8x Series V8 Swaps (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Headed down another rabbit hole and putting a Gen 4 engine with 6l90 transmission that I pulled from Donor truck. This is a VVT engine.

First time LS swap for me, so I am looking for advice on what to do from here.

1. should I get a standalone harness? If so, preferred vendor?

2. reprogram computer?

3. what do i do to get rid of VVT?

4. what else should I do to get it ready to slide in?

5. I can Pull the gas pedal computer from donor rig and I found a shifter from Pace Performance. What else do I need?

Thanks,

VVT usually isn't a huge issue and a positive to keep in my book. If your donor has AFM/ DOD I'd definitely delete that since there's a bunch of data suggesting it causes premature lifter failure. Plenty of kits available to delete AFM, but it's an involved process.

Headed down another rabbit hole and putting a Gen 4 engine with 6l90 transmission that I pulled from Donor truck. This is a VVT engine.

2. reprogram computer?

5. I can Pull the gas pedal computer from donor rig and I found a shifter from Pace Performance. What else do I need?

Thanks,
I'm in the process of swapping a Gen IV L92 with 6L80E into an 80 as well. Here's the direction I'm headed, with some links. Lots of options though...

#1 & #2 - Decided it was easiest to get a stand alone harness to run the engine and trans. The 6L80/90E has an internal transmission control module (TCM). The TCM and the ECM both need to be sent out to be reprogrammed to run stand alone (and to remove VATS system from ECM). I used PSI in Brick, NJ for the harness and reprogramming. Great bunch of guys and they were super helpful answering a bunch of my questions.

#3 - I'm keeping VVT, only one extra wire in the harness and same cost.

#4 - What adapter are you using to go from the 6L90 to your t-case? I think the 6L90E presents an issue with the longer overall length. Might require driveshaft mods.

#5 - Went with a corvette pedal. They're around $100 new and can easily be modified to fit. Also plug and play for the Gen IV harness from PSI.

Good luck...This gets expensive fast!

Here is a pirate thread on vvt. Consensus is it's a good idea to keep it if you can. Looks like mast motorsports would be good to call.

When doing a Ls swap you will need a couple different types of power. Key off, key on, key on and start. Cutting down your own harness from a factory harness will be the cleanest because u can customize wire lengths. Get your cruisers wiring diagram and the donor diagram. Then make your own LS swap wiring diagram for your cruiser. Once that's done everything else will go fast.

There is a sensor behind the water pump that should be replaced when keeping vvt. Most are clogged up from sludge, lack of oil changes and can cause it to go into limp mode. One of the U4 racers had that happen on his. I put a new one in when I did my swap and have had no issues in the past 6 years of hard racing and abuse. I can not remember the name of the part and the harness but I am sure it was sub $100. VVT sensor??? Good insurance.

I'm in the process of swapping a Gen IV L92 with 6L80E into an 80 as well. Here's the direction I'm headed, with some links. Lots of options though...

#1 & #2 - Decided it was easiest to get a stand alone harness to run the engine and trans. The 6L80/90E has an internal transmission control module (TCM). The TCM and the ECM both need to be sent out to be reprogrammed to run stand alone (and to remove VATS system from ECM). I used PSI in Brick, NJ for the harness and reprogramming. Great bunch of guys and they were super helpful answering a bunch of my questions.

#4 - What adapter are you using to go from the 6L90 to your t-case? I think the 6L90E presents an issue with the longer overall length. Might require driveshaft mods.

#5 - Went with a corvette pedal. They're around $100 new and can easily be modified to fit. Also plug and play for the Gen IV harness from PSI.

Great information... So the VVT stays! I have talked to PSI and they are great. I just "thought" since I had the stock harness, I could use it, but can't find a good guide to adapt it and way too lazy to track it all down and troubleshoot. I found a Jeep conversion harness that looked very cool, but I did not find anything similar out there.

I am using an advanced adapters as I am going to mate with a split case. (putting in 70 series LC) It is quite short --if I recall 5" . But I have to get the output shaft changed to a 2wd.

50-9612: GM 6L80 to Toyota Land Cruiser 19 Spline Transfer Case | Advance Adapters - https://www.advanceadapters.com/products/50-9612-gm-6l80-to-toyota-land-cruiser-19-spline-transfer-case/

2. reprogram computer?

Thanks,
here you can find all information about wiring with diagrams so you can make your own harness if you have original harness it is pretty easy to put it together all you do is pull extra wires install 4 fuses and all done read the web site you will find all answers also you can use that website to program your ECU let them know what you want Wiring Harness Information - https://lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm

VVT cant stay but dod definitely you want to pull out
gas pedal uses 5 wires and it is part off engine ECU i used 2007 donor truck but gas pedal did not work so i just swapped pedal with pedal from 2005 Colorado and used case and control board from 2007 Silverado check mild 2007 5.3L ls in 1991 80 series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2007-5-3l-ls-in-1991-80-series.1017004/

if you r not so good with wiring and you get standalone harness just remember you will have more problems to figure out wires from gm to Toyota harness than make your own gm harness

if you r not so good with wiring and you get standalone harness just remember you will have more problems to figure out wires from gm to Toyota harness than make your own gm harness

Good info there again. I have L96 and it is not a DOD engine! Yeah some good news for once.

Can you expand on this comment above? My plan would be to keep the Toyota harness for everything on front of car except engine. Given that, I assume these wires need to come from GM harness and go to the car....

Ignition power to harness/computer
Starter wire
tach
oil pressure
water temp
alternator power?

keep GM, but wiring going into the cab:

gas pedal
can we keep cruise control somehow?
gear indicator ??

I have no fear when it comes to wiring, made some harnesses from scratch, neutered FZJ80 harness engine to stand alone, etc, but troubleshooting when something does not work is what I hate.

Good info there again. I have L96 and it is not a DOD engine! Yeah some good news for once.

Can you expand on this comment above? My plan would be to keep the Toyota harness for everything on front of car except engine. Given that, I assume these wires need to come from GM harness and go to the car....

Ignition power to harness/computer
Starter wire
tach
oil pressure
water temp
alternator power?

keep GM, but wiring going into the cab:

gas pedal
can we keep cruise control somehow?
gear indicator ??

I have no fear when it comes to wiring, made some harnesses from scratch, neutered FZJ80 harness engine to stand alone, etc, but troubleshooting when something does not work is what I hate.
i used toyota power wire for ECU also used toyota starter wire to gm starter oil pressure sensor will need to be added to GM oil pan or make adapter to fit it to gm oem spot
temp sensor can be machined to fit in gm hole i m using double sensors gm and toyota if you want cruise you m must use GM goody control module to wire it otherwise you can use after market cruise control like i did
gear indicator i taped in GM transmission harness ...

Just recvd my Blackstone report back. Was both excited and nervous since you never quite know what to expect......

Anyway, it seems like whatever I’m doing to the LS in terms of maintenance and ‘feeding’, I’m doing it right. Relief !!!!!

FCE77661-DE8B-40AA-9B2C-65E6841B114B.jpeg

First drive this past weekend!

07 Silverado Gen 3 5.3L, 4L60, PSI harness, summit racing truck cam, electric fans

No exhaust yet - just enough pipe to hold an O2 sensor and get below the frame rails.

A few issues of course. Tach isn't working (because I forgot to hook it up - was to excited about fixing the rest of my Dakota Digital issues). Speedo isn't working, which is strange, since nothing changed there. A few codes related to stuff that isn't there any more (evap system pressure, vent valve, fuel level sensor, 2nd O2 sensor) that I'll get my ECU guy to turn off. I've only seen one fan run, but haven't gotten it hot enough for the second to come in yet, so will be watching that.

Was throwing P0300 - random, multiple cylinder misfire
I saw one possible cause (among some scary & expensive ones) is bad fuel. Existing fuel was almost empty and about 20+ months old. So I put some fresh gas in it and cleared the codes. Drove it some more and it hasn't come back yet, so fingers crossed! Idle is better too.

One thing that may be of interest - I did some testing on the Toyota & GM coolant temperature sensors and saw they read similarly at operating temp. So I didn't adapt the Toyota sensor, I just put a second GM sensor in the other head. Unmodified stock gauge reads just above the halfway mark when warmed up. The response curve for the GM sensor is steeper, so that may help with the notoriously sluggish stock gauge.

It pulls good! Will hopefully get it down to the exhaust shop this week.

Thanks for the help and answering all my stupid questions!

First drive this past weekend!

07 Silverado Gen 3 5.3L, 4L60, PSI harness, summit racing truck cam, electric fans

No exhaust yet - just enough pipe to hold an O2 sensor and get below the frame rails.

A few issues of course. Tach isn't working (because I forgot to hook it up - was to excited about fixing the rest of my Dakota Digital issues). Speedo isn't working, which is strange, since nothing changed there. A few codes related to stuff that isn't there any more (evap system pressure, vent valve, fuel level sensor, 2nd O2 sensor) that I'll get my ECU guy to turn off. I've only seen one fan run, but haven't gotten it hot enough for the second to come in yet, so will be watching that.

Was throwing P0300 - random, multiple cylinder misfire
I saw one possible cause (among some scary & expensive ones) is bad fuel. Existing fuel was almost empty and about 20+ months old. So I put some fresh gas in it and cleared the codes. Drove it some more and it hasn't come back yet, so fingers crossed! Idle is better too.

One thing that may be of interest - I did some testing on the Toyota & GM coolant temperature sensors and saw they read similarly at operating temp. So I didn't adapt the Toyota sensor, I just put a second GM sensor in the other head. Unmodified stock gauge reads just above the halfway mark when warmed up. The response curve for the GM sensor is steeper, so that may help with the notoriously sluggish stock gauge.

It pulls good! Will hopefully get it down to the exhaust shop this week.

Thanks for the help and answering all my stupid questions!

You may have inadvertently deleted the power wire to the speed sensor on the T-case. I did it on my swap -also a OBD1 OBD1 fzj80.

You may have inadvertently deleted the power wire to the speed sensor on the T-case. I did it on my swap -also a OBD1 OBD1 fzj80.

Thanks - sounds like a good place to start looking.

Thanks - sounds like a good place to start looking.
IIRC, I had left the portion that is on the trans/t-case side of the harness, but accidentally deleted the (+) part that would have been on the engine side of the harness.

I am working with PSI on the wiring and computer programming and they need tire size and gear ratio. So, I need to figure out what ratio I want now. Did you do a calc with a 6l80/90? What gear ratio are you using and tire size, and are you happy?

So I talked to a few exhaust shops yesterday, and they reminded me that Colorado, as of 1 January, just adopted the entirety of the California emissions standards. Which means that you have to use the Uber expensive (and in limited supply) catalytic converters, and they won't work on it without the downstream O2 sensors. I figure I can pull the O2 wires & connectors from the donor harness - shouldn't be to big a deal.

But how are you guys handling the evap system? I retained the charcoal canister and pulled the purge valve wires from the old harness (PSI harness didn't have it). But what about the other stuff - fuel tank pressure, level, vent solenoid? As I understand it, that stuff will be needed for the inspection.

Components and harness for that stuff is long gone with donor carcass ... and not sure how you'd integrate it with the Toyota fuel system even if I had it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom