8x Series V8 Swaps (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But how are you guys handling the evap system?
Best thing you can do is mimic the donors set up....
The fuel pressure,fuel regulator, and fuel level are all part of the gm fuel pump module...
You can either implement the last three items in various ways, or you can modify your fuel tank to take a gm fuel pump....
Many ways to skin the cat on this one....
If CO really implemented the CARB in its entirety then be ready for them to look at your PCM to see if it has been altered (re-flashed) in any way......!!
Good luck...!!

I am working with PSI on the wiring and computer programming and they need tire size and gear ratio. So, I need to figure out what ratio I want now. Did you do a calc with a 6l80/90? What gear ratio are you using and tire size, and are you happy?
I looked at several other 6L80E swaps and ran the gear calculations as well. If memory serves me correctly, the stock 4.10 gearing and running 37" tires would yield almost the same effective gearing as the stock Yukon Denali donor I had. I gave PSI all the parameters for the tires, gear ratio, etc...when they built the harness and reflashed the ECM and TCM.

I can't offer any insight to the second part, as my swap is still underway. I'm planning on running the OEM 4.10's in the truck with 35" tires. It may be a tad bit short on gear (too low numerically), but I'm willing to try it out and see before investing in new R&P gearing.

Edit: Here's a calculator you can use to try different combos. FYI - sixth gear ratio in a 6L80E is .67

Last edited:
I looked at several other 6L80E swaps and ran the gear calculations as well. If memory serves me correctly, the stock 4.10 gearing and running 37" tires would yield almost the same effective gearing as the stock Yukon Denali donor I had. I gave PSI all the parameters for the tires, gear ratio, etc...when they built the harness and reflashed the ECM and TCM.

I can't offer any insight to the second part, as my swap is still underway. I'm planning on running the OEM 4.10's in the truck with 35" tires. It may be a tad bit short on gear (too low numerically), but I'm willing to try it out and see before investing in new R&P gearing.

Edit: Here's a calculator you can use to try different combos. FYI - sixth gear ratio in a 6L80E is .67
Great info.

What rpm do you target at cruising highway speeds at 75mph? Online people are saying 1800-2200 RPM is good target.
I currently have 4.56 gears, but can swap in 4.11 or lower if needed.

1611694275862.png

Great info.

What rpm do you target at cruising highway speeds at 75mph?

With 35's and the stock 4.10 gearing, that should net 1,975 RPM at 75MPH in 6th gear. That's assuming they are a true 35" tire. Might be a few RPM higher as most 35's are between 34" and 35".

So I talked to a few exhaust shops yesterday, and they reminded me that Colorado, as of 1 January, just adopted the entirety of the California emissions standards. Which means that you have to use the Uber expensive (and in limited supply) catalytic converters, and they won't work on it without the downstream O2 sensors. I figure I can pull the O2 wires & connectors from the donor harness - shouldn't be to big a deal.

But how are you guys handling the evap system? I retained the charcoal canister and pulled the purge valve wires from the old harness (PSI harness didn't have it). But what about the other stuff - fuel tank pressure, level, vent solenoid? As I understand it, that stuff will be needed for the inspection.

Components and harness for that stuff is long gone with donor carcass ... and not sure how you'd integrate it with the Toyota fuel system even if I had it.
Pretty sure it’s just sales of cats at the moment. They need to be CARB compliant now.
Isn’t El Dorado county non emissions?

So I talked to a few exhaust shops yesterday, and they reminded me that Colorado, as of 1 January, just adopted the entirety of the California emissions standards. Which means that you have to use the Uber expensive (and in limited supply) catalytic converters, and they won't work on it without the downstream O2 sensors. I figure I can pull the O2 wires & connectors from the donor harness - shouldn't be to big a deal.

But how are you guys handling the evap system? I retained the charcoal canister and pulled the purge valve wires from the old harness (PSI harness didn't have it). But what about the other stuff - fuel tank pressure, level, vent solenoid? As I understand it, that stuff will be needed for the inspection.

Components and harness for that stuff is long gone with donor carcass ... and not sure how you'd integrate it with the Toyota fuel system even if I had it.
You would have to talk to a emissions testing facility referee. Exhaust shop won't know the most accurate information. Before I added all the emissions on my swap I called the referee and asked him what they wanted.

Pretty sure it’s just sales of cats at the moment. They need to be CARB compliant now.
Isn’t El Dorado county non emissions?

El Paso county (Colorado Springs), but yea we haven't had testing for years.

The catalytic converter sales & installation stuff is certainly in effect now. The guys I talked to yesterday indicated that the full California emissions regime is coming, including testing everywhere in the state - probably starting in 2022. I've been reading and searching - found this: https://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/GenerateRulePdf.do?ruleVersionId=8252

Which includes this:

This Regulation Number 20 incorporates by Reference the following California Code of Regulations, Title 13, Sections 1961.2, 1961.3, 1962.2, 1962.3, 1900, 1956.8(h), 1965, 1968.2, 1976, 1978, 2035, 2037 through 2041, 2046, 2062, 2109, 2111 through 2121, 2122 through 2135, 2139, 2141 through 2149, and 2222(h)and (i), identified in the following table.

Among those are emissions standards and test procedures. But I haven't found anything yet about implementation timelines, enforcement details, etc. So maybe I'm jumping the gun about the stuff other then the catalytic converters. Still looking...

This is why you're not supposed to let too many Californian's move to your state. They bring their laws with them. :worms:

This is why you're not supposed to let too many Californian's move to your state. They bring their laws with them. :worms:
just ordered a custom tee that says "Don't Californicate My Florida" apparently someone has already done the "Don't New York My Florida'

Greetings all. I've read this thread front to back and really admire the craftsmanship and ingenuity that has gone into these builds. I'm in the process of gathering parts and will be heading down the LS transplant path in the very near future.
The recipient Cruiser is a 1991 FJ80 with a 3FE and 265K miles on it. Truck has an OME 2.5" lift already installed and 35's. I've acquired an entire 2007 GMC Yukon Denali with reasonable miles for the powertrain. It has the L92 and 6L80E trans in it. The plan is to go with a PSI stand alone harness with ECM and TCM tune. Marks adapter to the HF2A transfer case in the stock position.
Concerns:
  • If anyone has kept notes on what wiring can be successfully gutted on the 1991-1992 FJ80, I'd love to hear from you. Got EWD's for the truck but sorting through diagrams is not my forte. Looks as though everything going to the ECU can pretty much go, but want to make sure.
  • Can anyone with a 6L80E chime in on how to get reverse lights to work?
Looking forward to diving into this!
Haven't seen a reply to this but I did stumble on a potential solution from Speartech.

6L80 / 6L90 Reverse Light CAN Relay Kit (speartech.com)

Haven't seen a reply to this but I did stumble on a potential solution from Speartech.

6L80 / 6L90 Reverse Light CAN Relay Kit (speartech.com)
Thanks for that link. Saw a similar one at Zero Gravity when I started to dig into that question:

Seems a bit steep for something that picks up a canbus signal and sends it to a relay. I'm no electrical engineer, so I'll probably buckle and buy one regardless. Better than rigging up some janky limit switches on the trans linkage. :meh:

This one looked like a pretty clean installation too:

Ok, got the exhaust done by a local shop. It's beautiful, practically a work of art. But I think I'm going to take it back on Monday and have them try again, cuz I think 1/4" clearance between the catalytic converter and the fuel line is just to close.

A piece of quarter inch steel touches both sides sliding it in between. I don't think a heat shield is enough, but even so, I doubt I could make one to wrap around up there without rattling against one side or the other.
IMG_20210206_131703.jpg

You may have inadvertently deleted the power wire to the speed sensor on the T-case. I did it on my swap -also a OBD1 OBD1 fzj80.
Exactly right. For some reason the hot wire between pin 5 of IH1 and pin 3 of EC1 just ended about 15" upstream of EC1. Nicely taped off and all. And a few inches of wire left on EC1. There must have been a junction in there going off to something no longer needed that got cut out ... but I didn't make the connection that it still had to go through to EC1.

Edit - junction that got cut out was E6 on the transmission and CDL wiring diagrams - also went to the transmission shift indicator and the L4 position switch. Looks like the L4 position switch only went to the Toyota transmission ECU and the famous pin 7 on the CDL relay.

Last edited:
Exactly right. For some reason the hot wire between pin 5 of IH1 and pin 3 of EC1 just ended about 15" upstream of EC1. Nicely taped off and all. And a few inches of wire left on EC1. There must have been a junction in there going off to something no longer needed that got cut out ... but I didn't make the connection that it still had to go through to EC1.

Edit - junction that got cut out was E6 on the transmission and CDL wiring diagrams - also went to the transmission shift indicator and the L4 position switch. Looks like the L4 position switch only went to the Toyota transmission ECU and the famous pin 7 on the CDL relay.
Yup, that was me 3 years ago! Haha

If you're using a Holley Terminator X Max with your 4l80e that came from a 4wd truck, you'll need to have a reluctor wheel and vehicle speed sensor installed, which involves completely disassembling the transmission. I'm having it done at a transmission shop with a ballpark cost (if they don't find anything else to worry about) in the $200-300 range. More detail here on my build thread:

What’s the thread and size specification of the hard fuel line to rubber line fitting on the stock 80? This one:
[edit: under the hood just under the brake master cylinder]
1612836071374.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that the feed line located above the tank? You going to reuse the hardlines?

Whoops, I intended to specify that. I edited the post. It's on the driver's side inner fender under the brake master cylinder. A rubber line goes from here to the banjo on the fuel filter.

Whoops, I intended to specify that. I edited the post. It's on the driver's side inner fender under the brake master cylinder. A rubber line goes from here to the banjo on the fuel filter.
I knew it was one of those two. Looked a lot like the dust collection typically on the tank. I did know at one point. I think @eplazajennings V8 build thread mentioned it. I seem to remember him using the hard lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom