1977 Fj40-Leaking Fuel Pump Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

Need some help, been chasing an oil leak. I thought I had it by replacing the following:
-Oil filter housing to block gasket
-Fuel pump to block gasket

At low speeds (up to 50mph) I have min. oil leak, almost not noticeable. But at fwy speeds, the oil amount that leaks is all over the place, see pic. As you can see the oil is all on the ground and all over the front axle. The leak is all on top of the axle and the front motor mount. You can see it on the 2nd pic as the where the oil is spraying.

I am thinking the oil is leaking out of the weep holes of the fuel pump. The fuel pump is original 77, so its got a few decades on it.

Have you guys ever had experience with oil and the fuel pump on a 2F?
Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 6.38.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 6.38.26 PM.png

Got any flat bar stock steel handy? Make a fuel pump block off plate and put on a $15 ebay electric fuel pump. Look around that area of the block for cracks in the bolt holes and in the corners of the opening. See if your oil leakage goes down or away in that area. You might consider an oil dye uv light test.

My rear main seal leaks and so does the valve cover.

Could also be from the side cover behind your dizzy. I would check for an oil leak there.

are you making oil?
usually gas will enter the crank case, diluting the oil and raisng the level

Could also be from the side cover behind your dizzy. I would check for an oil leak there.
Not leaking from there, checked the whole perimeter
are you making oil?
usually gas will enter the crank case, diluting the oil and raisng the level
No gas in oil. Just major oil leak. I have been checking the oil and no issues there with oil/gas. Just missing gas.

There is a seal to keep oil in the engine and not in the bottom of the pump. When that seal fails it creates a the leak you are experiencing. Replace the pump. With an OEM style mechanical unit. Not a cheap electrical POS. Be aware that if you use a later style mech pump, you will also need the spacer.

Mark...

There is a seal to keep oil in the engine and not in the bottom of the pump. When that seal fails it creates a the leak you are experiencing. Replace the pump. With an OEM style mechanical unit. Not a cheap electrical POS. Be aware that if you use a later style mech pump, you will also need the spacer.

Mark...
Mark, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom