7" or 8" wide Toyota Steel Wheels? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
All of the older steel Toyota wheels I'm finding are 6" wide. Well, the ones I want are 6" wide. But to run 33/10.50/15 BFG KO2s I'm thinking 7" or 8" wide would be ideal.

Anyone know a source for 7" or 8" wheels - that will work with the old hub caps? This the look I'm trying to replicate:

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 2.58.12 PM.png

Thanks!

If you find out, I'd like to know as well. I have LC 80 series wheels on my 4Runner and they just don't quite work. Plus the offerings in 16" tires isn't that great.

I've scoured the interwebs and come up empty. Seems the only option - if the goal is to use the Toyota hubcaps - is the 6" wide wheel. Once Toyota went to a wider wheel (7"), they changed to the wheel like that in my profile/avatar pic (which I have on my Land Cruiser).

Everyone I've talked to - Jeep and Toyota guys - assures me that 33/10.50/15s will be absolutely fine on 6" rims. Since I will likely not be autocrossing or breaking any speed records (or limits) in this truck, I'm not overly concerned with super crisp handling. So, my hunt ends - well... except for a tire shop who will mount the tires ;)

I hear 17" FJ Cruiser wheels will fit with spacers (they're for IFS) and they are 7.5" width. I suppose a person could have hubcap clips welded on to their wheels. A small tack weld should be all that's needed? Since I don't care about hubcaps for my 4Runner this may be an option.

What about Stockton wheel? They advertise OEM style wheels for GM same look just wider with ability to use the hubcaps. Maybe they can do Toyota wheels? The GM wheels fit but the hole is too small for your locking hubs. Just an idea.

I'd like to find out as well. I currently have some wheels off of a 4Runner on my rig. It looks nice, but I'm really considering throwing on either black FJ40 wheels. The 4Runner ones are too flashy for me!

Last edited:
The ones you pictured are 5.5" wide. The best option is to buy OEM FJ-40 steel wheels, new, from Toyota (same as you pictured) and ship them off to Stockton Wheel and have them widen to 8". With powder coating, you'd be in to each wheel $250 not including round-trip shipping.

There are other options, but most require welding hubcap clips to similar wheels. Here is some good info:

@G-Cat that thread is gold! Thanks for the link. But wow... $1,200 for wheels... May have to rethink how much I "need" the hubcaps.

Summit sells 15" x 7" wide steel wheels with the 6x5.5 bolt pattern and a 4.25" center bore for $90. Might be cheaper to have the hubcap clips welded in place - since powder coating is a given regardless of which wheel. Or, go with no hubcaps.

(5-bolt version shown in their pic)

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 9.20.38 AM.png

8" White spokes would look really good with that body color too.

I wore out 3 sets of 33-10.50 and one set of 33-9.50 BFG's on 7 inch wheels. 6 is probably pushing it a little bit, but no way would I want 8's for that tire size.

Ran 8's inside of 31-10.50's for years on the avatar and they mostly worked fine. Liked the 7's inside the 33-9.50's & 10.50's much better because they pulled the beads in where they were harder to hit. Running the IFS alloy 15X7's inside 31-10.50's now and still prefer the 7's. Just my preference.

I don't think the shop ordered them yet, but I gave the go-ahead to get 5 Toyota O.E. wheels - 5.5" wide. My extensive, scientific research tells me that they will work and the pros and cons shake out like this:
Pros:
- They'll fit and wear fine
- They'll look great
- Get to use the O.E. hubcaps

Cons:
- Big tire centers won't mount them
- Won't win any autocross races
- May grow tired of guys telling me "Dude, those wheels and tires look great!"

The shop is going to powder coated them Antique White. Now, the only question: White letters in or out? I mean, it's an 80s truck, so I gotta consider letters out.

These are cool but they're 16s....https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/16-wheel-for-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-fj45-fj60-70-series

Or for even bigger money, I can sell you these :)

16x7 and 16x8 aluminum wheels. Hubcaps included!

20181022_173132.jpg
P5311265.JPG

Damn. Those are badass. LOVE the white with the caps. But, I’m guessing they’re more than the Toyota steelies... at $95 ;)

Damn. Those are badass. LOVE the white with the caps. But, I’m guessing they’re more than the Toyota steelies... at $95 ;)

Slightly. Shipping from Japan is probably $95 each. They are huge $ but they are so cool. The quality is incredible. I liked them so much I kept the cream colored ones for me :cool: I knew I shouldn't have ever test fitted them. Ha. They'd look really cool on an early pickup.....uh-oh...see how it starts? Need to immediately NOT think about this....:D

P3082758.JPG
P4163043.JPG
P6071278.JPG

FWIW I ran 33x10.5x15 for years on 7 inch rims and thought they were perfect. I now run 35x12.5x15 also on 7 inch rims and I really like how the rims pull in the wide tires as I don't care for the "balloon" look. It rides great. It also serves a secondary function as a poor mans beadlock. It was common in desert racing to mount 12.5 wide tires on 7" rims to keep the rim out of harms way and to hold the tire on the rim more securely. I don't think you'll have any issues running 33x10.5s on 5.5 or 6 inch rims.

This Total Chaos race truck runs 35x12.5x15 on 7 inch rims

top-image.jpg

My 4runner with 33x10.5x15 on 7 inch rim

33x10.5x15.jpg

My 4runner with 35x12.5x15 on 7 inch rims

35x12.5x15.jpg

Last edited:
My 1977 FJ-40 with 35x12.50 R15 on 7” widened OEM wheels
E335754C-E710-4FC0-89C7-F444F2E53AC9.jpeg

What @yotadude520 said - that's a beautiful 40. The 35s on the widened OE wheels looks killer!

@liveoak the 4Runner looks badass with the canvas cover. Diggin' the 35s on the narrow wheels. That just feels like the right look for these old trucks - pulling the sidewalls in.

@c2dfj45 is that you're 80?! Dude... LOVE the creme wheels and caps! For a second (okay, several seconds) I got my hopes up - "$95 from Japan..." WHAT?! only $500 for a set of 5... oh... wait... that's to ship the $1,300 wheels. Whoops ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom