Katit's LX470 2000 - take #2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Time to start new topic!

As some of you may remember I have some experience with..

2 years later and now my daughter needs a first car. For some reason - LC 100 is her "dream car" go figure. For me - if I get used car that I have to work on - have to be LX. I just loved how it drove and it is easy to work on. Soo.. Search began. My main requirements were "all original", preferably below 200k, no paint job, no rust, no mods. And cheaper then most of them we see around...

Truck came from AR. Today I flew there and brought it to STL. Drove 350 miles, made it home.

Not sure how I am going to structure this topic. Probably this first post will list all of the action items and a progress. And I will post questions/details as usual...

NEED TO FIX
1. AHC
2. AC
3. Remote Key(s)

NICE TO DO
1. Front seats upholstery
2. Seat heaters don't seem to work
3. Center armrest replace/reupholster
4. Multimedia with CarPlay and 360 camera(s)
5. Steering wheel motor (U/D)
6. Steering wheel play (steering column bushings)

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6293.jpg

What I know about the car... This is story from Lexus owner portal and CarFax. Red is my notes on this.. I was aware of all this, I figured it's still OK to buy.

Owner 1 (not very smart person - read below)
Owned from new
Had cupholders issues
Had steering wheel tilt issues
75k miles: ~|~C/S CAR FEELS LIKE IT HAS NO SUSPENSION AT ALL SINCE 3 WEEKS AGO...HAS EXT WTY HERE ~|~HYDRAULIC SUSPENSION SYSTEM FLUID CONTAMINATION ~|~THE HYDRAULIC SUSPENSION SYSTEM FLUID HAS BEEN CONTAMINATED WITH WHAT APPEARS TO BE WASHER SOLVENT AND/OR WATER. THIS HAS CAUSED SYSTEM FAILURE AND DAMAGE TO SYSTEM COMPONENTS. THIS ESTIMATE REQUIRES REPLACEMENT OF COMPONENTS AND A THOROUGH FLUSH OF SYSTE
101k miles: C/S: C/S VEHICLE BOUNCES ALL OVER THE ROAD, CONCERNED TH ERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON WITH THE SUSPENSION...PLEASE AD VISE CUSTOMER TEST RODE WITH RANDY...PLEASE SEE RANDY ~|~TECH FINDS WATER ( SUSPECT WASHER FLUID ) IN AUTOMATIC HIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM, ALL FOUR SHOCK ACCUMULATORS ARE RUPTURED, ~|~WILL REQUIRE FOUR NEW ACCUMULATORS, FOUR NEW HYDROLIC ACTUATORS, AND FLUSH SYSTEM AS MINIMUM. CAN NOT GARRANTY AGAINST OTHER DAMGE TO COMPONENTS IN AUTOMATIC HIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM DUE TO WATER IN SYSTEM
So... Owner is not very smart. Kill AHC with washer fluid?? My main question was what is the resolution??? No record of fixing anything. Complained at 75k miles and then 100k miles? Drove for 25k miles with no AHC? And then sold it like this? Looks like it..
Since second owner is not with us, can't ask what happened. But his daughter (she was selling car) said (when I asked on FaceTime to press AHC buttons) that it's not working. Her dad "disabled it". This was all info I got. I was really puzzled on what "Disabled" means. Here we go. When I picked car up - there was black tape over AHC light and blinking warning. I didn't look under car, so don't know if it's still AHC, but.. All this remain to figure out.

Owner 2 (person who owned up until 2022 - bought from his daughter)
120k miles: ~|~ ~|~WATER PUMP LEAKING ~|~REPLACED THE WATER PUMP,TIMING BELT,DRIVE BELTS
190k miles: ~|~C/S TRUCK WILL NOT START, ACTS LIKE NOT GETTING FUEL, REPLACED FUEL PUMP LAST TIME IN ~|~NO COMMUNICATION WITH VEHICLE. POSSIBLE KEY TO START. NEED DIAG TIME OF UPTO 5 HRS. POSSIBLE ENGINE ECU AND KEY. TOYOTA DEALER SHIP CAN NOT GET ENGINE ECU, NEED TO GO TO OEM. NO WORK DONE DEALER.
First TB change done when pump leaked. OK, at least it was done..
191k miles:
~TOW IN- C/S THE CAR WILL TURN OVER, BUT WILL NOT START. PLEASE ADVISE. ~|~SWAPPED ECM FROM KNOWN GOOD VEHICLE AND CONDITIONS STAYED THE SAME. FOUND EFI CIRCUIT FOR ENGINE CONTROL HAD NO POWER. FOUND INTERNAL FAILURE OF ENGINE ROOM JUNCTION BLOCK AFTER TESTING EFI RELAY AND TRACING WIRE BACK TO JUNCTION BLOCK. FOUND OPEN CIRCUIT ~|~DIASSEMBLED AND REMOVED ENGINE BAY JUNCTION BLOCK. SWAPPED RELAYS AND FUSES TO NEW BLOCK AND INSTALLED IN VEHICLE. VEHICLE STARTS PROPERLY AT THIS TIME.
WTF is that? But right now I have just basic key with no remote buttons. This is something to figure out still.

Bunch of oil changes, etc. Most stuff done at Toyota or Lexus dealers.

Stuff NOT done at a dealer (but I see dealer suggested to do it, probably done elsewhere to save $$. But it was on CarFax)
192k miles
Radiator replaced
Radiator hose(s) replaced
Radiator cap replaced
OK. Immediately see hose - not OE, rubbing on engine cover. I HATE those worm clamps.

185k miles
A/C refrigerant recharged
WHY? I guess there is a leak. Well, AC works now. But, it works only on COLD. When you set to any temp (like 65) it doesn't blow. I assume it's sensor, but again I didn't see this before, so something to figure out still. And I hope leak is from known spot, will check.

182k miles
Timing belt replaced
Valve cover gasket(s)
replaced
Rack and pinion replaced
Power steering
hose(s)/line(s) replaced
Timing belt tensioner/idler
checked
Again, to be seen what they did, really hope I don't have to redo anything and it's legit.

145k miles
Accident reported
Vehicle involved in a
sideswipe collision with
another motor vehicle
Damage to right side
Airbags did not deploy
Thats OK, you can actually see it on a right rear fender. Not even sure I want to do anything about it, who knows what will happen to this truck.

Spent some time assessing condition.
Well, there is good and there is not so good.

Mechanical: Records match condition, and more. No leaks, no rust anywhere. New lower/upper OE control arms upfront, new rack, new radiator. New OE axles (judging by yellow clamps). All great.

Not so good: AHC removed. Aftermarket rear springs, bilstein shocks. Can't tell on everything else. But AHC restore will be involved and I probably going to postpone or cancel it alltogether. At least shocks, springs, (torsions bars?), globes, pump will need to be replaced. Probably sensors. Hoses just hanging in there for 10 years, need to be cleaned/flushed. Lots of stuff :(

For now, plan of action is to:
Replace all fluids, replace heater Ts and radiator hoses/clamps. Clean engine bay.

Inside:
Do complete carpet out/clean, new seat covers.

QUESTION 1. See picture, LH rear side. I will need to replace mudflap, but isn't something else is missing there? Looks like holes for some other cover? Anyone can tell me?

LR.JPG

QUESTION 2:
On center console latch is broken. Anyone happen to know PN for this?
CC.JPG

CC2.JPG

QUESTION 3:
Driver's side weather strip on a door. I have tan/beige interior. The only PN that I am coming up with (and stock) shows what seem to be gray part? Is that correct or it's something else? Only substitution available..
ws2.JPG
ws1.JPG

Thank you all for helpful responses! :)

Moving on. Interior out. Very filthy. Pictures here. Someone looks like spilled oil in a trunk, all insulation under carpet soaked. All carpets out, will be getting thoroughly cleaned. New leather in process of ordering. Seat belt webbing will be replaced. Other than that - interior was never disassembled, that's good part.

IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8543.jpg

IMG_8544.jpg

IMG_8545.jpg

sounds like good bone for project car. Seems like you have a valet key only. So you can pay 3-500 for two master keys from dealer or there are some threads on here to use Techstream and program some ebay keys. I'd prioirtize this as ECU has built in immobilizer, so you don't want to get stuck or kid getting stuck because of ECU issues.

If you swap out the AHC for regular shocks and springs, you should get new torsion bars, or used LC t-bars. The AHC t bars are much thinner.

sounds like good bone for project car. Seems like you have a valet key only. So you can pay 3-500 for two master keys from dealer or there are some threads on here to use Techstream and program some ebay keys. I'd prioirtize this as ECU has built in immobilizer, so you don't want to get stuck or kid getting stuck because of ECU issues.

If you swap out the AHC for regular shocks and springs, you should get new torsion bars, or used LC t-bars. The AHC t bars are much thinner.

I am on it (keys). Pink case from @suprarx7nut ordered :) 2 pre-cut (by picture) keys from eBay ordered.
I read all I found on keys (thanks MUD), and eBay seller is somewhat knowledgeable. Sounds like I DO have master key. It's opening trunk/glovebox and security indicator on center console does not come up when I put it in. So, maybe it will work to program others. If not - I will need to ship ECU. I will keep this post updated with what I figure out. Hopefully it's nothing that @Mauser can't fix.

On AHC - it's already regular shocks and at least rear springs. I don't know how to tell which T-bars, but it drives OK

Last edited:
This will be good! Your last 2001 thread was very detailed, with lots of great ideas!

If you a have a calliper to measure, Non-ACH TBs are 28.87mm, which is about 1.1 inches, while the ACH TBs are 25.5 mm, After market bars are 30-32mm. Sway away are 32mm, I run those. I think ARB are 30mm.

I have a spare set of non-AHC TBs, in case you end up needing one!

My son’s “dream car” was my 06 LX, with “lots of additional mods”, but what can you expect from a kid that rode home from the hospital (birth), in a built 80 series. He had to “settle” for a semi-built 00 LC as his first vehicle.

~TOW IN- C/S THE CAR WILL TURN OVER, BUT WILL NOT START. PLEASE ADVISE. ~|~SWAPPED ECM FROM KNOWN GOOD VEHICLE AND CONDITIONS STAYED THE SAME. FOUND EFI CIRCUIT FOR ENGINE CONTROL HAD NO POWER. FOUND INTERNAL FAILURE OF ENGINE ROOM JUNCTION BLOCK AFTER TESTING EFI RELAY AND TRACING WIRE BACK TO JUNCTION BLOCK. FOUND OPEN CIRCUIT ~|~DIASSEMBLED AND REMOVED ENGINE BAY JUNCTION BLOCK. SWAPPED RELAYS AND FUSES TO NEW BLOCK AND INSTALLED IN VEHICLE. VEHICLE STARTS PROPERLY AT THIS TIME.
WTF is that? But right now I have just basic key with no remote buttons. This is something to figure out still.
See @medtro ”fix”
QUESTION 2:
On center console latch is broken. Anyone happen to know PN for this?
I vaguely remember someone posting that the latch was not available separately, but it was the same as a popular Toyota vehicle (Camry?), and a “pick-and-pull” type salvage yard was “the key” to a cheap solution.

See @medtro ”fix”

I vaguely remember someone posting that the latch was not available separately, but it was the same as a popular Toyota vehicle (Camry?), and a “pick-and-pull” type salvage yard was “the key” to a cheap solution.
What is @medtro fix?

On latch - do you know which camry by chance? Don’t have time for pick n pull but can buy cheaper from ebay or something

On latch - do you know which camry by chance? Don’t have time for pick n pull but can buy cheaper from ebay or something

Thank you! Ordered one from ebay. Will update here once I work on it. I won’t drill anything since top lid will be disassembled for new leather anyways

Ordering of "stuff" started. Amazon is first to deliver hood/hitch shocks, so that is easy job - done.
All fluids delivered. As you can see I am Mobile 1 guy, put their stuff into all of my cars. I did play "oil testing" game awhile ago and went through bunch of different oils. Long story short - Mobile 1 for the price was better. But all brand oils were good. I settled on M1 for simplicity.

Bought set of mint rims (will need to remount tires I have). Rims on a truck corroded/ugly. This will make it look 15 years younger.

Ridies leather cover ordered as well, but it's 6 weeks at least. New Android stereo also pretty much figured out, but also going to take awhile to get here.

Meanwhile - all carpets pulled and cleaned. Some stains just wouldn't give up, but those won't be visible. Cleaning process underway, after it I will start assembly as much as I can. It sux because it's ideal time to run wiring.

IMG_8579.jpg

IMG_8580.jpg

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8584.jpg

Parts keep coming. Partsouq were cheapest on underbody panel. Even with shipping. Ironically, Facebook show me this part used for $60 after I ordered. Hate it :) Missing parts, new lug nuts (all mismatched/etc), emblems, mudlfap, door weather seal, hardware, rad hoses & clamps..

IMG_8596.jpg

Today I took on seat belts. For the most part it went good. I did 3 belts and f..up front passenger one. I let it retract while belt wasn't properly set and that's it. Then I removed clockspring mechanism, it flew out and now I am looking for good used one (will replace webbing anyways).

You can see some pictures of a progress. Nothing special about it. Pull belt, block mechanism with zip tie, cut and sew ends on new webbing. New webbing is little different color but I like it. Old belts were really filthy. Couldn't clean this junk.. You can see on a picture: Clean, dirtly, new colors.

IMG_8598.jpg
IMG_8599.jpg
IMG_8608.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom