded corner junctions with a material cover.

What type of carport do you have?

Mine is a tube frame and material canopy much like what were used by restaurants for outside seating during the lock-down or like some of the semi-permanent swap meet vendors use. Straight tube sections fitted into welded corner junctions with a material cover.
Gotcha, sounds similar to what I'm looking at. Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom