Builds Alaskan Cruiser build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wanted the finished stepped outer edge like stk, so notching it for the bends were out of the question. I laid down the tape to try to run as straight a piece as i could and hit the holes, then butt weld another piece to make the bend. I made a staggered cut on the vertical part so it could profile the curve.

The fankenstein hack job continues...

"Perfection not required."
Kept telling myself this lol.

Well, I sliced and diced the '76 transmission cover (only one I have close to being intact) cut out all the rust that I could. Shortened it and added a saddle for the '69 tub. Reconstructed The edge as best as I could being that I didn't have a majority of it, and it's designed different from the tub anyway.

I'll be finishing it up tomorrow and carefully grinding the weld at the lip I added to look more OEish.

20240105_055227.jpg

20240105_180406.jpg

Last edited:
Transmission cover repair/install
The deed is done...
Not the worst transmission cover I've seen...
Definitely not the best. It'll do pig.

20240106_151614.jpg

20240106_154058.jpg

20240106_155046.jpg

Last edited:
Very carefully installed the transmission pan with the paint not being fully cured yet. Didn't mess anything up thank goodness

During this whole process I also changed the square backing nuts out with rivit nuts. Unfolding a side tab, slid the square nut out of its cage, and used a punch to push the cage away from the underfloor to give the needed room for the rivet nuts to seat against the floorpan.

Also spot welded the rivet nuts in one spot so if they do get loose down the road they won't spin. Added loom to my transmission harness. Made adjustments to the PTO shifter. Also installed my transmission gasket before the cover. Basically tidied up as I don't expect to be removing the transmission cover anytime soon.

Very happy camper.

20240106_192327.jpg

Diy - Home Cut Door Key
Been a heck of a ride recently, while at work I experienced a cerebral brain aneurysm... Talk about turning someone's world upside down.
Very lucky to be here, let alone having the ability to write this...

Well, enough pity me update. Had time now that I'm home to sit down and make a key.
I did try taking this to our only local locksmith, and he laughed me out of his store.

Fair enough, I took it into my own hands and figured out my tumblers and cut my own key.

Luckily, Step grandfather had a rack of blank keys I was able to match one to the door cylinder, only identifiable by 'B48' also discovered my collection of old tri-5 era Chevy keys also slid in easy.

First step for me was removing the tumbler plate, springs, top tumblers and lower tumblers. Once I had them carefully removed, and recorded what order they were removed in (in case they got bumped) I was then able to use my silver streak pin to mark the tumblers positioning on the blank key.

20240212_170225.jpg

Only the last three positions in the cylinder are tumblers, the first is a springed backed ball that I think just helps keep the cylinder aligned, doesn't need marked on the key.
20240212_170204.jpg

I had to measure from the top of the cylinder (where the upper and lower tumblers break in order to turn the cylinder) to the guideline on the passenger side of the key (where the lower tumblers stop)
Once I had this measurement I was able to align the tumblers on a piece of paper, which funny enough my measurement was exactly the space between the blue lines.
Once I had the tumblers spaced correctly, which I use the tumbler plate to confirm, I marked the depth on the paper and reassembled the lock cylinder.
20240212_171144.jpg

20240212_171353.jpg

Not having a machine to cut the key wasn't too much of an issue for me. I have a crazy amount of files and time.
Just took it slow and easy, once I had the first working key filed down in a very rough, but smoothly functional I was able to take more time filing down the second key with more rounded edges that will be easier on the tumbler in the long run.
20240212_181423.jpg

I'll be taking this key to a ikey kiosk at Walmart, see if it can make a duplicate that functions. Or maybe I'll take it back to that locksmith that laughed me out of the store see if you can make a duplicate.

In any regards I'm able to lock the Land cruiser now, Mint. 👌

Last edited:
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Thanks! So far I'm recovering fairly well. It's a road full of bumps, doing a decent job of avoiding them so far.

Thanks! So far I'm recovering fairly well. It's a road full of bumps, doing a decent job of avoiding them so far.

Wow…Blessings and a fast recovery to full health.

Probably flip the purests out, but...

Was preparing to purchase wiper arms, blades and various small parts for the wipers... Would have ended up costing around $300 ish. Being the cheapskate I am, and the cruiser already being the Mutt it is...

I ended up comparing the wipers from the 76, and modifying the wiper arms to work on the 72. Was a complete teardown process bending the primary rod to be a mirror of itself, then punching the nipple out and pressing it into the backside, riveting back together. Used a stainless steel acorn cap to install.

Took like 3 days with my current snail slow movements... But good to keep busy.
Overall pretty happy for the cost 😁

20240214_082521.jpg

20240213_143047.jpg
20240213_143044.jpg

Fiddle farted around and pieced together a Hi-Lift jack mount for the passenger side out of random stuff in the garage...
I think it's going to work pretty well.

20240217_075605.jpg

20240217_075713.jpg

20240217_075609.jpg

20240217_075517.jpg

Walmart special $5 clearance mod...

Who would have thought Kayak carry handles on Walmarts $5 clearance shelf would fit OEM over door holes, include similar style correct sized bolts and a extra hook.

😅

20240218_065738.jpg

Well...
Here my good morning oh Fudge moment while finishing touches on my custom wiper arms...

Gunna fix, but... curious if there is a grease recommendation for the wiper box for when I goes back together. Stuff in it is almost rock hard and probably 50 years old.

20240218_073128.jpg

20240218_073812.jpg

Last edited:
Got the wipers buttoned up last night, and sure enough last thing tightening (even going easily) pop, threads broke right off. My fix wasn't good enough. After cleaning up the weld and threading it, found out the hard way that it looked nice, but didn't have penetration, just barely holding around the edge. 1st attempt is in the photos if ya look.

So, tore everything apart again and did the repair a second time. This time beveling my threads and wiper rod, starting a bead in the center and working my way out.
I've torque tested on the wiper already disassembled well beyond what I need, she's not going anywhere this time. "Knock on wood" 👌

If it breaks again... Who really needs a passenger wiper, am I right? 🤔

20240218_220006.jpg

20240219_052724.jpg

20240219_052746.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom