99 miles to the new sty! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you’ve verified that the motor works, but now unconfirmed about the circuit coming from the dash switch? IIRC, the circuit passes through a relay AND a circuit breaker before heading to the tailgate.
This sounds correct!

Yes, the motor works by using the key but not from the remote /dash switch. So given the tailgate key switch works (operates the motor) and passes through both the relay and circuit breaker. its either the wire feeding the dash switch or the dash switch itself?

I’d say yes. Check voltage at the switch on both sides, and then circuit breaker and relay, and so on until you know you have voltage from the switch to the tailgate.
These both sound reasonable.

I don’t know how much this will help you - I have a partial schematic pic for my 77 that shows the circuit. White wire with lavender stripe going to the circuit breaker.

View attachment 3564261
It looks like 12v coming into the relay from the turn signal circuit.
I’ll post a better pic for the 72 year circuit when I get home later.
Is it me, or are they only labeling the switches as capable of going UP?
Or is the ON position = DOWN?

EDIT - Earlier manuals clearly label the switches DN and UP. This one ^^^ looks to me like "ON".

Lost in translation?

Last edited:
Thanks! I think @PabloCruise posted the schematics of an earlier model in the Gary S window thread plus, I have the FSM right here. Still not easy to figure it out...I am trying 😏
This is a good thread for wiring diagrams:

yes. 3 wires. bY has power going into the relay but no voltage out to what connects to the solid blue wire to
the switch
Darn!
And you are hooking it up correctly?
Just asking! 2 bad components in a row make me ask...

So you are saying you pulled power from the junction block in the tailgate when testing the dash switch?
I'll test the switch too but the issue is getting power to the switch from the relay at the dash. 12v into the relay but nothing on the other side of the relay -> switch

Last edited:
Relays usually have a ground wire going in. The mechanics behind a three wire relay (two hots going in and one hot going out) don’t quite compute unless it grounds through the housing.(?)
ahh ok. so now I see a potential issue. The BY and black wires -> current going in but the body of the relay also needs to be grounded?I was testing the new (used one) just hanging , no ground. Let me try that....

Relays usually have a ground wire going in. The mechanics behind a three wire relay (two hots going in and one hot going out) don’t quite compute unless it grounds through the housing.(?)

I don’t know that for a fact, just hypothesizing
you are in fact correct! Thank you!!!!

@RUSH55 your idea with the ground

I can get the mechanism to move now from the dash but not using switch, only by touching the wires together.

mechanism operating

who has a switch?? 🤞

So now the switch isn’t working?
After tinkering with it ,I saw some movement using the switch. The issue is the old connecters not providing a solid connection. I can get it to work now with jumpers and a few alligator clips although moves somewhat slow.. it moves in both directions

Last edited:
After tinkering with it ,I saw some movement using the switch. The issue is the old connecters not providing a solid connection. I can get it wot work now with jumpers and a few alligator clips although moves somewhat slow.. it moves in both directions
Well, at least we’ve made some progress 👍🏼

Next challenge is getting the tailgate to open 😏 I assume it haven't been opened in several decades.

Thanks fya'll or all the help on Part 1 of the rear window. 🙏
PUSH on the tailgate while trying the handle!

Or better release the rods from inside…

👍🏻

Thanks @Ol Yeller Lil Elbow grease and assistance from my son and BOOM! Open tailgate!
Looks like the PO already dealt w/ the safety switch🤣
Great end to my weekend:)

no longer safety switch.jpg
open tailgate.jpg

😎🙌🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom