Body mounts install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a wild hair to start changing all my bushings and body mounts. Knocking out the shackles this weekend.

Question regarding body mounts...

Can these be installed while the body is mounted? Meaning do I need to have the body removed to swap them out?

I looked around and couldn't find an answer.

Can these be installed while the body is mounted? Meaning do I need to have the body removed to swap them out?

I looked around and couldn't find an answer.
lol. The answers are yes and no respectively.

I replaced the body mounts this winter without removing the body. It was a bit of a process. My mounts were original. It made a significant difference for the ride.

1. Spray penetrating oil on all the mounts and loosen all the mounts but do not remove the bolts.
  2. Remove all the bolts attaching the fenders to the tub.
  3. Complete the replacement one side at a time. Install the new mount but do not tighten. I used a hydraulic jack and piece of 2x4 to lift the body enough to remove the mount.
  4. Rinse and repeat on the other side.
  5. Tighten body mounts during the alignment process
Three issues with the project.
  • Removing the rear sill body mounts due to access.
  • Installing the one body mount that is bolted from inside the tub to the frame. (ideally a two person job)
  • fenders/hood alignment I still have issues with the alignment.

Last edited:
I ran up to the hardware store and bought 4" (and a couple 3") bolts to temporarily hold the body and mounts in place while replacing.

That way, while replacing one mount, there was plenty of room to move the body away from the frame on the mounts next to it, without them actually becoming detached.

And a couple carbide blades for the oscillating multi tool.

I also loosened the bolts on the fenders, not sure how much that actually helped or not, sure it didn't hurt and was easy enough (none of those broke...).

Speaking from experience with these. DO NOT get this type. I threw them away and went with energy. 2 piece mounts will save you a lot of cussing and trying to get the bolts to line up.

When I did mine, most of the rubber pieces were toast. I worked at the airport, so I had access to lots of conveyor belt fabric, so I used that. This was in the 1980’s and it has held up well.

Speaking from experience with these. DO NOT get this type. I threw them away and went with energy. 2 piece mounts will save you a lot of cussing and trying to get the bolts to line up.
Energy what? Energy Suspension sell only these same Daystar body mounts: kt04007bk | Body Mount Bushing Kit | Toyota FJ40 1979-1984 - https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/kt04007bk

I ended up with a Daystar kit from CoolCruisers, (didn't realize that was what was being advertised). Anyway, they don't fit my 1980 40, and Energy apparently doesn't make them for my year truck.

Any other suggestions? I might just throw the old ones back on if I can't find NOS or a kit that actually fits.

@mrldcty

I also have an ‘80, April built so it shares some earlier and some later aspects. I’d be real curious to see what you come up with.

What is your build month?

@mrldcty

I also have an ‘80, April built so it shares some earlier and some later aspects. I’d be real curious to see what you come up with.

What is your build month?
January... will update the thread if I find anything. I will likely just use my originals, which are in good shape. I ruined one getting it off though...

January... will update the thread if I find anything. I will likely just use my originals, which are in good shape. I ruined one getting it off though...
Radical, thanks.
Seems we’re in a similar boat.

Thanks to fjc-man for pointing out that the mounts are still available from Toyota! They are very expensive from Toyota, but if you can wait and pay shipping, I did find them on Nengun for a LOT less. Here is an example: Cushion, Body Mount, No.5 Upper - https://www.nengun.com/oem/toyota/52201-90300

I'm going to replace one of mine by ordering through my dealer (usually next day), put the rest of the originals back on, and send the Daystar kit back.

Wow good to know. I need a hybrid as my frame has been spliced… older in the aft section and ‘79 from the wheel arch forward :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom