80 series oil pressure gauge failure. Help needed! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

So a few days ago my 97 lx450 oil leak worsened and I tackled the job of cleaning years worth of oil/grease that has collected on the engine to pinpoint exactly where the leak was coming from to do a repair. I used a mixture of gunk degreaser, scotch bright pads, various brushes, putty scrapers, dawn dish soap/water mix in a spray bottle, and lots of pressure washing (trying to avoid spraying directly into connectors) to get the engine clean. After many hours of cleaning I got it looking pretty good so I could see where it was coming from. Changed the oil as I was already planning and begun looking for the leak, i believe I have found where my leak is coming from and why it worsened (topped off oil a few days prior seemingly overfilling it and not realizing) but that’s not my reason for posting this. Tonight randomly while driving my oil pressure spiked almost to the H mark on the highway so I immediately pulled off thinking something with the oil change went wrong causing high pressure quickly realizing I probably just got water or degreaser into the sender or somehow grounded it out causing it to read high and overall erratically. I got home and cleaned the connector's, coated them in dielectric grease and re-installed them but to no avail my gauge is permanently stuck at the H mark even when the engine is off and key is out it’s just totally dead. I’m really not comfortable driving without what I consider a critical gauge especially during a time I’m diagnosing other oil related issues despite the truck running and driving totally normal and never having oil pressure issues before it’s just not a risk I’m willing to take. Going forward I want to make sure this repair happens quickly as possible as it’s my primary vehicle, but as luck will have it it’s a holiday weekend and I’m SOL till at least Tuesday so I have some time to think what to do going forward. I’m considering just swapping the sender but the gauge being pinned the way it is even while the trucks off has me worried the actual gauge itself got damaged from this which according to other MUD posts is a possibility.

With that being said I am seeking the wisdom of others on how I should go forward. Thankfully, the leak seems to have slowed down to its slow normal amount after the proper amount of oil is in the engine and I can continue with my plan of doing the known oil leak spots and HG as preventive maintenance this spring.

But with this oil pressure gauge issue I am trying to figure out how to go forward, given the info I’ve provided about what’s been done to the truck the last few days what do you guys think could have caused the gauge issue? Initially it was just an erratic gauge hovering near the H but otw home it pinned to the max and then hasn’t moved since, is this a sign the actual gauge is damaged and a sender won’t do anything? Also the more I read the more I see the stock gauges are more of a suggestion then an accurate reading so I am open to aftermarket gauges. Most seem to run them when their engines have major performance work done to them, Would an aftermarket oil pressure & coolant temp gauge be overkill for a stock 1FZ relatively tamely built truck like mine? If not what would be a good quality affordable gauge to go with? Mechanical or electric? For context the truck is a daily driven rig that will see many thousands of miles of traveling/full time living within the next 4 months. Main goal is to get some kind of reading back ASAP so I can drive it again without worry, but also willing to take the time to future proof it going forward.

Any help is so appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sounds like you grounded out the sender and your needle on the gauge got stuck in the highest position. I did this once before and took the instrument cluster apart and reset the pin. Wasn’t super hard just need some small tweezers and patience.

Sounds like you grounded out the sender and your needle on the gauge got stuck in the highest position. I did this once before and took the instrument cluster apart and reset the pin. Wasn’t super hard just need some small tweezers and patience.

When you say "reset the pin" do you mean you just physically moved it back down to the bottom, or something else?

Yes the spring tension gets all messed up when it has two much voltage applied by grounding it out. it reads way more then the sender would ever read. Read this thread.

Yes the spring tension gets all messed up when it has two much voltage applied by grounding it out. it reads way more then the sender would ever read. Read this thread.
That’s a good read thanks for it. I do believe during the cleaning process I must have done just that causing the gauge to fail. I’ve got a new sender / harness coming to my local Toyota dealer Wednesday. Going to install those and try to adjust the gauge myself to see if I can fix it, that guy is actually in the same town as me maybe he’d be willing to lend a hand. If not I’ll likely just order a new one to install Thanks!

Screenshot_20231230-130845.jpg

Replacing the sending unit isn't likely to fix this if the gauge has been damaged. As posted above, you miht save yourself the cost of a new sending unit by dinking with the gauge cluster first, and seeing if you can get it to read in a normal range.

Historically, my Oil Pressure Gauge is merely an indication that there is some. Its neither graduated nor particularly useful, and spends most of its time at the 2/3 mark just hanging out and having a good time.

Would be nice if someone made a digital oil pressure gauge that dropped into the original cluster.

^^^^^

Yep, until then.

I run a digital Oil Pressure Gauge in tandem with my dash gauge. 'Auber' makes a nice digital gauge that can be mounted a number of places.

I run my Oil Pressure and Trans Temp side by side.

Oil pressure auber.jpg

Replying to this to ask for clarification. Was yours stuck in the up position? Everything I’ve read and those I spoke to have only had this happen in the down position beneath the line. Just making sure that this fix works the same if the gauge is stuck in the high position. New sending unit + harness installed. Going to try to source a new or used gauge incase the bending doesn’t work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom