Oil galley casting plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1981 2F. Turns out part # 11431B, new part # 90330-24013 oil galley plugs are no longer available. Anyone do a rebuild lately and what did you do about this? I’ve ordered the 1985-later 2F threaded version to see if those will work. If not it looks like I could step up to a larger size and use any threaded plug. Points being:
1. I’m not opposed to tapping the block to put in a threaded plug as it is likely a safer option anyway and there’s plenty of room to do this without interfering with oil flow but…
2. Before I go drilling into the block, I’d like to know how other people approached this. A plug failure here would be catastrophic so I’m not willing to risk using an aftermarket product of unknown origin.

Any advice is appreciated. BTW, already tapped and plugged that tiny drilled hole in the head that can fail and cause you to lose all your oil. Thanks to the folks in this website for tipping me off to that failure point.

This has been covered a million times. A quick google search yields that the reliable fix is a tapped hole and plug.

M8x1.25 set screw in 10/12mm length and a quick drill/tap with oil resistant RTV on threads and you’re done.

IMG_7088.jpeg

IMG_7048.jpeg

This has been covered a million times. A quick google search yields that the reliable fix is a tapped hole and plug.

M8x1.25 set screw in 10/12mm length and a quick drill/tap with oil resistant RTV on threads and you’re done.

View attachment 3553429

View attachment 3553430
Yes, I did that one already. I’m asking about the oil galley plugs on the front and back of the block.

Freeze, or Welch, plugs

Yes, I did that one already. I’m asking about the oil galley plugs on the front and back of the block.
Sorry about that - skimmed over most of it and assumed. Since the bellhousing blocks that plug from falling out, a replacement welch plug is sufficient but if it's an empty block, I'd also recommend tapping the block for the later plug. I'm assuming the threaded plug is what you ordered, 90344-54003

1707423054554.png

Last edited:
Closing the loop on this. I ended up buying a set of the threaded plugs that go in the 11/84 and later 2F engines. They are shallow enough to avoid interference with the internal oil ports and large enough in diameter to allow the block to be tapped for this plug. Overkill but whatever; I’m only doing this once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom