Aging my new bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The winch and bumper look fine. It's your ugly old roller fairlead that has you questioning things. If I were you, I would pull off that old roller fairlead and unspool that old steel cable, install a nice new hawse fairlead and spool on some synthetic winch rope. That way everything will look nice and new and it will be safer and more functional than what you've got.

Now that is a constructive idea!! Thx
Fairlead ordered any recommendations on cable brand/vendor?

Now that is a constructive idea!! Thx
Fairlead ordered any recommendations on cable brand/vendor?
If money is not an object get the Warn Synthetic cable. If you want to be more frugal, price shop Amsteel and Dyneema. Don't buy some cheap Chinese stuff though. Get a decent cable.

Fairlead replaced. Better?
In terms of

8EC95483-F4B0-4F4F-A048-5479BA0694C8.jpeg

If I were you, I would pull off that old roller fairlead and unspool that old steel cable, install a nice new hawse fairlead and spool on some synthetic winch rope. That way everything will look nice and new and it will be safer and more functional than what you've got.

I have no problem with steel cable. I see ton of old vehicles laying the Southwest on car haulers headed to the rust belt. What people will do is strip the interiors and used the one from a rust hulk. Rubber plastic and Synthetic do not hold up to the UV in the desert. Can't see spending the money on something that would rarely get used and then the expense or replacing so I would trust it. Worked a Government job which followed OHSA. Safety harnesses were required to be replaced ever five years. They base this off worse case scenario where like if it was be exposed to the elements. Have winches with over forty year old cables I still trust. Can't say I would trust a synthetic line that old that been out in the UV. I admit synthetic is easier to use just not worth the cost for me in the desert. Rust belt would be another story like the Windy City where the OP is from.

Take it off, dragit behind your 40 face down for one mile ona dirt road, then reinstall it. Good to go.

more pics. I’m not buying that claim.
This is after soaking meguires 7 for 24 hours. I then used Clay bar and machine polish after this step. I have also done other vehicles w clay bar meguires 7 then carnuba

79F13937-AC57-4906-8FEE-44B9E2B6EACA.jpeg

0DCFE5E4-C82E-4CB3-9C5A-5BB05063ADAE.jpeg

This is after soaking meguires 7 for 24 hours. I then used Clay bar and machine polish after this step. I have also done other vehicles w clay bar meguires 7 then carnuba

View attachment 2211200

View attachment 2211201

View attachment 2211200

View attachment 2211201
[

Since I’m showing off here is a underhood shot in the early phases of the process

D8B6A8B2-8277-470B-82A2-9C87724A029D.jpeg

Good job! And to me it appears to be a legit original paint.👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom