Bob’s 2FE Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did but I was pretty tired when I did. Will have to reread. Thanks

Water temperature sensor
Water temperature switch
Cold start time switch
Throttle position sensor in the throttle body
Air flow meter on the air filter
Vehlcle speed sensor (it's built into the speedometer, you might have it already)
Vacuum switching valve for fuel pressure regulator
Ox sensors (2)

Did you not read my article?

I have your write up posted on my 2F-E page right? If not, I need to get it there.

So ok, my parts list is getting there I think.

I went on SOR and got part numbers for the sensors. All correct?

So the VSS is the same for the 60 and 62, right? So I can just use the speedo in my truck now. No need to go hunt down one from a 62 specifically.

Thanks, everyone for the help. Hopefully others will get use from my parts list in the future.

Speedometer and VSS are two different things. The VSS is a 4-pulse reed switch built into the speedometer of the FJ62. I seem to recall someplace that the FJ60 (and late FJ40), even though it's carbed, also had the VSS. The VSS is used by the EFI ECU, though some have said it's either not needed, or it runs fine without it.

Thanks Pappy, I will take a look and see if it is in there.

Ok, I can confirm that there is a 4 pulse vss in a speedo out of an 85 FJ60 (Had an extra one lying around).

Hey RockDoc... I have read through your build a few times. It has been a big help :)

Was finally able to unpack parts that I got in:

ECU.jpg

Air_Box.jpg

EFI.jpg

Dizzy.jpg

Manifold.jpg

Unknown.jpg

Unknown1.jpg

Unknown2.jpg

Could use some help figuring out what 7,8, and 9 are?

Also, what can I do to clean this stuff up? Powder Coating, Painting???

7. Emissions crap
8. Coil/ignitor
9. Fuel filter

Too bad they hacked your harness.

Its all good. Got it all for $200 including shipping. Thanks for the help.

Ok, next line of questions. I was able to track down a 62 tank with a fuel pump for a very good price so I pulled the trigger on it. Now my questions are starting to focus on the fuel lines.

Could someone please help out with what fuel lines I need to replace? What would really help is if you could give me the SOR part number. Then I can see the picture :) I want to add these parts to my list.

Are the tank straps on a 62 the same as a 60? Would like to reuse my straps if they are crapped out.

Last question (for now, sorry) can I install the new tanks and line and still run the 2F? Reason I ask is I would like to, if possible, to do the entire install in two stages. Stage 1 would be tank and fuel system and Stage 2 would be the engine part... Would that work? Anything special I would have to do? Thanks guys, would be lost without this place.

Last edited:
When I put the 3FE in my 87' 60 I just unbolted the hard fuel line on the passenger side of the FJ-62 inside the frame. That will bolt to your FJ-60 frame using the existing holes and give you all you need to get the fuel into the engine bay from the stock 62 tank. Make sure the tank you are getting is comming out of an FJ-62 that had the tank recall done. I overlooked this and the tank cracked after a camping trip where I was loaded down. And if the conditioin of the fuel pump is unknown then it would be easy to change that now. What are you doing for the wiring harness? Are you going to covert the dash to a 62 dash, not very easy but doable, or cut into the harness to make a hybrid one? My dash was physically damaged so I just swapped the whole 62 dash in with the wiring harness. Again not the easiest of tasks but very doable. Good luck with your build, I am considering this for my FJ-60 since I have a 3FE already in it.

Well, I am getting a good tank, I know that much. Also, the fuel pump is in good shape.

I haven't decided what do to with my dash yet. I started looking at converting to a 62 dash but I am not sure. I have a complete 62 harness and my stock 60 harness so I will be doing a little bit research there.

So from what I can gather then firewall back the 60 and 62 are the same. I need to change to hard fuel lines in the engine bay for the FI stuff.

With that in mind I can run a 62 tank with a 2F.

The 2F fuel pump is mechanical and on the engine, the 3FE fuel pump is in the tank. You may be able to get it to work with a 2F and 3FE tank but I am not sure why you would want that? It is good that you are getting the FJ-62 tank from an FJ-62 that has had the recall done (which involves replacing your tank with a brand new one from the dealer). I never thought that the tanks would crack, but mine did. If I remember correctly, if you put the hard line of the 62' into the 60' then the rear end screws into the tank and the front end goes to the fuel filter, then to the lines on the engine. Converting the dash is an interesting project. I like the 62' dash better so it was a no brainer for me, along with the fact that my dash was damaged. When you say you have a complete 62' harness are you saying that you have the parts that go from the dash to under the hood to the headlights as well? There is the EFI protion of the harness, then there is the rest of the harness. Parts of both are necessary for this build but since I swapped the whole thing in I am not sure how or what needs to be done to make the hybrid harness. It has been done though so it is not impossible. Good luck!

The reasoning behind doing a 3FE tank with the 2F is because the truck is my daily driver. I want to minimize down time. We I get to installing all the 3FE engine components I am setting a lofty goal of a weekend with help from a mechanic. I am prepping everything so it will all be ready to go. With that said I am not sure I could do the tank as well in that time frame. So I want, if possible, to split it into to jobs.

First would be the tank. Second would be the EFI components. That is why I am looking into running a 3FE tank with a 2F. It would be a temporary setup.

I have the EFI portion of the harness, sorry for the confusion. I like the 60 dash better, personally. I am probably going to stay with the 60 dash and just do a hybrid harness.

My truck is going to be an interesting blend of 60 and 62 when I am done though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom