Another SAS and Lift post! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still waiting for the Hellfire Highsteer kit to get back in stock from rough stuff. going to get Gears ordered this coming week and will post pics, it looks like you all talked me into ARB lockers front and rear so hopefully the tax return hits soon to fund those bad boys🤣

WhT don’t you like about harrops? Link to said videos?
This link will explain why the Harrop/Eaton isn't a good choice for serious off roading. Basically it has to unlock going from forward to reverse and vise versa a full half rotation of the tire before it locks again. To me, that is unacceptable operation for a locker. I like to refer to it as an "un-locker"
I have a question for the OP. What is your plan for the diff offset of the rear 80 axle? Are you going to run the rear driveshaft at an angle or modify and center the third?

Last edited:
This link will explain why the Harrop/Eaton isn't a good choice for serious off roading. Basically it has to unlock going from forward to reverse and vise versa a full half rotation of the tire before it locks again. To me, that is unacceptable operation for a locker.
I have a question for the OP. What is your plan for the diff offset of the rear 80 axle? Are you going to run the rear driveshaft at an angle or modify and center the third?

Being that the bolt patterns are identical on both front and back of the diff im going to flip the rear axle 180 (NOT upside down) so that way the driveshaft will be offset to the driver side and miss my fuel tank on the passenger side.

This link will explain why the Harrop/Eaton isn't a good choice for serious off roading. Basically it has to unlock going from forward to reverse and vise versa a full half rotation of the tire before it locks again. To me, that is unacceptable operation for a locker. I like to refer to it as an "un-locker"

Thanks for posting that. I didn't have a chance to dig it up.

Being that the bolt patterns are identical on both front and back of the diff im going to flip the rear axle 180 (NOT upside down) so that way the driveshaft will be offset to the driver side and miss my fuel tank on the passenger side.

I don't think this is going to work... The 80-series axle doesn't have an inspection cover. It's welded like a mini-truck.

Thanks for posting that. I didn't have a chance to dig it up.

I don't think this is going to work... The 80-series axle doesn't have an inspection cover. It's welded like a mini-truck.
I think you may be thinking of a different series axle? My Semi float rear 80 has a inspection cover, I'll post a pick of it this afternoon

I think you may be thinking of a different series axle? My Semi float rear 80 has a inspection cover, I'll post a pick of it this afternoon

Ah! I didn't realize you were using a semi-float. I have only messed with the full-float version. My bad.

Ah! I didn't realize you were using a semi-float. I have only messed with the full-float version. My bad.
Haha my apologies I dont think I mentioned it was a semi float. I would love to have a full floater however after looking into them I would have to do to many mods to get it to work because of the welded inspection cover (i would probably have to move the fuel tank to clear the drive shaft)

I flipped a FF LX450 axle in the rear of my '87 4Runner. It works fine. Cut off old diff cover, weld on beefy replacement in correct orientation.

115_RearShocks.jpg

I flipped a FF LX450 axle in the rear of my '87 4Runner. It works fine. Cut off old diff cover, weld on beefy replacement in correct orientation.

View attachment 1930117
Looks great, I was thinking about fliping mine upside down but I was worried about lubrication issues, figured spinning it 180 would be the best thing to do, as stated above I also thought about cutting down a Full floater 80 but the whole reason why I'm swapping the rear axle is so I do not need to run spacers to match the front so that would make my swap pointless.

Sorry on the Slow posting on this thread everyone, this is going to be a on going build and I'll post as parts come in and funds get right

I'm didn't mean the 3rd member is upside-down, of course. It's orientation has to remain the same as before or the wheels would turn backwards. Turning the housing over 180* solves the clearance problem, but putting things together upside-down is sometimes challenging... :D

Here's a pick of my semi float 80, waiting for 5.29 gears to come in so I can start working on getting these bad boys in!

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile everyone my phone crashed and ive been enjoying not talking to anyone Haha anyway here's where I'm at, I got all the original coil spring mounts cut off my FJ80 rear axle, I got the 5.29 gears sitting on my bench just waiting for my ARB's to get here before I tackle the gear swap. As far as my Highsteer kit from hellfire goes I called roughstuff last week to see what's taking so long and they said they misspoke it's looking like I won't get that for 2-3months!!! In the past several weeks I have also ended up with a 96 LT1 Corvette motor that I will be putting in once this is all wrapped up I'll keep posting as I go looking forward to when I can actually start getting these axles in, I told you it's going to be a slow build! Haha

That’s a a lot of miserable grinding. I put on of those axles in an fj60. The grinding was awful.

Adding a motorswap to the list too, huh? You must love wrenching!

That’s a a lot of miserable grinding. I put on of those axles in an fj60. The grinding was awful.

Adding a motorswap to the list too, huh? You must love wrenching!
Haha ya I'm not one that can sit still on the weekends, I found a good 2lb sledgehammer to be a big help beating off the old coil spring mounts. I'll post pictures of the motor shortly, This will probably be a year long thread I'm going to get the axles in this summer and I'll start collecting parts for the motor swap and slam that in next summer

Hey guys I'm back with another question! I'm gaining speed on this, right now I'm in the process of getting a 4L65E GM Transmission backed up with a RF1-A topshift Toyota transfer case to get this LT1 motor to work in my truck. My question now is being that I am converting over to this RF1-A T-case do I still need manual locking hubs to be able to run PART TIME 4Ă—4 with my FJ80 axles or will this allow me to shift from 4x4 to 2wd? Might be a stupid question but I have kinda overloaded my brain with info these last several weeks and I'm all twisted up

My question now is being that I am converting over to this RF1-A T-case do I still need manual locking hubs to be able to run PART TIME 4Ă—4 with my FJ80 axles or will this allow me to shift from 4x4 to 2wd?
Yes, and no. Shifting into 2WD at the transfer case will remove power from the front axle. But, if you keep the drive flanges on the front, the driveshaft, axles, and Birfields will continue to spin. One of the reasons to install hubs on an 80 axle is to remove the day to day wear on those parts.

Anyone on here have any other ideas where I can get a high steer kit for my FJ80 front axle? Tired of waiting on rough stuff for them to get back in stock,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom