Builds Alaskan Cruiser build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went to put the wipers on and looked at my cracked windshield with a slight irritation, knowing I would only be removing the wipers again shortly.

Decided this was the time to go to my local glass shop and have my replacement cut and get the gasket material.

Only cost $150, $100 for the windshield, $25 for the gasket, and $25 for labor. All in all, not a bad price imo.

Onward tomorrow on starting to tinker on the windshield and get it prepped for a final go over. Lots to do.

20240219_154950.jpg

20240219_181009.jpg

Pulled an alternative windshield frame off a '72 or '73 tub, can't remember what year, due to rust on the one I had that I must have looked over due because of all the other hardware it had when I started.

Good point to pick the best frame I have to move forward with, but oof I'm this recovering stage that took it out of me and was a slow process... 😴

Regardless, I also learned windshield hinges changed slightly somewhere in 74 to 76... I'll be moving forward with the correct set and explains many issues I had 👌

20240220_163401.jpg

Got a lot going this morning, then I lost the steam... And napped until 4 😅

Prepped surfaces before coating in Por-15. Some light rust cratering got filled with metallic reinforced bondo, sanding it tomorrow, then primer and paint.

Also tried out a gel rust remover on some light surface rust around the wiper motor housing.

20240221_083242.jpg

20240221_083306.jpg

20240221_083254.jpg

20240221_083312.jpg

Last edited:
Made a vent fan this afternoon for fumes from painting. Usually paint when the wife is gone, now I'm going to need to keep the fumes out of the house.

Eventually I'll move the self to the right away, and this will roll to the side into the slot, but I'm just hanging the door in place for now.

20240221_184454.jpg

front crowl & windshield frame
It's not show worthy, but it is the same color 👌

Fan worked well, fumes stayed out of the house during the entire process.

20240222_085259.jpg

20240222_100751.jpg

20240222_102852.jpg

20240222_095650.jpg

20240222_100813.jpg

The windshield gasket was a real struggle.
Couldn't do the good ol' rope trick im used to being the safety strip gasket. Ended up making a tool for setting the strip. Definitely a 1 time use tool, got pretty flimsy towards the end, but it did the job.

Tool was made from the end of a metal conduit hook... 😂

20240223_051232.jpg

20240223_045131.jpg

20240223_050703.jpg

*Deep breath of satisfaction*
The wipers are finally installed 😁😅

Interesting spur of the moment decision to wrap up the windshield post finishing the wipers, but I can't really describe the feeling of having a actual windshield...

Feels, like it's nearing road worthy. 😏
Who am I joking 🤣... So much more to do!

20240223_072332.jpg

20240223_072351.jpg

Did some pigtail replacement...

Was real crunchy...

20240222_104713.jpg

20240223_053654.jpg

20240223_055029.jpg

20240223_073253.jpg

Coming along nicely! Who did you use locally out here on the peninsula for the windshield? I wonder if they could do the smaller curved ones for the hardtop as well.

Coming along nicely! Who did you use locally out here on the peninsula for the windshield? I wonder if they could do the smaller curved ones for the hardtop as well.
I used Randy's glass towards Nikiski. Not sure if they can, worth asking!

*Deep breath of satisfaction*
The wipers are finally installed 😁😅

Interesting spur of the moment decision to wrap up the windshield post finishing the wipers, but I can't really describe the feeling of having a actual windshield...

Feels, like it's nearing road worthy. 😏
Who am I joking 🤣... So much more to do!

View attachment 3564940

View attachment 3564941
This looks great! I'm jealous. I've had to postpone much more paint on my own rig till the temps warm up a bit. New paint is so satisfying after all the work it took to get to that point.

She's looking good for just sitting there.

Few parts coming in from a mud member I'm looking forward to installing.

Parting out a 1st Gen Highlander in the shop, so unfortunately she's sitting for awhile.

20240313_174638.jpg

I have a set of rear hatch latches, and my wiper motor contact cover thanks @Akloml !

So figured it was time to remove the lock cylinder from the old heavily rusted rear hatch that has the same key code (aka matching keys 😏) and get ready to install into the transplant rear hatch that's in way better shape currently on my Mutt.

Took about an hour to work the cylinder free and get it fully operational. It was heavily seazed up due to the top being stored in the dirt, hatch down for unknown years.

Now to get a blank or cut TEQ key to replace my hand filed Chevy key. But, I can lock her up now, super nice 👌

20240317_064506.jpg

20240316_164946.jpg

Had to get the fancy striker plates and the lock cylinder installed for the rear hatch and we had 30+ degree weather, perfect weather for outside tinkering.

Before I installed the striker plates, had to fix the rear handle, and I pulled out an old cooler man write up for the repair.
It can be found here:

Saved the link a long time ago when I first started this project. I knew I was going to need it. Made some minor modifications to the template that's provided, and after functioning will likely modify some more when I disassemble everything for it's final go through. Rear hatch now locks, latches and opens 👌

20240317_135524.jpg

20240317_135541.jpg

20240317_140722.jpg

20240317_140731.jpg

20240317_151118.jpg

Did you ever come up with a final plan for acid dipping and galvanizing your frame using businesses in the state? I remember you were looking into it but places were closed due to Covid back then. I’ve been pondering what direction to take to salvage my frame as well and give it some protection and was curious if you had figured out any more information regarding the acid/galvanizing route. Keep up the great work! Spring is here!

Did you ever come up with a final plan for acid dipping and galvanizing your frame using businesses in the state? I remember you were looking into it but places were closed due to Covid back then. I’ve been pondering what direction to take to salvage my frame as well and give it some protection and was curious if you had figured out any more information regarding the acid/galvanizing route. Keep up the great work! Spring is here!
As far as I know, Alaska does not have a galvanization plant. We have such small scale industry up here it's never been a profitable venture. Now if the gas pipeline ever gets approved, someone will invest the millions needed to service that huge effort and build a plant up in FBKS most likely.

Wish I knew of an acid dipping place up here, but again, I'm not aware of any in my area.

Maybe FJ907Warrior has found a place with his research.

I haven't, wasn't able to find anyone at the time. @Aussie Alaskan covered the area as well it looks like.

I coated the frame during its assembly with POR15, but will likely do a full disassembly when I get my shop built on my lot next door and sandblast it then do a coating or two of por15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom