2nd Dead Alternator (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a couple of strange little electrical issues like the radio reseting to default on its own for our '99. Then the alternator went out on an errand trip.

Took it out and since I couldn't find OEM, had a local pro shop rebuild the aftermarket that was in it. Rectifier was fried.

Small electrical issues went away.

It has been a couple of months and the rebuilt went out while we're on a long trip. I'm going to replace it with an aftermarket to get us back home and claim warranty on rebuilt.

My question is, is this a freak occurrence or is there something else going on that is frying the alternator that is common with 100 series?

Not common on the 100. Some more info about your truck would help - miles, any aftermarket electrical gadgets.

I would go with an OEM since it appears both aftermarket and rebuilt are giving you issues.

300k+ miles.

We bought at 280k so still learning it and not sure what all has been done to it. Kept stock and we'll maintained.

Found hard to read PO receipt of headlight assemblies needing replacement cause of headlight lamp connection melting/shorting which is really weird.

On road 900 miles from home so aftermarket is temp

Poor corroded connections can cause alternator failure.

My parents’ 100 just experienced multiple alternator failures and I believe it was bad connections/corrosion causing the alternator to perceive a low state of charge and then cook itself.

It appears to be resolved after replacing the positive terminal clamp, replacing the ALT and ALT-S fuses in the battery terminal fuse box, and also disassembling and cleaning that fuse box and all connections between the battery and the alternator.

In short, making sure all connections between the battery and alternator are perfect so it doesn’t think it needs to work overtime.

The 3 wire connector busted. Going to look for a new one but I think I'm out of luck finding one.

Can I run without it till I get home?

I think the black wire tan stripe had disconnected at the alternator prior to removal. Not sure what it does and if it could have caused the alt to overwork?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom