Alternator replacement in 2023. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Land Cruiser 2001 4.7L around Irvine.
So, I replaced the battery with the new one a week ago, and the battery light came on in a week's time. Drove for around 40 minutes with the AC on till arrived home and the battery died. Charged the battery and drove to the nearest O'Reilly and their alternator/tester test showed that the voltage regulator part of the alternator died.
I searched through this forum and found that the recommendations are to stick to OEM/Denso new or reman. The reman OEM from Totota in Tustin is $265, which isn't bad, just I'm not sure what the actual quality is.
Non-EOM/Denso from O'Reilly and NAPA sounds like should be avoided.
Found some links to rockauto that mentioned reman Denso, but here is what I see at LC 2001 4.7L Alternators at Rockauto:
Reman on Densoproducts, which I would just buy, is on national backorder without ETA.
Though about some location to rebuild it, but if that's a voltage regulator, then highly likely worth buying a replacement.
Please help to understand what is the best option?
Wish I could complete this repair maximum in a week of time.
Thanks!

I buy only Toyota remanufactured. A second choice would be Denso reman. Both are Denso, but Toyota is remanufacture to a higher standard.

I would go with dealer reman. I have been happy with mine and don't trust others.

Btw, are the other Reman alternators like the ones listed by OP from Rockauto website (e.g. Pure Energy) also remanufactured from original Toyota/Denso alternators? Or were they reman-ed from subpar/unknown alternators to begin with?

You can also buy the 2003+ 130A Denso Reman alternator that is in stock. Swap the connector and nothing else is needed.

If you had more than a week (like maybe 2 weeks), then I'd say the local rebuild is the best option. You can buy OE voltage regulator, brushes and both bearings for $150/delivered. Typical remanufactured alternators only change the parts that are bad/out of spec and who knows which replacement parts they are using.

altern.png

Alternator went out on mine and tried putting a Non-OEM (O'Reilly) which had problems and still displayed the charge light. Got a Toyota Reman. and has been great.

Thanks for the link! Is there any major benefit/risk for getting a higher rated alternator?
In my case I had gone through a couple of alternators and didn't want it to happen again (i think I found the reason, fingers crossed). I also run a dual battery system, fridge, other accessories, as well as periodic winch usage etc so it seemed good to do for the money since I was replacing anyway.

I put a Toyota reman in my truck two years ago, after the O'Reilly reman that I replaced my original alternator with crapped out after 6 months (O'Reilly made good on it and gave me a full refund). At the time, I took some crap from some on this board for paying "more for the Toyota sticker" vs. the Denso reman. I don't know if the Toyota reman is made to a better standard than the Denso reman--if anyone has documentation, I would love to see it! However, when factoring in shipping, etc., the Toyota reman was only like $40 more than the Denso, and all it took a phone call to the dealer and I picked it up later the same day.

2 years, and still going strong, as expected.

Earlier this month I got caught in a bind out of State and had to pay a stealership $809 for an alternator replacement and discovered that they got it from auto zone. That sucked.

I put in a denso unit from Partsgeek last year., $220ish shipped including $40 core fee Also got the lil module for cheap to throw in spare parts bin for when camping in the desert.

Here's the brush kit to reqbuild your old one or to stack for roadside repair

Thank you everyone for your detailed replies. Rebuilding the old one myself is too much in this case, so I decided to go with purchasing the OEM rebuild from Toyota dealer (just not the local one in CA). Ended up ordering the following:
Part NumberPart NamePriceQuantityTotal
27060-50260-841998-2002 Toyota Land Cruiser - Alternator$207.621$207.62
90980-11349Housing, Connector Female$8.511$8.51

Plus the Standard Shipping: $27.58
Where $207.62 includes the Core charge of $75 as this is from the official Toyota dealer.
FYI
This topic was extremely helpful for the LC alternator parts numbers
and
This topic was helpful for the alternator plug housing

And the last thing now is wondering whether I want to replace it myself or would find someone here locally.

180 amp alternator from DC Power.

My alternator is taking a dump as well.

Boch Toyota has OEM Reman part number 27060-50260-84 at the link below for $135.30.

Serra Toyota has the same part number but the description says Reman Alternator with Reg/Assy for $230.

I thought the part number is the part number. Do I need the one with a Regulator assembly?

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your detailed replies. Rebuilding the old one myself is too much in this case, so I decided to go with purchasing the OEM rebuild from Toyota dealer (just not the local one in CA). Ended up ordering the following:
Part NumberPart NamePriceQuantityTotal
27060-50260-841998-2002 Toyota Land Cruiser - Alternator$207.621$207.62
90980-11349Housing, Connector Female$8.511$8.51

Plus the Standard Shipping: $27.58
Where $207.62 includes the Core charge of $75 as this is from the official Toyota dealer.
FYI
This topic was extremely helpful for the LC alternator parts numbers
and
This topic was helpful for the alternator plug housing

And the last thing now is wondering whether I want to replace it myself or would find someone here locally.
If you have any mechanical aptitude then you can do it yourself. It's not difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom