Year help on my new BJ40 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought my first Landcruiser. I am sure this is a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway. I am trying to figure out exactly what I have. It was listed as a 1979 but There are multiple vins/identifiers on the rig. Can anyone help me to figure it out?

It was imported from Canada last year by the guy I bought it from. I am pretty sure it is a frankenstein rig, but for parts I figure I need to know what I have :

The canadian vin was JT3BJ42C2E0006463. Which is a 1984.

One plate says BJ40-033741 (This would place it as March 1965 per this post Pre-1980 FJ40 VIN Information - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pre-1980-fj40-vin-information.755288/post-8680150)

On firewall of engine it says Model BJ40LV-KCJK (which says March 1978-July 1980 per Toyota Land Cruiser - BJ40LV-KCJK complectation - Auto parts - https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/bj40lv/3674/?color=309&trim=LP11)

The engine is a 3B Diesel Engine with a giant 3B cast into the block (1981-84 era?). but the firewall plate says it is a B engine. PRetty sure the engine was swapped at some time before coming to the USA.

Is there a good guide out there to know what is what or which parts are interchangable between years? How do i decide which date takes precedence?

Pics please?

Just bought my first Landcruiser. I am sure this is a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway. I am trying to figure out exactly what I have. It was listed as a 1979 but There are multiple vins/identifiers on the rig. Can anyone help me to figure it out?

It was imported from Canada last year by the guy I bought it from. I am pretty sure it is a frankenstein rig, but for parts I figure I need to know what I have :

One plate says BJ40-033741 (This would place it as March 1965 per this post Pre-1980 FJ40 VIN Information - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pre-1980-fj40-vin-information.755288/post-8680150)

On firewall of engine it says Model BJ40LV-KCJK (which says March 1978-July 1980 per Toyota Land Cruiser - BJ40LV-KCJK complectation - Auto parts - https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/bj40lv/3674/?color=309&trim=LP11)

The engine is a 3B Diesel Engine with a giant 3B cast into the block (1981-84 era?). but the firewall plate says it is a B engine. PRetty sure the engine was swapped at some time before coming to the USA.

Is there a good guide out there to know what is what or which parts are interchangable between years? How do i decide which date takes precedence?
Pics or it didn't happen
This is where the fun begins
Frame/body/drivetrain all different
Registered 84
So no pressure, have fun making it work.
I keep a file on my 74 with all receipts/pics/notes. Added a partial FSM to my Haynes for the 83 fj60 knuckles.
I think SOR has all the manuals and sells partials.
i think you can get seperate manuals for body/ chassis or drivetrain.
You could have a 65 body on a 70s frame and an 84 driveline or some such combo.
So, homework! Lol
Have fun, is just a rusty old truck🤗

I have a 72 ragtop wearing a 76 hardtop. Rochester 2bbl, delco dizzy, maybe a 2F and other non stock stuff that came when I bought it in 82. Get a dedicated note book and a pic file for your computer/phone. Fill in everything that you find out as you discover it. Cross reference part #' with on-line catalogs, the ones with pic's really help with ID'ing stuff.

Good luck on the adventure.

What side is top rad hose on?

I have a 72 ragtop wearing a 76 hardtop. Rochester 2bbl, delco dizzy, maybe a 2F and other non stock stuff that came when I bought it in 82. Get a dedicated note book and a pic file for your computer/phone. Fill in everything that you find out as you discover it. Cross reference part #' with on-line catalogs, the ones with pic's really help with ID'ing stuff.

Good luck on the adventure.
Are there some good on-line catalogs that you recommend?

Pics please?

Full-rear-outside.jpg

EngineTopside.jpg

Front.jpg

InstrumentsDash.jpg

ControlsInside.jpg

Pics or it didn't happen
This is where the fun begins
Frame/body/drivetrain all different
Registered 84
So no pressure, have fun making it work.
I keep a file on my 74 with all receipts/pics/notes. Added a partial FSM to my Haynes for the 83 fj60 knuckles.
I think SOR has all the manuals and sells partials.
i think you can get seperate manuals for body/ chassis or drivetrain.
You could have a 65 body on a 70s frame and an 84 driveline or some such combo.
So, homework! Lol
Have fun, is just a rusty old truck🤗

Pass-Mid.jpg

PassFront.jpg

DriverSideFronttoRear.jpg

EngineTopnoradiator.jpg

First BJ40 is introduced in 1974, so that´s not right. What´s the VIN number stamped on the frame?

Dash is not 1984, more like 80-82, as the bezel too. How´s the frame, Ø 25 or 35 mm spring ends, 1 or 2 bolts in the solid end spring pin? So small pictures that I can´t see.

First BJ40 is introduced in 1974, so that´s not right. What´s the VIN number stamped on the frame?

Dash is not 1984, more like 80-82, as the bezel too. How´s the frame, Ø 25 or 35 mm spring ends, 1 or 2 bolts in the solid end spring pin? So small pictures that I can´t see.
It will be a week before i can check on the spring ends, daughter is getting married and life is full on this end until the wedding finishes in a few days. thanks for the input. What would the various 25 or 35 mm ends signify and the 1 or 2 bolts?

Not familiar with the diesel 40 series but based on the BJ series using the same transmission housing as the FJ and HJ series have to think the crossmember used on the BJ changed 8/80 to match the FJ and HJ series. They started using a rear crossmember under the transmission. Believe pre 8/80 the BJ40 used a crossmember under the bell housing.

It will be a week before i can check on the spring ends, daughter is getting married and life is full on this end until the wedding finishes in a few days. thanks for the input. What would the various 25 or 35 mm ends signify and the 1 or 2 bolts?
So I got a better picture on the fixed end from my dad. The vehicle is in CO until i can get it hauled up, and I am in WA. He also measured it at 25mm and 1 bolt. Here is the picture.
IMG_3076.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom