Oil pan gasket fitment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m dry fitting my oil pan gasket and it seems like there’s too much of a gap here. I’ve tried flattening out the flange but I’m not getting it much better than this at the moment. I’m assuming I shouldn’t install it this way and keep working on flattening the flange, right? Or, will tightening the pan up take out this gap?

IMG_0941.jpeg

I would try and make it flatter. Forming metal is easier on end grain wood. Having a helper to hold pan while you run the hammer and punch is much easier.
I got it a little flatter but there’s a crack starting to form on the lip of the flange, so I don’t think I’m going to push my luck much further.

Your pan is definitely deformed, it's supposed to be flat across that leading and trailing edge. That bump is going to try and force that corner in an already precarious spot. I'd beat it flat and weld any cracks that form.

Not a great shot of a new pan but you can see the flats somewhat

1711230960137.png

Even brand new pans regularly need a bit of shaping to fit correctly.

That pan has been deformed by overtightening the mounting bolts or maybe prying for clearance, etc. Turn the pan upside down on a flat surface and press the flanges flat into a true right angle. Yes, you will get cracking but nothing a competent welder can't fix with a small bead. The weld will pull a small amount in the opposite direction as it cools but generally not so much as to create a problem. Example:

Oil Pan WELDED.JPG

Also, hang the flange on the edge of a flat bench and tap the areas around the bolt holes back into a flat plane. Years of overtightening will probably have deformed the areas around the holes and the pan will not seal up correctly. You want to be able to sight down the pan rail and not see any proud areas.

You might consider pre-gluing the ends of the pan. Others have done it and I copied them. No leaks!

Oil Pan GASKET CLAMPS.JPG

Oil Pan Install: ih8mud
ih8mud.com/tech/oilpan.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom