R.I.P. Moby (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moby

GOLD Star
Threads
My FJ-62 burned to the ground (mostly) this evening. Fortunately it was parked and no one was hurt. No idea what happened. I had just tightened the belts and looked everything over after replacing my oil pan gasket. Drove it 30 minutes, parked it in a garage and came back to find it burned. There were no indications of any problems when I drove it or walked away. Security said it smoldered a bit and then went up.

Although I doubt I'll ever know exactly how it started it's either electrical or fuel. I had a lot of electrical work - dual yellow top batteries, 175 amp alternater, dual SPAL fans, on board PC, seat heaters, amplifier, washer fluid heater (don't laugh, it rules in the snow/skiing and cold mornings :)), wideband O2, ARB compressor... This was always my biggest worry.

However because electrical was my biggest concern I tried to treat it with a lot of respect. All of my electrical connections where either crimped with uninsulated tinned connectors and covered with marine grade adhesive lined heat shrink, were AMP PIDG connectors or were Deutsch connectors (all crimped with terminal specific crimp tooling). All non stock connections from the battery either went from a fusible link to a distribution point and then fused (with an aux fuse block under the dash) or were short runs to heavy fuses (amp, fluid heater...). All wiring pre-fuse was armored as was most wiring post fuse.

If I had to guess I'd say it was the wiring from the alternater to the dual battery controller. I had just tighten the belt on the alternater and I always worried a bit that there wasn't a fuse between the alt and the batteries (1/0 cables). I couldn't figure out a place to put one that wouldn't take all the exhaust heat and still be close enough to do any good.

Most, if not all, of the truck is a loss. I might be able to salvage my Wagon Gear side and tailgate panels. The axles have 4.56 gears with an ARB in the rear. Longfield 30 splines in the front. Tor recently (last year) did an H55 swap for me. The transmission might be salvagable. 5 custom Stockton 16x8 with 3.25 backspacing wheels are OK.

The 2FE block (balanced, bored over, custom cam and head porting) might be as well, but I doubt it's worth it. The Split Second MAF and J&S Safeguard were in the glovebox so they're toast. The PC was under the passenger seat so it's toast too.

This was the first car I bought, way back in '97. Before I got it I had never even changed the oil in a car. Now I've done most everything except build or swap an engine or transmission or regear axles (I did have a 5.3 e-rod swap planned for the near future).

One pic of the damage and one pic of happier times with my dog Hunter (also RIP) who loved this truck more than I did:
RIP_small.jpg
DSC01783_small.jpg

Last edited:
Dude. I'm really sorry for your loss. If I lost my cruiser I'd be chomping at the bit to get another one. I wish you well and hope to see you around :)

I am sorry to hear this, I know you had a ton of custom work in your truck. Glad nobody was hurt though.

Hope this doesn't keep you down and we see you with a new truck soon.

It will make a great parts truck. hard to tell, but seems like you could be on to something with the battery cable causing the fire.

Oh holy s*** dude! So sorry to hear that. With all the work you've put into it, there's really nothing I can say that'd help you feel better about that, and if I tried I'm sure I'd come off sounding patronizing. Still though, very sorry to hear it. At the very least I hope you can eventually find out for sure what caused it, in hopes you can avoid something like that happening again.

Thanks for all the good thoughts, very much appreciated!

That sucks mate, couldn't think of anything worse. It's a bit hard to tell in the pic but I presume that the fire was only in the engine compartment? I'd be looking around for an area where there is some white / grey amongst all the black fanning out. This could point to the area that the fire first started, all depending on the circumstances of course.

Good luck.

Very sorry to hear about this. I did just happen to be looking at FJ62's earlier tonight and saw that there looks like some nice ones on CL here in California. Just figured i would throw it out there. Sorry again and good luck!

So Sorry man, really glad your pup wasn't in there. Who has a 62 to donate and we can all start pitching in parts? Christmas miracle?

Wow scary ... Hope you rebuild it ... Or one just like it

If nothing else I can offer this, now Hunters got his truck back as I believe there is a special place in heaven reserved for dogs and cruisers.
Long live the white whale.

sorry to hear about your truck, I"m glad no-one was hurt. I hope you can salavage some of the parts to use on another truck.
I don't know what type of fan contorller you ended up using but I had a SPAL contorller (older style) on my truck for a while back when I
was messing with the electric fans and one day we were working on the truck and it just started smoking (yes it was connected right and had the
appropriate AWG sized wires). I cut the power wire right then and removed it and it went in the trash....but it sure did get hot for
no apparent reason (engine was off at the time). I see that SPAL changed their design from what I had in the past, so I assume there
were some reason for doing so.

Last edited:
hey there-

just wanted to echo the others in saying sorry that you lost your cruiser.

as a fellow white, FJ62 owner (aka Fluke), currently struggling with some serious electrical issues,
i do not take this lightly and really appreciate you sharing.

-darin

So sorry to hear this. I have followed some of your upgrades and they sometimes went way above my head. Thank God no one was hurt. Hope you find a suitable replacement to start building.

Moby, Man I feel bad for you.

What a great looking truck. Hope you are able to determine or at least a 'best guess' the cause. Really sad.

Hope you get something similar soon. Good luck.

John

That will buff right out. Sorry to hear about the tragic incident.

Dyno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom