Bob’s 2FE Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
I am in the early stages of planning a 2FE for my 60. I have been reading and reading all the threads on this and my head is hurting. So with that I need to start my own thread and ask my dumb questions specific to me so I can move forward. This is what I have so far.

To start I have an 87 FJ60 built 12/86. My engine is not original to the truck. It was purchased by the PO in 2000/2001 from SOR. It has about 30k on it now. Serial number on the engine is 2F 527112. Trying to figure out what year it is from.

So my starting point is a complete 2F. It is my daily driver so I want to get all the parts together that I need and then build it out. I don’t really want to get a whole 3FE engine as I just don’t have that space and don’t want to deal with the extra parts after. With that in mind I am making a list of the 3FE components that I need to track down and get:

3FE Parts (Parts in red I already have)
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Intake Manifold
- Wiring Harness
- ECU
- Fuel Lines
- 62 tank with Fuel Pump Assembly
- 62 tank straps
- Distributor
- Head
- Air Filter Assembly
- Exhaust Manifolds
- Thermostat Housing

Sensors
- Water Temperature Sensor: 182-65 (On Thermostat Housing)
- Water Temperature Switch: 182-67 (On Thermostat Housing)
- Cold Start Timer Switch: 182-66 (On Thermostat Housing)
- Throttle Position Sensor: 037-140A (In the throttle body)
- Air Flow Meter: 012-36A (On the Air Filter)
- Vacuum switching valve: 048-71A (For fuel pressure regulator)
- Ox sensors: 048-10L (x2)

Other Items
- Water Pump Reducer

Recommended Items
- Camshaft (2F): Visit to Delta
- Rockers (2F): Visit to Delta
- Conrods (2F): Balanced
- Pistons (2F): Flat top

So, what am I missing??? I know I am. I’m just not sure of what.

My end goal when all is said and done is a 2FE + H55F + Stock transfer case. And I do want an AC system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Fuel tank, lines and are not essential.

I run a 1Ltr surge tank feed by the original mechanical pump. From there a closed loop runs the high pressure for the injection with an electric pump just under the hood.

You will need the 3FE head too, I don't see that on your list.

Regards Matt

PS a mud welcome to the 2FE world :flipoff2:

@matt.mcinnes - Thanks for the insights on the tank and lines. I will have to look at that. Question, can the 2F work with the 62 lines and tank?

@tonkota - Thanks for the thermostat note. I like the idea of Jet ECM mod. You may have just meet the first person ;) We'll see as I move along. I like the round headlights, sorry. Also. already upgraded to HIDs upfront. Very bright. Whats the AFM? sorry, I know that is a dumb question.

Something else crossed my mind. Exhaust setup. Whats needed there. Stay 2F or go 3FE header and custom to the end?

Also, I need to maintain the smog system. Good ole CA. While I am doing this rebuild I want to replace all my rubber lines in the bay. So what should I be looking at. 2F tubes or 3FE tubes?

Thanks Guys, You are making my head hurt less and less.

Air filter Assy?
attachment.php

$50 a reasonable price?

You will need 3F-E exhaust manifolds and connect to the existing exhaust. No 3F-E header, they are $400 I think...

3F-E tubes mostly, but some 2F stuff might stay (PCV and such).

AFM is the silver box with black plastic lid on top of the air filter assy.

I have no idea on CA Smog issues or requirements. Be aware of the camshaft then. It may require additional tuning to pass a sniffer.

Good luck with this build, and keep us posted....
try to get hold of (ORANGE62) he is not too far from you.
Georg is a good guy and the last I read he was parting out a 62.
he might have some parts you need....
RAMZ..

I know Georg. Great guy. He looked at my cruiser for me and helped make sense of a few things down at his shop a few weeks ago. His shop will getting my truck in the future for a rear air locker and OEM build. He also got the timing up to snuff for free.

Build may take awhile but I will definitely keep everyone up to date. I'm kind of a picture slut to so...

bambuhiphop;5580106I like the idea of Jet ECM mod. You may have just meet the first person ;) We'll see as I move along. [/QUOTE said:
Don't bother with Jet. I talked to them several times about this scenario specifically. They have a map for a stock 3FE only and gave very mixed messages as to whether they would try to optimize it for a non stock engine. First yes then eventually the answer was a firm no. Even if the answer had been yes I wouldn't have done it. Trying to optimize a custom tune almost mandates that the tuner have the engine and a (preferably load bearing) dyno. Even if you were to do it by mail you'd still have to put it on a dyno yourself repeatedly to see if the changes that they made made things better or worse.

Also consider that they have to physically modify your ECU. Toyota OBDI ECUs are not the same as Ford/Chevy ECUs of the same era (those have the data maps in removable chips). Any Toyota ECU of this vintage needs to have the chip desoldered and a socket installed that accepts a chip that the tuner programs (or a daughter board; maybe there are other options as well, I'm in software not hardware :D). But regardless you have to physically modify the ECU's board. This isn't a big deal, but it does make me a little nervous from a reliability standpoint.

EZ-EFI

There is a new EZ-EFI kit from FAST for existing injection setups that could work for you. FAST: Multiport Retro-Fit EZ-EFI® Kit

I have thought of using this on my FJ60 with a Chevy throttle body. It seems like a pretty straight forward install. The reviews from the hot rod mags about the full EZ-EFI kit have been pretty stellar. I am waiting for a long term look at this before I drop the cash. Though without having to do any of my own programing sounds pretty good.

Keep your original thermostat housing. You won't be touching that on this build.

Ummm, I used the 3FE thermostat housing since it was already bolted to the head. I seem to recall there were some coolant ports to the TB, and maybe a few other things.

Just want to clarify something i think I already know the answer to but need to ask anyways...

I want to use the 2F conrod and the 3FE Pistons, right?

As I understand it I need the length of the 2F conrod but need to use the 3FE Pistons to work with the 3FE head.

Just want to clarify something i think I already know the answer to but need to ask anyways...

I want to use the 2F conrod and the 3FE Pistons, right?

As I understand it I need the length of the 2F conrod but need to use the 3FE Pistons to work with the 3FE head.

Think you need the 2F pistons as long as they are flat tops and NOT domed.

Not the 3FE's though.

Matt

What Matt said. You need a late model 2F block with all the bits inside. To that you bolt on the 3FE head and the bits that go with it.

Ok so 2F conrods and 2F flat top pistons.

I am asking because I am wanting to minimize the trucks downtime so I am just going to but a camshaft, conrods, and pistons so I can have everything balanced.

I am concerned about the pistons being domed in my truck because the motor is not original and seems to be an earlier 2F.

Another Question. What are the sensors that I need? How many are there?

Water temperature sensor
Water temperature switch
Cold start time switch
Throttle position sensor in the throttle body
Air flow meter on the air filter
Vehlcle speed sensor (it's built into the speedometer, you might have it already)
Vacuum switching valve for fuel pressure regulator
Ox sensors (2)

Did you not read my article?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom