Another SAS and Lift post! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I disagree with staying on 33's. If I was going with those axles, I would be running 37's - 40's on 3" or 4" springs. But I like huge tires and super low lifts...
Haha believe me I would love to go that route however with these little 22RE engines they are slow enough and I believe the largest gear size available for FJ80's are 5.29's correct?

Here is a photo of what my buddie is building. It’s not really the same as what you are doing, but what the heck. He’s running the stock 80 gears, but has double t-cases and 40s with a 3.4 swap. It’s hard to see the axle behind the steering ram, but you get the idea.

035F26EB-01AA-4C20-8F64-BC624BBD5EC2.png

There are manual hubs for the 80 axles. Get them from Cruiser Outfitters. I'm with CreeperSleeper, I'd be running 37's at least and some 5.29's if I were building it. It will feel about the same on the road in terms of power. Throw a dual case in it for crawling. 3-4" lift would be ideal IMO. No reason to go bigger. I have had two of these pickups with 5.5" lift and my current one has the Trail Gear 3" and the lower COG is much nicer and you'll still be able to fit big tires.

There are 3" TG springs for the rear too but I used the LowRange Offroad kit for Chevy 63's in the rear. Longer, super flexy rear leaves and they match the 3" front springs well.

There is no way I would run 5.29's and 33's with either trans. With the auto, it's going to suck no matter what, but 5.29's and 37's put you just slightly lower geared than stock. You want that to make up for the extra weight and rolling resistance.

Here is a website to help you calculate what you need: Gear Ratio Calculator

Would I still beable to maintain highway speeds? From what everyone on "Yotatech" was telling me I need 5.29s for 33s because my truck is an auto. I thought 35s would be pushing it...
It'll work fine. The 22RE is slow no matter what. You'll get up to highway speeds fine, just might not be fast. If you can't stand it, then look at a 3RZ or 5VZ swap down the road.

There is no way I would run 5.29's and 33's with either trans. With the auto, it's going to suck no matter what, but 5.29's and 37's put you just slightly lower geared than stock. You want that to make up for the extra weight and rolling resistance.

Here is a website to help you calculate what you need: Gear Ratio Calculator

My 1980 Crawler had 5.29's front and rear with 33's and a 20R and a 5 speed and the top speed was still only like 55-60. I agree with Creeper Sleeper I would never run those with an auto and 33's.

Thanks guys all this info is really making me wonder about "yotatech" and how much they actually know about the advice they give. What would you all recommend if I decided to go with 35s? All the calculators show 488s would be a good match, I would like to be able to cruise 70 but still have a bad ass Trail rig

Thanks guys all this info is really making me wonder about "yotatech" and how much they actually know about the advice they give. What would you all recommend if I decided to go with 35s? All the calculators show 488s would be a good match, I would like to be able to cruise 70 but still have a bad ass Trail rig

I have 4.88's with my 285/75's, a 22RE and a 5 speed and I've been able to go 95 comfortably down the highway plenty of times.

70-80 - pshhhhhhh no problem. Can't speak for how it'd perform with 35's and an auto though.

I have 4.88's with my 285/75's, a 22RE and a 5 speed and I've been able to go 95 comfortably down the highway plenty of times.

70-80 - pshhhhhhh no brainer. Can't speak for how it'd perform with 35's and an auto though.
yeah they're big deal was being that I had an auto I would want to have the 529s

yeah they're big deal was being that I had an auto I would want to have the 529s

Mehhhhhh, I don't think so. You'll be better off in the low end but I really think you're going to lose a lot of top speed. 4.88's would probably be pretty good. What's in the rear axle of the truck now and the front axle of the 80 donor?

Mehhhhhh, I don't think so. You'll be better off in the low end but I really think you're going to lose a lot of top speed. 4.88's would probably be pretty good. What's in the rear axle of the truck now and the front axle of the 80 donor?
rear end of the existing axle has stock gears which I believe are 410s. The guy I got the 80s from was not sure if they were four tens or four 11s in them I just popped off the rear diff cover and there is purple paint in there not too sure what color purple stands for

rear end of the existing axle has stock gears which I believe are 410s. The guy I got the 80s from was not sure if they were four tens or four 11s in them I just popped off the rear diff cover and there is purple paint in there not too sure what color purple stands for

There’s a really easy way to find out your gear ratio. Count the number of teeth on the ring gear then divide it by the number of teeth on the pinion gear.

So for example if you counted 41 teeth on the ring gear and 10 on the pinion, 41/10=4.10

The guy I got the 80s from was not sure if they were four tens or four 11s in them ...

I have a stock 80 high pinion in the garage. It has a 41 tooth ring, so I would guess 4.10.

I has an 89 Toyota with a 22re and auto. Had 31s and 4.56 from factory and it ran great. I wouldn't be scared of running 4.88 with 33s as 4.56 would be a little slow. I still 60-65 with it and could pull about 50 going up a 6% grade for about 6 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom