83 FJ40, Oil Pan plug leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim S.

SILVER Star
Threads
Reinstalled the oil pan last spring and basically parked the truck. Been driving it a bit and it started to leak. replaced the crush washer and leaks just sitting there. Im talking puddles not a drop or two. Would O-rings help? Double up the washer?? Looking for ideas..
Thanks, Jim

Are you sure it’s coming from the drain plug?

Mine sprung a leak from the spot welds on the skid plate…. Pretty messy…

It appears to be the plug. It's right at the rear edge of the skid plate below the plug. I hadn't thought of the spot welds. Will check tomorrow.
Thanks Rocky

Cut a washer from soft lead. You can just pour some melted lead (<1000F) on something clean and dry like a paper plate. If you don't over heat the lead it will make about 1/8" thick disk. You can pound on it lightly with a flat face hammer, against a flat hard surface to thin it out if needed. With just a pocket knife you can easily cut the hole to fit your drain plug. Lead will seal very well at low torque.

Check your thread too - they easily get stripped out and then they don't hold well. Easy job to helicoil if needed.

Time for a new pan. Be glad you can still buy them for <$250

I had an issue, could not see it, microcrack that pan replacement would fix. It happens..

Time for a new pan. Be glad you can still buy them for <$250

The aftermath of cracks in the welds…New Pan @250$ 👍.

Silver lining…You get to inspect your lower end while the pans off.

6F490D45-F4FF-4DB8-AD93-28122E4F0CA0.jpeg

This is going to sound absolutely insane, but if you need to check just the drain plug, attach a shop vac to the oil fill, turn it on and it will alllw you to swap the drain plug gasket without dumping your oil. But more than likely the spot welds…

This is going to sound absolutely insane, but if you need to check just the drain plug, attach a shop vac to the oil fill, turn it on and it will alllw you to swap the drain plug gasket without dumping your oil. But more than likely the spot welds…

I gotta try that just to say I did..🙄

Took another look and it's seeping from under the skid plate. New oil pan and gasket on the way. I'm feeling my age doing this concrete yoga. Thanks fellas for the input, I wasn't thinking of faulty spot welds. I don't think it's cracked as I refurbished the pan before installing it. I'll know for sure when I remove it.

Mine is definitely around the plug.

The pan looks almost kinda slightly warped, and am thinking the PO way over tightened the plug probably...

I use Permatex gasket goo on it, with the fiber washer (new one every time). Jack it up with the plug out to drain the last little bit and lower it to stop the dripping and keep oil off it while the goo sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom