Oil pressure issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll start by say I just finished rebuild my engine, all new gasket, rings and clutch. So I disconnected the fuel pump relay so I could crank her over a few times to build oil pressure, the problem is the gauge doesn't jump up and upon removing oil pressure sender, no oil was coming out. It appears that she won't build oil and i have no clue why, any suggestions or help is much appreciated

I'll start by say I just finished rebuild my engine, all new gasket, rings and clutch. So I disconnected the fuel pump relay so I could crank her over a few times to build oil pressure, the problem is the gauge doesn't jump up and upon removing oil pressure sender, no oil was coming out. It appears that she won't build oil and i have no clue why, any suggestions or help is much appreciated
Which oil filter do you have installed?

Are you following the FSM oil pressure procedure?

Check the thread for @Fj80oregon and his recent issues are.

How long did you crank it for?

Mark...

Was the oil pump primed during assembly? Should be about 30ml of oil poured into the pump intake in the timing case.

Is the oil pressure relief valve in the timing case clean and moving freely?
I had some damage to the timing case in my engine, this caused the relief valve to jam open, so no oil pressure fed to the engine

Is the o-ring between the timing case and pick up tube good?

The crank bolt torque is mentioned often, but there should also be a key in the key way to secure the oil pump drive gear to the crank. If the key is not in place, you're relying on crank bolt torque to lock the pump drive gear to the crank

I would take the spark plugs out if you haven't already done so, just to keep the stresses on the bearings to a minimum and also it can spin a little faster to help the oil pump. how much cranking have you done? it does take awhile. o-ring between the upper oil pan and timing cover ok?

Ok was totally unaware that the pump needed to be primed during installation, also where is the location for the timing relief valve, torque wrench didn't go that high so crank bolt was done up by rattle gun till rattle gum couldn't move any more

Ok was totally unaware that the pump needed to be primed during installation, also where is the location for the timing relief valve, torque wrench didn't go that high so crank bolt was done up by rattle gun till rattle gum couldn't move any more
Sounds like priming is your issue.
you could try removing the big round plug from the front of the upper oil pan, and use a small hose to direct oil upwards into the pump intake to hand prime the pump chamber before cranking again.

Screenshot_20240201_155039_Brave.jpg

Pressure relief valve is on the left side, about where the power steering pump bolts up.
Remove plug, spring and plunger to inspect. Plunger should slide freely in the port
This is less likely to be the problem unless debris is stuck in it, or there's damage

Sounds like priming is your issue.
you could try removing the big round plug from the front of the upper oil pan, and use a small hose to direct oil upwards into the pump intake to hand prime the pump chamber before cranking again.

View attachment 3547274

Pressure relief valve is on the left side, about where the power steering pump bolts up.
Remove plug, spring and plunger to inspect. Plunger should slide freely in the port
This is less likely to be the problem unless debris is stuck in it, or there's damage
Will try this, sorry but just for clarification, where is the bolt on the upper? Would it be easier to pump oil through the oil pressure sender spot?

Will try this, sorry but just for clarification, where is the bolt on the upper? Would it be easier to pump oil through the oil pressure sender spot?

In the sketch I posted, the bottom red arrow is pointing to a large round allen key plug. This is the oil intake from the sump pick up. It leads up to the oil pump.

Zoom in on the pic
You'll need to prime the system BEFORE the pump.

The oil pressure relief valve is AFTER the pump, you won't be able to prime the pump from there.

In the sketch I posted, the bottom red arrow is pointing to a large round allen key plug. This is the oil intake from the sump pick up. It leads up to the oil pump.

Zoom in on the pic
You'll need to prime the system BEFORE the pump.

The oil pressure relief valve is AFTER the pump, you won't be able to prime the pump from there.
I will try this and update yous after, thanks for the help

On my engine there wasn't any key for the oil pump gear on the crankshaft. Simply held in place by the crank bolt. I too used my pneumatic impact to tighten that bolt.
Not to rub salt...
Priming appears to be vital to get things flowing (luckily I didn't forget that).
Fingers crossed fer ya

i feel like without having the engine out of the truck and upside down you wont be able to pour oil into the pickup location and get it where it needs to be. if there is indeed an airlock problem I would pour oil in at the oil filter location the (it runs down hill to the pump. if you poured oil in and waited a bit it would get get past the clearances in pump and then it should be full of oil.

Oil filter will be the easiest and for sure will go into the pump housing. Your oil filter will be dry as the pump has not filled any oil into the system yet. Don’t fill it through the brass oil bung fill it through the slotted galley to the left of the bung.

IMG_9435.png

Another possible option:

I built one of those out of an old stainless water/fire extinguisher. I put white lithium grease in the pump gears to prime and force oil through everything with the extinguisher.
The Summit racing one is way nicer then mine.

Is step "d" the oil pump priming step mentioned above? This was taken from the timing chain installation procedure.

IMG_2399.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom